RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest70076 (54.198.106.21)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Blogger's Corner : Reading "Mother who gave birth after one-night stand wins right to keep baby secret from father " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #1276 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Rob Reed  
Mother who gave birth after one-night stand wins right to keep baby secret from father
11/24/07, 10:35am (Last Edited: 11/24/07, 10:42am)
graphic
This case involves a 20-year old woman who, on the rebound after a long relationship, joined a fellow in similar circumstances.... did the nasty with him... and then got pregnant. And, then didn't tell anybody about it... including the one night stand.

Lord Justice Thorpe, deciding the case, determined that there was no justification for "breaking open the mother's secret."

And, now, the mother is giving the child up for adoption, with no legal requirement to tell the father solely on the basis that it was a one-night stand. The case began when a county court (this is a British case) decided that the father should be told and should give permission first. The woman appealed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news
/news.html?in_article_id=496029&in_page_id=1770

Here are some noteworthy tidbits from the article:

"And Lady Justice Arden said this was not a violation of the father's rights to family life under the Human Rights Act because he had no rights to be violated."
Lady Justice Arden said: "He was only a one-night stand and he has no family life with E or the mother, entitling him to the guarantee of respect for that family life under Article 8 [of the Human Rights Convention]. "There is no basis for supposing that he could provide a home for E. . . The prospects of him being a long-term carer are too intangible to justify a delay in making a placement for E."
And my favorite...

The judges said the 2002 Adoption and Children Act - which imposes a duty to serve the best interests of the child - did not lead to a requirement to tell the father.

This is a terrible decision. The best interests of the child should always start with the biological parents. If the father would be interested in raising his child, he should have any opportunity. Anybody disagree? I am interested in hearing other points.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #1276
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Rob Reed's Blog

Message #1278 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Larry Levy  
Re: Mother who gave birth after one-night stand wins right to keep baby secret from father
11/24/07, 2:09pm
graphic
I hadn't heard about that before. I guess the court found the father had no parental rights. That just seems wrong.

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #1278
Back to Topics

Message #1279 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Robert Jones  
Re: Mother who gave birth after one-night stand wins right to keep baby secret from father
11/24/07, 11:31pm
Sounds like justice gone way awry to me.

Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #1279
Back to Topics

Message #1281 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Randy Edwards  
11/25/07, 8:13am
graphic
As most here know I am in a terrible divorce. I am not Jake's biological father, however I love him very much and I'm fighting for my custody rights tooth and nail. I was there when Jake was born and for the following 2.5 years. The bio dad was no where to be found.......or so I thought. I have not seen Jake in 5 months.

About a month ago, Jake's bio dad contacted Kelly and has joined forces with her to take Jake away from me permenately forever. I think if the bio dad has been notified and steps out of the picture, then he's gone for good, especially if someone's going to take his place knowing the child is not their's. That's a heck of a committment that some men won't do.

If the judge rules against me, I will never be put in this situation again, it hurts too much.

Life is great..........Randy

Reply to Msg #1281
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Randy Edwards 's Blog

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter