RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Guest21666
User: Guest21814 (3.234.214.179)
Posts: 0
Read Mode: Topics
Status: Guest
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Travel, Hiking & Exploring : Reading "The Next Big Thing" Thread

Username Password


This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #3257 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
The Next Big Thing
7/8/06, 6:46pm
It looks like I am going to be taking a trek to Kodiak Island and Katmai National Park in Alaska during the summer of 2007. I am in the early planning stages for the trip. I would go this year but my leave balances are pretty much depleted. By waiting I should hopefully have three weeks to spend in the area. I am excited about the prospect of exploring this part of Alaska.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #3257
Back to Topics


Message #3261 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
BBlast
Re: The Next Big Thing
7/9/06, 5:19am
graphic
>It looks like I am going to be taking a trek to Kodiak Island
>and Katmai National Park in Alaska during the summer of 2007.
>I am in the early planning stages for the trip. I would go
>this year but my leave balances are pretty much depleted. By
>waiting I should hopefully have three weeks to spend in the
>area. I am excited about the prospect of exploring this part
>of Alaska.

Robert, you ever see that show, "Deadlist Catch"? About crab fisherman in Alaska.

No, I am not suggesting anything..it's just that the show, shows these guys in some pretty awful weather trying to get some seafood on the plate!

--------------------------------------------------------
"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #3261
Back to Topics


Message #3266 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BBlast
Larry Levy  
Re: The Next Big Thing
7/9/06, 12:02pm
graphic
>>It looks like I am going to be taking a trek to Kodiak
>Island
>>and Katmai National Park in Alaska during the summer of 2007.
>
>>I am in the early planning stages for the trip. I would go
>>this year but my leave balances are pretty much depleted.
>By
>>waiting I should hopefully have three weeks to spend in the
>>area. I am excited about the prospect of exploring this
>part
>>of Alaska.
>
>Robert, you ever see that show, "Deadlist Catch"? About crab
>fisherman in Alaska.
>
>No, I am not suggesting anything..it's just that the show,
>shows these guys in some pretty awful weather trying to get
>some seafood on the plate!
>
>

Matt and I were saying the other night, now that we've watched that show, we can appreciate why Alaskan crab is so expensive. That is one job I would not like to have!

--------------------------------------------------------
" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #3266
Back to Topics


Message #3268 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BBlast
Robert Jones  
Re: The Next Big Thing
7/9/06, 8:29pm
If I did not have worry about maintaining my benefits and my state retirement I would jump at the chance to take that job. What an adventure that would be. I looked into it not long ago before I regained gainfull employment and I read that a boat will hire people without experience but you kind of need to be there when the need arises. I also read something that said that it was not a good idea to sign on with a boat that would take a newby as there was generally a good reason for them loosing their experienced crew and there was generally a good reason why experienced crew would not sign on. It generally was a clue that the captain was incompetent or took unnecessary risks. If I could do it all over again I would probably go in the Coast Guard and seek an Alaska duty station.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #3268
Back to Topics


Message #3274 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
BBlast
Re: The Next Big Thing
7/10/06, 6:14am
graphic
>>>It looks like I am going to be taking a trek to Kodiak
>>Island
>>>and Katmai National Park in Alaska during the summer of
>2007.
>>
>>>I am in the early planning stages for the trip. I would go
>>>this year but my leave balances are pretty much depleted.
>>By
>>>waiting I should hopefully have three weeks to spend in the
>>>area. I am excited about the prospect of exploring this
>>part
>>>of Alaska.
>>
>>Robert, you ever see that show, "Deadlist Catch"? About crab
>>fisherman in Alaska.
>>
>>No, I am not suggesting anything..it's just that the show,
>>shows these guys in some pretty awful weather trying to get
>>some seafood on the plate!
>>
>>
>
>Matt and I were saying the other night, now that we've watched
>that show, we can appreciate why Alaskan crab is so expensive.
>That is one job I would not like to have!

What's so odd about that show too is that they are talking to these guys who are working the deck and such...and you look behind them and you see that the ocean is going UP...and DOWN. It looks to the eye like you are talking to a guy on steady gound..but that is NOT the case. Odd.

--------------------------------------------------------
"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #3274
Back to Topics


Message #3277 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BBlast
Larry Levy  
Re: The Next Big Thing
7/10/06, 8:51am
graphic
>What's so odd about that show too is that they are talking to
>these guys who are working the deck and such...and you look
>behind them and you see that the ocean is going UP...and DOWN.
>It looks to the eye like you are talking to a guy on steady
>gound..but that is NOT the case. Odd.
>
>

Creative editing, I think

--------------------------------------------------------
" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #3277
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter