RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Guest21666
User: Guest21814 (3.234.214.179)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Travel, Hiking & Exploring : Reading "Hole in the Wall - Mojave National Preserve Trip Report - Part 3" Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #2804 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Carol  
Hole in the Wall - Mojave National Preserve Trip Report - Part 3
2/24/06, 8:32am
graphic

Hole in the Wall is a place where volcanic rhyolite ash solidified into cliffs that have eroded into fantastic shapes including, you guessed it, holes. We took the Rings Trail down through a steep canyon. This trail is so named because there are metal rings that serve as hand and toe holds as you descend into the very narrow canyon. But I think the rings were placed by a tall person as they didnít seem to be quite the right distance away from one another to make for an easy descent for me! I managed to make it down, though. At the bottom is an amphitheatre of some of the most fantastically shaped rocks that I have ever seenÖ

On the other side of Hole in the Wall there is a butte which we decided to climb. Jeffry made it to the top by a tough scramble while I decided most of the way up was good for me. After coming down we hiked north a ways but decided it was going to be real tough to get over the rhyolite cliffs. So we went back to the Rings Trail and went through that way. Just before getting to the canyon where the rings are we saw and heard two raptors seeming to have a territorial dispute flying high near the top of the cliffs. They didnít look or sound like hawks; perhaps they were prairie falcons or merlins?

Back at the trailhead we decided to go by the visitor center there. We talked to a ranger there about the raptors we saw but she didnít know what they were. We also told her of the petroglyphs we had seen at the lava flow and she told us where to find more nearbythat were estimated to be about 12,000 years old! We hiked the short distance to see them and then returned to the truck. By then it was about 2:00 p.m. so we started the long drive home.

We stopped in Newberry Springs to pick up my wallet. Many thanks to the nice person who turned it in; everything was intact! Then we drove on west to Barstow then Mojave. In Mojave we stopped again at Jerryís diner for some root beer floats then I took Jeffry back to his car. He had some trouble opening his car doors and ended up going through the trunk. There was a highway patrolman who had just pulled over someone down the street and we thought he may come over and accuse us of breaking into the car! But he must've not seen us and after transferring Jeffry's gear from my truck to his car we parted ways.

I had a great time! Jeffry is forever being silly and his antics and sayings and jokes and songs heís constantly making up crack me up. I enjoy hiking with him and I hope to see him again soon!

More pics here! http://www.tarol.com/mojave_holeinwall.html

--------------------------------------------------------
The mountains are calling and I must go. ~ John Muir ~ www.tarol.com
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply to Msg #2804
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Carol 's Blog

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter