RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest15650 (18.204.227.250)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Travel, Hiking & Exploring : Reading "Joshua Tree Trip Report " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #735 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Carol  
Joshua Tree Trip Report
12/20/04, 3:28pm (Last Edited: 12/20/04, 3:40pm)
graphic

Last weekend I decided rather spontaneously to head to Joshua Tree National Park. I had never been to this particular park although I have been on all sides of it. I didn’t expect to like it nearly so much! I know the Mojave Desert well; I’ve driven through it countless times and have lived along its edges. I've hiked and camped in it and now and then find beauty therein but most of the time it’s just a place to pass through to get to somewhere else. But Joshua Tree combines truly fantastic rock formations with mountainous views and of course a huge variety of different plant and animal life. Of all the places I've seen in the Mojave I've loved it the most and I plan to return soon!

On Saturday morning I left my house around 8:00 am and headed out to Porterville. The fog was thick in the San Joaquin Valley and I was glad I would soon be leaving its cold and gloom behind. I drove south to Bakersfield and then east on Hwy 58. As I climbed over Tehachapi Summit, elevation about 4,000’, I left behind the relatively wet side of California and entered the dry desert eastern side.

I stopped for gas in Mojave, I haven’t seen gas for less than $2/gallon in a long time! I was thinking it was too bad most travelers on the highway don’t get to see this quaint town anymore as they built a bypass a year or two ago. Once in Barstow I headed north on I-15 for just a mile or two then took Hwy 247 south. I had never driven on this road and as I left Barstow I also left all the other cars behind. I didn't pass a single car until I got to Lucerne Valley!

I decided to go into the park via the west entrance at the town of Joshua Tree. I showed my National Park Pass to the lady at the entrance station then drove into the park. Wow, the Joshua Trees are so dense that this can be called a forest. And soon enough the famous boulder piles and rock formations came into sight on both sides of the winding park road. I pulled into Hidden Valley Campground but it was full so I went on to Ryan Campground, elevation 4,300', where I found a great camping spot in the rocks.

After setting up my tent, eating a sandwich, and shedding my fleece (it was about 70*), I hopped in my truck and drove east and then south. The site marked, “Cholla Garden” had caught my eye on the park map. Cholla are sometimes called teddy bear cactus and wow, I have never seen so many in one spot in my entire life! This garden is located right on the edge of the transition zone between the higher and cooler Mojave Desert and the lower Colorado or Sonoran Desert. I soon came to learn the differences between the two deserts.

After strolling through the cholla garden, carefully as to not inflict myself with spines, I drove north again and stopped at White Tank Campground. Here there is a short and very worthwhile trail to Arch Rock. This campground is nice but there are few Joshua Trees here.

I headed back towards my campsite as the sun fell lower in the sky. I stopped to walk around the Hall of Terrors and Hidden Valley. Then I drove back to my campsite, watched the sunset, then warmed up some chili for dinner.

The night was very quiet and the stars were wonderful. I had no trouble falling asleep and was awoken many times in the night to hear serenading coyotes. I think it got down to about 40-45*.

I woke up at sunrise and headed out to Keys View, elevation 5,185'. This is an amazing viewpoint if you can catch it on a clear day! About half the time smog from LA obscures the view but when it’s clear you can see all the way south across the Salton Sea into Mexico. You can also see two of the highest mountains in southern California, Mt. San Jacinto and Mt. San Gorgonio. Mt. San Jacinto, at 10,804’, has one of the highest reliefs of any mountain in the Lower 48. It rises sharply from the city of Palm Springs which lies at its feet.

Then I drove back towards camp, stopping to hike the Cap Rock Trail. I made breakfast, maple and brown sugar Malt-o-Meal and Earl Grey tea, stopped to sketch a Joshua Tree, then packed up camp. I drove to the Barker Dam trailhead and hiked this trail, another not-to-be-missed short trail. I saw lots of wildlife including a canyon wren and a cottontail rabbit. Also along this trail are pictographs.

I drove on the Queen Valley Road, one of the many dirt roads in the park, back to the paved park road and stopped at Jumbo Rocks to hike the Skull Rock Trail. I couldn’t quite see the “skull” until a nice gentleman pointed it out to me, lol

Then I drove out the main entrance at Twentynine Palms and stopped at the Visitor Center. It is located at an authentic palm oasis, the Oasis of Mara. There is a nice nature trail there that is worth strolling on as I saw at least 8 different species of birds!

Then it was time to stop for a bite to eat and then I headed home.

Oh, yeah, Joshua Trees aren't trees, they’re monocots, they don't have wood or growth rings, and they're in the lily family. Palm Trees aren't trees, either

I posted a lot more pictures on my website http://www.tarol.com/joshuatree.html

--------------------------------------------------------
The mountains are calling and I must go. ~ John Muir ~ www.tarol.com

Reply to Msg #735
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Carol 's Blog

Message #736 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Carol
Thomas Canty
Re: Joshua Tree Trip Report
12/20/04, 4:10pm
Sounds like it was a great trip! I haven't been to Joshua Tree yet, myself, but I'm sure I'll be making it out that way soon. I've always been a mountain person, but lately I've been spending most of my time in the desert. I think the desert is an acquired taste, and I've really been learning to love it recently.

http://www.ldphotography.net/

Reply to Msg #736
Back to Topics

Message #737 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Robert Jones  
12/20/04, 8:16pm
Dessert is my favorite meal.

Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #737
Back to Topics

Message #738 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Carol
Robert Jones  
12/20/04, 8:24pm
I loved the TR. Like T.C. mentioned the desert is an acquired taste. I need to plan a trip to spend time in a dessert( can't help the play on words). I think I would really get to like it. I am used to more forest and mountianous terrain but I am always open to new experiences.

Reply to Msg #738
Back to Topics

Message #739 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Carol  
12/21/04, 8:21am
graphic
>Dessert is my favorite meal.

:p

The mountains are calling and I must go. ~ John Muir ~ www.tarol.com

Reply to Msg #739
Back to Topics

Message #740 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Thomas Canty
12/21/04, 4:51pm (Last Edited: 12/21/04, 4:52pm)
>I loved the TR. Like T.C. mentioned the desert is an acquired
>taste. I need to plan a trip to spend time in a dessert(
>can't help the play on words). I think I would really get to
>like it. I am used to more forest and mountianous terrain but
>I am always open to new experiences.

If you don't mind a little advice, I'd suggest you postpone some of your plans for your trip this coming spring and go to the desert instead. Like we've mentioned, most areas of Yosemite and Sequoia will still be closed for the winter, and if we get a decent amount of snow this winter even the open areas may be hard to get to. That's the perfect time to head to the desert, though. The temperatures will still be reasonable, and the desert gets carpeted with wildflowers every spring.

Then, you can schedule another trip a little later on in the year when it's better to visit Yosemite and Sequoia.

http://www.ldphotography.net/

Reply to Msg #740
Back to Topics

Message #741 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Robert Jones  
12/21/04, 10:25pm

>
>If you don't mind a little advice, I'd suggest you postpone
>some of your plans for your trip this coming spring and go to
>the desert instead. Like we've mentioned, most areas of
>Yosemite and Sequoia will still be closed for the winter, and
>if we get a decent amount of snow this winter even the open
>areas may be hard to get to. That's the perfect time to head
>to the desert, though. The temperatures will still be
>reasonable, and the desert gets carpeted with wildflowers
>every spring.
>
>Then, you can schedule another trip a little later on in the
>year when it's better to visit Yosemite and Sequoia.
>

Thanks T.C., I'll take that into consideration. Some of the main reasons I am choosing California is to take the opportunity to meet you all, to see Sequoia trees, and to take the opportunity to see Yosemite. Those are items that are high on my agenda and list of priorities.

The timing coincides with my end of fiscal year stats so I don't have to take the full brunt of three weeks leave in this year or next. I might consider postponing to more suitable time of year but the above listed items are must do.

Reply to Msg #741
Back to Topics

Message #742 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
BBlast
12/22/04, 5:45am
graphic
>>I loved the TR. Like T.C. mentioned the desert is an
>acquired
>>taste. I need to plan a trip to spend time in a dessert(
>>can't help the play on words). I think I would really get
>to
>>like it. I am used to more forest and mountianous terrain
>but
>>I am always open to new experiences.
>
>If you don't mind a little advice, I'd suggest you postpone
>some of your plans for your trip this coming spring and go to
>the desert instead. Like we've mentioned, most areas of
>Yosemite and Sequoia will still be closed for the winter, and
>if we get a decent amount of snow this winter even the open
>areas may be hard to get to. That's the perfect time to head
>to the desert, though. The temperatures will still be
>reasonable, and the desert gets carpeted with wildflowers
>every spring.
>
>Then, you can schedule another trip a little later on in the
>year when it's better to visit Yosemite and Sequoia.
>

That's a great suggestion! Our deserts here in the spring are known for their wildflowers and people come from all over to visit and take pics of them!

And, from El Lay, it is a day trip as well. (Unless you plan on joining Lon and Murph and everybody else in this state in Death Valley.)

"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

Reply to Msg #742
Back to Topics

Message #743 of 4034  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
BBlast
12/22/04, 5:47am
graphic
>
>>
>>If you don't mind a little advice, I'd suggest you postpone
>>some of your plans for your trip this coming spring and go
>to
>>the desert instead. Like we've mentioned, most areas of
>>Yosemite and Sequoia will still be closed for the winter,
>and
>>if we get a decent amount of snow this winter even the open
>>areas may be hard to get to. That's the perfect time to head
>>to the desert, though. The temperatures will still be
>>reasonable, and the desert gets carpeted with wildflowers
>>every spring.
>>
>>Then, you can schedule another trip a little later on in the
>>year when it's better to visit Yosemite and Sequoia.
>>
>
>
>Thanks T.C., I'll take that into consideration. Some of the
>main reasons I am choosing California is to take the
>opportunity to meet you all, to see Sequoia trees, and to take
>the opportunity to see Yosemite. Those are items that are
>high on my agenda and list of priorities.
>
>The timing coincides with my end of fiscal year stats so I
>don't have to take the full brunt of three weeks leave in this
>year or next. I might consider postponing to more suitable
>time of year but the above listed items are must do.

You would have to ask Carol about Sequoia park, but I know that Yosemite, you will NEED reservations.

"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

Reply to Msg #743
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter