To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
Super Collider
7/2/08, 12:40am
I don't know if any of you have followed this story....I became aware of it several years ago when it was being discussed to perhaps build it near here. It was eventually built near Geneva. This machine is set to be tested beginning in August and it is going to be exciting to to see what discoveries that will be realized from this device....alledgedly the most complicated/advanced machine ever produced.

The science involved leads to some interesting questions. Apparently the machine is theoretically capable of producing dark matter and scientists are not exactly sure what will happen...it is cutting edge stuff. We all aware of what devastation that can be produced from the splitting of an atom and this device is designed to study such phenomena.

There are those that speculate that the power this machine could unleash might be capable of ending all life on earth. There are those that say that the forces unleashed might create a black hole that will destroy everthing within the solar system.

I do not claim to have any real scienitific savvy as to what might happen with this device. I am somewhat torn in that I am excited to find out what we are about to learn and to witness what advances in technology that results....but a part of me also leans into the why bother crowd...that I am very happy and content with my quality of life and I am somewhat wondering ethically who should be granted the go ahead to conduct an experiment of this potential magnitude.

I think about the rumors and horror stories that emerged from the "Philadephia Experiment"....and I seem to recall that some said that we were experimented with forces beyond our ability to safely control. Apparently this device is a product of the international community which is a little scary within itself as it begs the question over who controls and regulates such a device and who determines what risks are acceptable.

It all has my attention and I am interested to see what we discover over the coming months

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/30/doomsdaycollider
.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

http://techfreep.com/worlds-largest-supercollider-c
ould-destroy-the-universe.htm

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #2103
Back to Topics

Message #2104 of 2108  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Rob Reed  
Re: Super Collider
7/5/08, 12:01pm
graphic
I'd like to hope that there have been small scale experiments leading up to this big one (perhaps the atom bombs were one) such that the scientists are all but certain that the end of the world is not a comin' because of a scientific mistake.

Then again, I wonder if all of the black holes currently in existence are simply the remnants of other intelligent worlds that similarly got too big for their britches?

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #2104
Back to Topics

Message #2105 of 2108  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Robert Jones  
7/5/08, 10:39pm
I don't know...I am curious to learn what we can from this stuff but nothing like this has been done before. It might be like what happened when they opened the lost ark in the Indy movie or maybe like what happened when they unplugged the machine in Ghostbusters. Cats and Dogs sleeping together and stuff like that...or it would be kind of interesting if they turned the machine on and nothing happened

Reply to Msg #2105
Back to Topics

Message #2106 of 2108  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Thomas Canty
7/6/08, 8:22am
>Cats and Dogs sleeping together and stuff like that...

Nah. That'll never happen...

http://www.ldphotography.net/

Reply to Msg #2106
Back to Topics

Message #2107 of 2108  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Robert Jones  
7/8/08, 4:04pm
OMG!!! It has already started!

Reply to Msg #2107
Back to Topics

Message #2108 of 2108  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Larry Levy  
7/9/08, 8:06am
graphic
LOL!!! It's later than you think!

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #2108
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter