RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest3273 (54.157.61.68)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : General Discussion : Reading "History of Religion?????" Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #17666 of 18360  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
all
Mike Reed  
History of Religion?????
9/17/07, 12:08am
graphic

History of religion??

Well, I have yet to research the accuracy of all of these claims, however, it makes an interesting video.

If even half these statements are true, it shows a push towards trying to create an image that blends various religions and backgrounds together to make it easier for people to convert or for people to relate to a dominant culture that took over.

Whatever type of religion you believe in, this video will either make you laugh, cry, or just simply make you wonder.

As if we all don't wonder enough.

But had to share it. Found it one late night while I was youtubeing

Reply to Msg #17666
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Mike Reed 's Blog

Message #17667 of 18360  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Mike Reed
saundrabeach  
Re: History of Religion?????
9/17/07, 5:48am (Last Edited: 9/17/07, 5:52am)
graphic
Wonder indeed...Thank you for sharing this Miguel...ummmm. I always just "believed" because it was in my heart. Being Jewish and attending a Catholic Boarding School at a very tender age with nuns caught me or indoctrinated or...hummm. I then studied with the Jehovah Witnesses at 20-21 years of age, that seemed interesting too with their fears of 1975's end of the system of things i.e. "Armageddon...

This utube did not make me laugh, but promoted a new interesting and a "wow" in me.

If true, incredible, logical and most interesting.

Anyway something else to thing about.

I love your continued thirst for knowledge! Like me...

--------------------------------------------------------
TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #17667
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #17668 of 18360  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Mike Reed
BestLight
9/17/07, 7:51am
That was interesting. I'm glad I got past the very off-putting first part, which just made fun of religion without stating a case.

Some facts I can't verify:
1. "horizon" coming from "Horus has risen"
2. "hours" coming from the name Horus
3. "sunset" coming from Horus and Seth.

I believe these are all word that descend from Greek and Latin, not Egyptian. (Although they could easily have intermixed, since the cultures are all geographically close and historically intertwined).

4. Bethlehem meaning House of Bread. It was my understanding that it came from semitic "Beit Lahm," or House of Meat/Lamb.

If you want more on this subject and have time for a Michener book, check out The Source.

Studying history gave me a different view of religion than the one I grew up with. It's a fascinating topic.

Reply to Msg #17668
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #17671 of 18360  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Mike Reed
Larry Levy  
9/17/07, 9:26am
graphic
Hi, Mike,

Thanks for sharing that. The video would work a lot better without the beginning part. That really detracts from what the author was trying to say.

I don't buy the argument, but I defend his right to post it.

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #17671
Back to Topics

Message #17672 of 18360  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Mike Reed
Rob Reed  
9/17/07, 10:20am (Last Edited: 9/17/07, 10:26am)
graphic
Interesting video, but nothing new. The unfortunate fact is that the majority of the video has little evidence to back it up.

Take this site:

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen046.html

This site itemizes the same similarities between Horus and Jesus. As its basis for evidence, it uses the "Egyptian Book of the Dead" that details the story of Horus. This book predates Jesus by I believe about 1200 years (if memory serves, I think the vid says that the story is 3000 years old, but with no evidence).

Unfortunately, for the author of this page (which very well could have been used by the maker of this video), the internet also happens to have a complete translation of the Egyptian Book of the Dead. While I admit that I only did cursory searches for support for the claims listed on the above site and in the video, I found NOTHING to support any claims.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Papyrus_of_Ani

No mention of virgin birth. No mention of December 25th, for that matter (on that subject, really briefly because I could write a book on this, possibly, lol - no Christian religious scholar in his or her right mind would deny the heavy presence of Pagan customs in Christian tradition. Heck, even what we call the Easter celebration is nothing more than a conversion of Pagan rituals performed BEFORE Christ. The same can be said of December 25th being used as the Christ birthdate).

I believe that popular opinion is that Catholicism (i.e., early Christianity) attempted to cleanse, if you will, popular Pagan cultural rites by converting them to Christian celebrations.

This, of course, in no way refutes the Christ story, you should note.

For instance, nowhere in the Bible will you find references to Jesus being born on December 25th or even having been crucified and resurrected during the Easter season!

On the subject of some of these other similarities, you will find that there is little to no evidence to back up most of these claims.

http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/osy.html

Moving on... most interesting, is the fact that ALL Dionysis/Osiris/Horus/Mithra references of "resurrection" that mirror Jesus all appear in documentation that was written AFTER Jesus!

See these YouTube videos for an interesting debate/discussion on this resurrection topic.

Part I:

Part II:

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #17672
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter