RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest15916 (18.210.22.132)
Posts: 0
Read Mode: Topics
Status: Guest
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Tin Chef (Cooking and Recipes) : Reading "I learned a new thing on how to make pasta dishes better! " Thread

Username Password


This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #2032 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Marie Reed  
I learned a new thing on how to make pasta dishes better!
12/1/05, 8:36pm (Last Edited: 12/1/05, 9:47pm)
graphic
When Rob and I were on our cruise vacation, our friend, Julie, attended a tour around the Sapphire Princess Cruise kitchens. She learned that in order to make better pasta dishes, you should cook the pasta al dente ("Cooked enough to be firm" or not thoroughly cooked), mix the pasta with whatever sauce you want (say spaghetti or Alfredo sauce) and let the pasta cook completely with the sauce. This way, the pasta absorbs the sauce.

I actually made spaghetti last night and tried it. What a difference! Rob described it as the best spaghetti he's ever had. I used to serve it with the sauce over the pasta, and the sauce wouldn't stick to the pasta. Rob said that it was like having two dishes -- pasta and then the sauce. But now that I've experimented and tried cooking the pasta with the sauce... WOW! So much flavor! Rob now considers my spaghetti as one dish.

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #2032
Back to Topics


Message #2033 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Marie Reed
Rob Reed  
Re: I learn a new thing on how to make pasta dishes better!
12/1/05, 8:50pm (Last Edited: 12/1/05, 8:52pm)
graphic
Pasta in the Reed house will never be the same! Marie crockpotted her sauce the last time she made spaghetti (she didn't last night).

I can't wait to try that... the crockpotted sauce was SOOOOO good, you didn't need the spaghetti. But, with this new method Marie picked up, I'm thinking it will be the best spaghetti I ever had.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #2033
Back to Topics


Message #2034 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Larry Levy  
Re: I learn a new thing on how to make pasta dishes better!
12/1/05, 9:34pm
graphic
That sounds great!

I know Janice has a recipe for crockpot spaghetti sauce too. We've been meaning to try it.

--------------------------------------------------------
" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #2034
Back to Topics


Message #2036 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Marie Reed
murphy brown  
Re: I learned a new thing on how to make pasta dishes better!
12/2/05, 6:12am (Last Edited: 12/2/05, 6:13am)
graphic
>When Rob and I were on our cruise vacation, our friend, Julie,
>attended a tour around the Sapphire Princess Cruise kitchens.
>She learned that in order to make better pasta dishes, you
>should cook the pasta al dente ("Cooked enough to be firm" or
>not thoroughly cooked), mix the pasta with whatever sauce you
>want (say spaghetti or Alfredo sauce) and let the pasta cook
>completely with the sauce. This way, the pasta absorbs the
>sauce.
>
>I actually made spaghetti last night and tried it. What a
>difference! Rob described it as the best spaghetti he's ever
>had. I used to serve it with the sauce over the pasta, and
>the sauce wouldn't stick to the pasta. Rob said that it was
>like having two dishes -- pasta and then the sauce. But now
>that I've experimented and tried cooking the pasta with the
>sauce... WOW! So much flavor! Rob now considers my spaghetti
>as one dish.
>
>

Great info....I love spaghetti but like Rob its always like two dishes. Makes sense to finish cooking it in the sauce.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, totally worn out, shouting..Holy Shit!!
What a Ride!!"
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #2036
Back to Topics


Message #2037 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
murphy brown
Rob Reed  
Re: I learned a new thing on how to make pasta dishes better!
12/2/05, 9:37am
graphic
>Great info....I love spaghetti but like Rob its always like
>two dishes. Makes sense to finish cooking it in the sauce.

That is exactly what I thought... why didn't we ever think of it before?

With the "two separate dish" thing, the sauce almost seems to repel from the noodle. With this cooking method, the noodles really absorb the sauce (and the garlic-tomato flavor that Marie has mastered).

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #2037
Back to Topics


Message #2038 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
murphy brown
BBlast
Re: I learned a new thing on how to make pasta dishes better!
12/3/05, 5:49am
graphic
>>When Rob and I were on our cruise vacation, our friend,
>Julie,
>>attended a tour around the Sapphire Princess Cruise
>kitchens.
>>She learned that in order to make better pasta dishes, you
>>should cook the pasta al dente ("Cooked enough to be firm"
>or
>>not thoroughly cooked), mix the pasta with whatever sauce
>you
>>want (say spaghetti or Alfredo sauce) and let the pasta cook
>>completely with the sauce. This way, the pasta absorbs the
>>sauce.
>>
>>I actually made spaghetti last night and tried it. What a
>>difference! Rob described it as the best spaghetti he's
>ever
>>had. I used to serve it with the sauce over the pasta, and
>>the sauce wouldn't stick to the pasta. Rob said that it was
>>like having two dishes -- pasta and then the sauce. But now
>>that I've experimented and tried cooking the pasta with the
>>sauce... WOW! So much flavor! Rob now considers my
>spaghetti
>>as one dish.
>>
>>
>
>Great info....I love spaghetti but like Rob its always like
>two dishes. Makes sense to finish cooking it in the sauce.

I make it both ways dependng on my mood at the time! And I like it both ways too!

Here is also a hint..when you drain the pasta, save a splash of the water and put it with your pasta. Makes it not so dry.

Also, try this..NO sauce! A little very good olive oil and garlic and some basil. Sounds odd, but it is really quite good.


--------------------------------------------------------
"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #2038
Back to Topics


Message #2039 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
murphy brown  
Re: I learned a new thing on how to make pasta dishes better!
12/3/05, 7:24am
graphic
>>Great info....I love spaghetti but like Rob its always like
>>two dishes. Makes sense to finish cooking it in the sauce.
>
>That is exactly what I thought... why didn't we ever think of
>it before?
>
>With the "two separate dish" thing, the sauce almost seems to
>repel from the noodle. With this cooking method, the noodles
>really absorb the sauce (and the garlic-tomato flavor that
>Marie has mastered).

Only thing Id think is youd need like twice the sauce unless you like pasta on the dry side...which I do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, totally worn out, shouting..Holy Shit!!
What a Ride!!"
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #2039
Back to Topics


Message #2040 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BBlast
murphy brown  
Re: I learned a new thing on how to make pasta dishes better!
12/3/05, 7:26am
graphic
>>Great info....I love spaghetti but like Rob its always like
>>two dishes. Makes sense to finish cooking it in the sauce.
>
>I make it both ways dependng on my mood at the time! And I
>like it both ways too!
>
>Here is also a hint..when you drain the pasta, save a splash
>of the water and put it with your pasta. Makes it not so dry.
>
>
>Also, try this..NO sauce! A little very good olive oil and
>garlic and some basil. Sounds odd, but it is really quite
>good.
>
That doesnt appeal to me. Like the pizza its the tomato flavor I really crave and like.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, totally worn out, shouting..Holy Shit!!
What a Ride!!"
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #2040
Back to Topics


Message #2041 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
saundrabeach  
Re: I learn a new thing on how to make pasta dishes better!
12/7/05, 1:54pm
graphic
It's been a long while I guess. But I always made my spaghetti that way. that's why Jas can't get enough of it...lol Always better the next day too when the sauce has had plenty of time to saturate into the noodles. That's when I like it.

--------------------------------------------------------
TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #2041
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter