RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest18150 (18.208.186.19)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Tin Chef (Cooking and Recipes) : Reading "Rob's Mini Black and White Cookies " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #2056 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Marie Reed  
Rob's Mini Black and White Cookies
12/10/05, 9:39pm (Last Edited: 12/24/05, 10:33am)
graphic
Rob thought he'd try out a recipe he found in our Gourmet magazine, Mini Black and White Cookies. Although he has to master the "look" of black and white cookies, they certainly tasted like black and white cookies. YUM! I was pleasantly surprised at how great they turned out.

I'll have Rob provide you all with the recipe.

Rob the baker.

Reply to Msg #2056
Back to Topics

Message #2062 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Marie Reed
Rob Reed  
Re: Rob's Mini Black and White Cookies
12/12/05, 1:59pm
graphic
We used to have this Jewish bakery near us when I lived in North Hollywood called "Brown's." It was located on Victory Blvd., near Coldwater Canyon.

Five years or so ago, the original owner died... and the place, unfortunately, went out of business.

So good was this place, that Marie and I still went there to get our bagels and black and white cookies when we moved to the north end of the valley.

Saddest for me was that everywhere I have gone, I could not find a black and white cookie that was anywhere near as good as the one I got at Brown's.

That is, until Gourmet magazine printed a recipe for them this past month... and they taste EXACTLY like Brown's.

Recipe to follow soon.

They looked sloppy... my vanilla/white side was a little runny... and I made some "black and blacks" (cuz black was always my favorite side anyway). But they were just like Mr. Brown used to make.

Good eats.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #2062
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Rob Reed's Blog

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #2063 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Larry Levy  
12/12/05, 3:54pm
graphic
YUMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

There is another Kosher bakery in Valley Village now on Burbank Blvd. I can't remember the name, but one of the guys who used to work here used to bring in the best spinach borekas I've ever had....Next to my grandmother's of course!

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #2063
Back to Topics

Message #2064 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
saundrabeach  
12/23/05, 2:12am
graphic
Great memories....Browns bakery used to give us a lot of free baked goods cause they liked you kids and I thibnk they realised we didn't have much...

I want the recipe please.

If they really taste like Browns I will be in heaven! Might replace mom's chocolate chip cookies! Yummm

Didn't know they were closed...awww gee...

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #2064
Back to Topics

Message #2065 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Rob Reed  
Black and White Cookies Recipe
12/24/05, 9:59am
graphic
Here it is:

Ingredients:

For cookies --

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cub well shaken buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (almost whole cube)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg

For icings --

2 3/4 cups confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4-6 tablespoons of water (3 was good enough for me)
1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder (I used Kroger's)

Make cookies:

Put over racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 350. Butter 2 large baking sheets. Baking sheets should be relatively thin. I used one thin and one kind of thick, and the ones on the thick sheet took longer to bake.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In a separate cup, stir together buttermilk and vanilla.

Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes, then add egg, beating until well combined.

Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture in batches, alternatively, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix until just smooth.

Drop rounded teaspoons of batter, 1 inch apart on baking sheets. Bake, switching positions of rack halfway through baking (top goes to bottom and vice versa). Bake until tops are puffed, edges are pale golden and cookies spring back when touched, 6 to 8 mins total. Transfer to rack to cool.

For icing:

Stir together confectioners sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl until smooth. If icing is not easily spreadable, add more water 1/2 teaspoon at a time.

Transfer 1/2 of icing to another bowl and stir in the cocoa, adding more water as necessary. Be sparing with the water. It is very easy to make it too runny.

With flat spatula, spread white icing over half the flat side of the cookie. Starting with cookies you iced first (so vanilla side has a bit of time to dry), spread choclate side on the other halves.

There ya have it.

Source: Gourmet Magazine, Dec. 2005 edition, page 94

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #2065
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Rob Reed's Blog

Message #2066 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Marie Reed  
12/26/05, 10:02pm
graphic
Rob the baked the cookies again. Only this time, they were better! We brought half the batch to my cousin's Chirstmas party, and they were a hit. My whole family was very impressed that Rob baked them from scratch.

Reply to Msg #2066
Back to Topics

Message #2067 of 2745  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Marie Reed
Guest10933 (IP: 207.200.116.9)
12/27/05, 9:20am
Sounds great. We had a great Christmas party here in Vegas too.

Reply to Msg #2067
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter