RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest7725 (18.232.99.123)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Blogger's Corner : Reading "Birthmother kidnaps her twins" Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #1131 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Rob Reed  
Birthmother kidnaps her twins
12/28/06, 4:25pm
graphic
Woman kidnaps twins that she relinquished to adoption during a monthly visitation

This will be interesting to watch the conservative adoption blogosphere's take on this issue. As a betting man, I am assuming these two reactions: (1) this woman is a hero from the natural mother group; (2) "I can understand why she would do this" from the adoptive mother group.

I am not that clear on the facts in this case. It *LOOKS* like there may have been a custody battle in the works. Perhaps this was not an open adoption scenario, but a visitation as a result of litigation filed by the birthmother (according to the birthmother's sister, this was a forced adoption).

The sister's take is: "God forbid that a loving mother should face criminal charges for wanting to be with her children."

I suspect this will be the attitude of the conservative adoption blogosphere, so I'll just get this out: my opinion is that this is horribly wrong. The woman deserves prison time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #1131
Back to Topics

Message #1132 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
BestLight
Re: Birthmother kidnaps her twins
12/29/06, 7:35am
This will be interesting to watch the conservative adoption
blogosphere's take on this issue. As a betting man, I am
assuming these two reactions: (1) this woman is a hero from
the natural mother group; (2) "I can understand why she would
do this" from the adoptive mother group.

I am not that clear on the facts in this case. It *LOOKS*
like there may have been a custody battle in the works.
Perhaps this was not an open adoption scenario, but a
visitation as a result of litigation filed by the birthmother
(according to the birthmother's sister, this was a forced
adoption).

The sister's take is: "God forbid that a loving mother should
face criminal charges for wanting to be with her children."

I suspect this will be the attitude of the conservative
adoption blogosphere, so I'll just get this out: my opinion is
that this is horribly wrong. The woman deserves prison time.

This is a strange case, indeed. The bio mom is 49 and this was NOT an unexpected pregnancy -- in fact the twins were conceived via in vitro.

Anyway, you're right, Rob. Some birthmoms are sympathetic with the birthmother, as are some adoptive moms. Many from both sides feel for the adoptive parents, too. And most express concern for the children.

One interesting thing is that people from all sides are concerned with what this case does to the reputation of open adoption.

Check out the responses at http://soulofadoption.com/forum/index.php?topic=170
if you want to see more.

Reply to Msg #1132
Back to Topics

Message #1134 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BestLight
Rob Reed  
1/4/07, 5:13pm
graphic
For those interested, here is the single discussion that I found in the conservative, adoption blogosphere:

http://musingsofthelame.blogspot.com/2006/12/alliso
n-quets.html

This site is of the most vehement anti-adoptionist that I have found on the net, so tread with this in mind.

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #1134
Back to Topics

Message #1135 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
BestLight
1/4/07, 8:00pm (Last Edited: 1/4/07, 8:01pm)
I believe the blog author (Faux Claud) is on the board of directors of OriginsUSA.

Two days ago, another blogger and activist posted on her blog (http://motherhooddeleted.blogspot.com/) that it had recently been revealed that Quets' children had resulted from embryo or egg donation, and that OriginsUSA no longer supported Quets. Egg adoption is no different than infant adoption, she asserted. She had some fairly nasty names for adoptive parents.

But that post was removed shortly after I saw it.

Faux Claud posted this statement from OriginsUSA today:

OUSA Statement on the Allison Quets Case

OriginsUSA does not hold an official position on the flight to Canada of Allison Quets with her twins. Individual members of OUSA may or may not support Ms. Quets as is their right as individuals. Implications of this case, however, are beyond the mission statement of OUSA.

OUSA does believe that the entire situation could have been avoided if there were adequate legal protections from predatory adoption practices in place for pregnant American women.

The OriginsUSA Board of Directors
January 1, 2007.

I should also mention that on forums (fora?) I have always seen Faux Claud treat adoptive parents respectfully.

Reply to Msg #1135
Back to Topics

Message #1139 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BestLight
Rob Reed  
1/16/07, 2:45pm
graphic
Here's a quote I read today (obviously not following my New Year's resolution) on the Quets case:

hello, this case caught my attention from the first day. I was shocked that Ms. Quets has been going through such an ordeal. She is being treated like a criminal for acting out of desperation to be united with her beautiful babies. i found your site as i did a search looking for support for Ms. Quets. She could of moved in next door to me and I would of never said anything.
KS
(canada)

She is being treated like a criminal? Might be because what she did is a crime.

Reply to Msg #1139
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter