RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Guest21666
User: Guest21814 (3.234.214.179)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Travel, Hiking & Exploring : Reading "Rocky Mountain National Park " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #2832 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
Rocky Mountain National Park
3/3/06, 11:40pm (Last Edited: 3/4/06, 12:35am)

As promised, I made it into Rocky Mountain National Park during my visit to Colorado. This is my first visit to the park during the winter.

The park was snowbound and only the first 10 miles of the park road were open from the western side.

This Florida boy tried out snowshoes for the first time. The guy at the rental place told me that the shoes I got should float right on the snow with no problems. I could not get the straps to remain tight and I did take a step off of the packed trail and post holed and face planted into the snow. It's all good though.

I found that most of the wildlife had migrated to lower ground to the west and over on the eastern slope near Estes Park.

I did find some sign of some recent passings and I spoke to a park ranger who had seen a cow moose and calf a week or so earlier.

My snow shoes would not let me walk in stealth nor in comfort. I did hike a little ways down the Onahu Trail. This trail is an old friend as I backpacked this section of trail several years ago. I found it interesting to see a different face to the trail with my winter visit. This trip I did find a lone squirrel casually working away at his winter cache of food. He entertained me a while before disappearing down through a network of holes in the snow with his winter meal.

Thanks To Imageshack For Hosting

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #2832
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Robert Jones's Blog

Message #2833 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
BestLight
Re: Rocky Mountain National Park
3/4/06, 7:39am
You know the old cliche about the New Yorker who doesn't notice the Statue of Liberty? I guess that's me witht the beauty of Colorado.

Thanks, Rob, for allowing me to see it through your eyes. Excellent pix!

Reply to Msg #2833
Back to Topics

Message #2834 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Thomas Canty
3/4/06, 10:19am
>This Florida boy tried out snowshoes for the first time. The
>guy at the rental place told me that the shoes I got should
>float right on the snow with no problems. I could not get the
>straps to remain tight and I did take a step off of the packed
>trail and post holed and face planted into the snow.

LOL... It takes a while to get used to those. When I bought my pair a few years ago, I headed to a picnic area near Islip Saddle on Angeles Crest Highway where there was just a foot or two of snow so I could practice. Once you've got the hang of it, it isn't so bad, but you sure do get a workout!

Nice pictures. Great job on the squirrel. He's a lot darker than the ones we have out here.

http://www.ldphotography.net/

Reply to Msg #2834
Back to Topics

Message #2841 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BestLight
Robert Jones  
3/4/06, 12:53pm
>You know the old cliche about the New Yorker who doesn't
>notice the Statue of Liberty? I guess that's me witht the
>beauty of Colorado.
>
>Thanks, Rob, for allowing me to see it through your eyes.
>Excellent pix!

Lori,

Colorado is one of my favorite places on earth. It will always hold a special place in my heart as I think I discovered myself there. It happened when I was about 12 years old and I stepped off of a airplane in Durango, Colorado. I saw the Rockies for the first time and breathed in that Colorado air. I knew something came alive in me then and the Rockies have sang a siren song to me ever since. I have always wanted to live there in the mountains. Over time, I find that living where I do that I can get away one or two times per year and my reacquaintence is always a renewal of that intitial feeling of awe and appeciation. I think living there that I might desensitize and loose that feeling and I don't want to do that.

I see things here in Florida that others are oblivious to as well. I love living here and I love the people too. I mourn over all of the development that is taking place as I feel like I am aware of what we are loosing that can't be replaced. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who sees it.

Reply to Msg #2841
Back to Topics

Message #2842 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Robert Jones  
3/4/06, 12:59pm
My straps kept working loose and then the snow shoe would take a dangle or I would step out of them. I kept having to stop and cinch them up again. I prefer to be a lot more stealthy in the woods. I could not walk without making a lot of noise in those things.

Thanks for the compliment on the squirrel. I am not certain on the type of squirrel. I will have to do some further research. I stopped at the visitor center hoping to get a book that would help me to identify it but they did not have much selection.

That squirrel pic made me think of some of your work.

Reply to Msg #2842
Back to Topics

Message #2844 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Larry Levy  
3/4/06, 2:31pm
graphic
Beautiful pictures!!!!!!

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #2844
Back to Topics

Message #2847 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Thomas Canty
3/5/06, 2:54am
>Thanks for the compliment on the squirrel. I am not certain
>on the type of squirrel.

I'll look through my book when I get home from work and see if I can find it.

Reply to Msg #2847
Back to Topics

Message #2849 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Robert Jones  
3/5/06, 7:40am
I am pretty sure that it is a young Abert's Squirrel

Reply to Msg #2849
Back to Topics

Message #2850 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Thomas Canty
3/5/06, 10:00am
>I am pretty sure that it is a young Abert's Squirrel

The Albert's Squirrel in my book is light grey with very long hair on the tips of the ears. That looks nothing like your squirrel here. I'd say that's a negative...

I don't see anything else that really looks similar though. The Eastern Fox Squirrel has the same coloring, but again, the ears are wrong (no hair at all on its ears).

I think the winter color change is making this too difficult. The Eastern Gray Squirrel might be it, but the picture in this book shows the tail over the back, covering the head. Kinda hard to tell from that...

Reply to Msg #2850
Back to Topics

Message #2851 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Robert Jones  
3/5/06, 10:07am
I found a picture of an Abert's online that was nearly black. I suspect that the squirrel I have pictured is a juvenile Abert's Squirrel. I also googled mammals of Rocky Mountain National Park and checked the listing of native squirrels. The Abert's was the closest I could find. The tufted ears on this squirrel are not as pronounced as what I saw on the photo of an adult Abert's....There is a degree of uncertainty with this ID though.

Reply to Msg #2851
Back to Topics

Message #2852 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Robert Jones  
3/5/06, 11:44am
Thanks to Carol for the ID. I checked RMNP mammals list and the Chickaree is native to RMNP and I found a photo on that site that pretty much confirms the ID especially the white circles around the eyes.

Reply to Msg #2852
Back to Topics

Message #2853 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Carol  
3/5/06, 11:55am (Last Edited: 3/5/06, 11:57am)
graphic
Chickarees are one of my favorite animals. They are very common in the Sierra and the Rockies. They are such vocal squirrels, I've had one chew me out many times when I dare enter their little piece of the woods. They're also very territorial. They eat giant sequoia cones and usually it's just one chickaree per giant sequoia! When they chop down the sequoia cones, watch out! Those little green cones are like a bomb when they come hurling to the ground from 200-300 feet up!

They were also one of John Muir's favorite animals. He called them a "bright chip of nature." He devoted one whole chapter to them in his book "The Mountains of California"...

http://www.sierraclub.org/john_muir_exhibit/framein
dex.html?http://www.sierraclub.org/john_muir_exhibi
t/writings/the_mountains_of_california/chapter_9.ht
ml

"One never tires of this bright chip of nature,--this brave little voice crying in the wilderness,--of observing his many works and ways, and listening to his curious language. His musical, piny gossip is as savory to the ear as balsam to the palate; and, though he has not exactly the gift of song, some of his notes are as sweet as those of a linnet--almost flute-like in softness, while others prick and tingle like thistles. He is the mocking-bird of squirrels, pouring forth mixed chatter and song like a perennial fountain; barking like a dog, screaming like a hawk, chirping like a blackbird or a sparrow; while in bluff, audacious noisiness he is a very jay."

The mountains are calling and I must go. ~ John Muir ~ www.tarol.com

Reply to Msg #2853
Back to Topics

Message #2854 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Carol  
3/5/06, 12:18pm (Last Edited: 3/5/06, 12:23pm)
graphic
It also looks like your chickaree was busy gathering or eating lodgepole pine cones. When I worked at the Centennial Visitor Center in Wyoming during the fall/early winter of 2001, I watched a chickaree gather up an enormous supply of lodgepole pine cones. He cached them in a tree's base that had been scared by fire. In the spring I checked and there was nothing but pine cone skeletons left.

This chickaree was constantly up on my deck when I lived at Camp Nelson eating the bird seed that dropped from my feeder. My two cats loved watching him He's (or she's) a lot leaner than your chickaree.

The mountains are calling and I must go. ~ John Muir ~ www.tarol.com

Reply to Msg #2854
Back to Topics

Message #2858 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
murphy brown  
3/5/06, 8:22pm
graphic
SUPER pics again Robert.....I love the one with the squirrel holding a treasure in his mouth.

"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, totally worn out, shouting..Holy Shit!!
What a Ride!!"

Reply to Msg #2858
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter