RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Guest24197
User: Guest25530 (35.168.111.191)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Travel, Hiking & Exploring : Reading "Another Morning of Fishing and Shark Encounter " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #1590 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
Another Morning of Fishing and Shark Encounter
7/1/05, 10:30am (Last Edited: 7/1/05, 10:44am)
I had a little bit of a late start today going fishing. I was reasonably certian that with it being a solo trip that I could limit out quickly and be done.

The bait fish schools were out in force. The schools are a feeding frenzy as tiny glass minnows gather and attract larger fish. The water will turn frothy white with all of the feeding activity.

I stopped briefly to toss a tiny mirror lure into the fray on very light tackle but got no takers so I proceeded out to my spot. I anchored and set my lines out. 5 minutes later my starboard side rod bowed over double and the reel started screaming as a fish lit out for parts unknown. With a hop and a skip I crossed the deck and had the rod in hand and engaged the fighting drag on the reel and.....Son!....The Fight Was On!

The fish started a rapid run off the starboard side and suddenly ahead of the fight I was amazed to see a giant king skyrocket from the water. The fish jumped nearly 6' above the surface but covered a distance of about 25'. At the nearest point he was about 10' off the starboard side of the boat. I was stunned as in atypical fashion his tail end spun and he reentered the water tail first. As I was witnessing this the fish I was fighting skyrocketed as well. I could see my hook rig in his mouth as he traced nearly the same path as the previous fish. What was stunning about this one was the huge brown shadow that was just about two feet behind this king. As the fish took to the air the huge shark's dorsal surfaced as he followed just under the surface.

I was in complete awe and was very concerned that I was going to loose my fish to the shark. The speed in which the animal moved was incredible. The shark was very obviously a hammerhead between 6' and 8' long and he was in full view as he raced past the boat. Just after the king reentered the water there was a flurry of activity and all you could see was white salt spray and brown shark fins. I kept my line tight and the king sounded. The fight of the fish changed from one of escape to a more typical battle. The king expended the last of his energy running into my anchor line. One of my hooks wrapped around the line and the big king just floated, exhausted by the dual fights for survival. I looked around for the shark and knew I had to act fast. Keeping the line tight I lifted the anchor rope to bring the king nearer to the surface. I did not have time to get the gaff and was fishing solo. I got the king within a foot of the surface and careful to keep my hand away from the sharp end of the fish I grabbed the tail and quickly flipped the fish into the boat.

Having seen the speed of the shark I was concerned that he may zip in from an unseen location as I was grabbing the fish. The king was a huge one and I got him on ice and another bait in the water.

Moments later both rods bent double and gave out with a simultanious scream. I grabbed the nearest and engaged the fight and flipped the other reel into fighting drag. "WoooHoo! This is what it is all about!" I screamed to a nearby boater and his bikini clad companion. I was engaged with a fight on one rod and the other was bent double. I fought a bonita to boatside and flipped him into the cooler. Bonitas, also known as little tuny, are very bloody fish and are not recommended for eating but make great baits especially for sharks. I grabbed the other rod and soon had another bonita to boatside to complete the double. I released this one.

Moments later I had both rods baited and out again. I walked forward to grab a water from my food cooler. As I was pulling the bottle from the wrapper my starboard rod and reel began screaming again. I dropped my water bottle in my seat and engaged the fight on another king. This one was somewhat smaller than the first and I managed to boat him with the aid of the gaff.

I was limited out on kings and left the last one hooked in the cooler so I could get my other rod in before it hooked up. What a great day of fishing!

As I got back to the dock I could see that K.C. had escaped the yard and was sitting out in the lagoon neck deep waiting for me to return.

I have some pics for today that I will post soon although, unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of the shark or the flying mackerals. Right now though I have to cleaned up and get ready for work. I'll be working late tonight.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #1590
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Robert Jones's Blog

Message #1593 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Thomas Canty
Re: Another Morning of Fishing and Shark Encounter
7/1/05, 11:47am
I should dust off my fishing gear one of these days and head back out. I haven't been out in a few years. My brother and I used to take the half-day boats out to the Channel Islands every weekend for a long time. Then he moved to Oxnard, about three blocks from one of our favorite boat's docks, and we never went out again for some reason...

http://www.ldphotography.net/

Reply to Msg #1593
Back to Topics

Message #1599 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
7/1/05, 11:12pm
It will be at least tomorrow before I can get any pics up. I just got home from work and I gotta walk K.C. and get some sleep....I is sleepy

Reply to Msg #1599
Back to Topics

Message #1601 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
saundrabeach  
7/2/05, 10:37am
graphic
Hemingway has nothing on you Robert the way you relate a "fishing story". Ever gone after the "Big Fish?"

Now that would be a tale, fish "tail" perhaps. lol

I felt like I was in the boat with you all the action, including vomiting from sea sickness. Yuck...rofl

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #1601
Back to Topics

Message #1604 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Robert Jones  
7/2/05, 12:24pm (Last Edited: 7/2/05, 12:58pm)
Here are some of the fishing trip pics. The first ones will be of the bait schools. The next one will show K.C. sitting neck deep in the lagoon waiting for me to come home and the next will show the catch for the day.

Thanks to ImageShack for hosting

Note mid left above the fin of a fish sticking out of the surface.

The above shows my beloved poor old dumb dog sitting in the water waiting and watching for me to return.

The middle fish is the king the shark was after. The lower fish is a bonita. The upper is a smaller king.

Reply to Msg #1604
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Robert Jones's Blog

Message #1605 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach
Robert Jones  
7/2/05, 12:41pm (Last Edited: 7/2/05, 12:42pm)
>Hemingway has nothing on you Robert the way you relate a
>"fishing story". Ever gone after the "Big Fish?"
>
>Now that would be a tale, fish "tail" perhaps. lol
>
>I felt like I was in the boat with you all the action,
>including vomiting from sea sickness. Yuck...rofl
>
>

Ms. Saundra,

I always go after the big fish. I am swingin' for the grand slam every time out.

You would not be the first to ever get seasick on my boat. You would be in good company....but if it is a good day there will be too much excitement to think about getting seasick.

Reply to Msg #1605
Back to Topics

Message #1606 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
saundrabeach  
7/2/05, 1:36pm
graphic
Love the shot of your Golden "KC" they are so loving and loyal. They love water too. We had a part Golden and she loved to get into our swimming pool all by herself to cool off. I miss her. She was a nut, cause she had part another breed in her, but a sweet girl any way. Neat shot of the fish. Tried Bonita one time and thought it tasted "nasty"

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #1606
Back to Topics

Message #1607 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Randy Edwards  
7/2/05, 5:41pm
graphic
The hardest part I have on Booga's boat, is standing up when it's rocking. But, still fun anyway.

Life is great..........Randy

Reply to Msg #1607
Back to Topics

Message #1610 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
BBlast
7/3/05, 8:31am
graphic
>Here are some of the fishing trip pics. The first ones will
>be of the bait schools. The next one will show K.C. sitting
>neck deep in the lagoon waiting for me to come home and the
>next will show the catch for the day.
>
>Thanks to ImageShack for hosting

What city is that?

"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

Reply to Msg #1610
Back to Topics

Message #1611 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Robert Jones  
7/3/05, 2:13pm
I was out again today in a friend's boat and the hammerheads were out again. There were at least two of them this time. One was nearly 10' long and the other was 6'to 7' long. We were on the same location and we spotted one frolicing on the surface between us an another boat. He appeared to be chasing his tail. He was making tight circles. He passed beneath our boat still doing the same behavior.

Another boat nearby hooked into a hammerhead using light 20lb tackle. They abandoned their anchor on a bouy to back the shark down. While they were engaged with the fish we hooked a bonita. The hookup got the attention of the 10' hammer and he chased the hooked fish within 10' of the boat. We got the bonita in finally.

I did see another boat on location with one of the occupants trying to hand feed a fish to one of the sharks. We caught a barricuda and a bonita today. The fishing was not as hot as it was a couple of days ago.

Today the seas were four to five foot. We took a pounding running into those seas. I feel beat to heck today from those seas. Luckily we were in a 21' boat today and not my 16' one. It was rough enough that I would have turned back in my little boat.

Reply to Msg #1611
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter