RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest5739 (35.175.174.157)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Blogger's Corner : Reading "The one with the incredible screw-up and where I find 'we' " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #997 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Rob Reed  
The one with the incredible screw-up and where I find 'we'
10/23/06, 3:35pm (Last Edited: 10/23/06, 4:06pm)
graphic
I spent some time today trying to further promote the video. After a few emails to some major newspapers, I had the (not so) "bright" idea to send an email to bloggers (even ones who I knew were not very partial to the concept of adoption).

This was a HUGE mistake. Dawn from thiswomanswork.com (who has in the past given us tremendous and appreciated support and who, arguably, was the most influential person in our decision to open up in an adoption at all) pointed out my huge mistake.

I did not intend to hurt anybody. I did selfishly intend to get these people to write (even negatively) about the video in hopes that this would be seen as a hot button issue (and therefore newsworthy), thereby furthering the video's exposure.

I sincerely apologize to all who were hurt by this. If I could take it back, I would.

On to a lesser important but related issue... as a result of this emailing, I also discovered the group of people referred to as "we" in the negative comment that we received on the video (that is quoted in my first video blog).

There is a blog thread by magicpointeshoe (who I respect very much, notwithstanding her negative opinion) that addresses the video. There is such nasty stuff in this thread that I even hesitate to write about it, talk about it, or even let Marie know.

But Marie has to know. I think that prospective adoptive parents who read this blog have to know.

THIS is how some people think, and we need to be aware of it.

http://magicpointeshoe.livejournal.com/255710.html

I can take the personal attacks because I understand the spirit of them. I imagine the writers did not expect I would read them. The saddest part of this thread though, for me, was reading from Dawn (mentioned above): "I'm so done with them. I really hoped they'd come around and if anything they've gotten worse."

This, before I even sent today's email (which resulted in a deserved, scathing response from Dawn).

I will be videoblogging on the magicpointeshoe thread shortly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #997
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

AdoptBlog.com 's Blog

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #998 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob & Marie Reed
BestLight
Re: The one with the incredible screw-up and where I find 'we'
10/23/06, 6:26pm (Last Edited: 10/23/06, 6:26pm)
I don't quite "get" your sin from your entry, but it sounds like you've taken a lot of heat about telling other bloggers about the YouTube clip.

Wow. People can be brutal in the impersonal world of blogging.

I've spent a lot of time on adoption boards since I began journaling here. And my world has grown a lot. I've learned so much about birthparents, adoptees, and even other adoptive parents with different situations than I've experienced. And still, my naivete is boundless.

One thing I can advise about is terminology: "Birthmother" is considered offensive to many who are active on the boards/blogs. While pregnant, she is an expectant mother (so even the "Dear Birthmother Letter" is a hot button). And until she has terminated her parental rights, she is just a mother -- no "birth" prefix.

Many very eloquent birthmothers (who sometimes prefer to be called firstmothers) tell me that the woman in an unintended pregnancy must decide all over again about adoption once the baby is born. It is only after this post-birth decision that she becomes a birth/firstmother.

"Keep the baby" is also a birthmother trigger. "Decided to parent" is more descriptive, since she is NOT a birthmother until signing the TPR.

For the adoptee: many avoid the phrase "giving up the baby for adoption" since it reeks of rejection. I've heard "making an adoption plan" used instead. Adoptees tend to like it but some birthmothers see it as part of the coercive language of the adoption "industry."

And just remember that this advice is worth what you pay for it!

If I think of more, I'll post again.

Also, please provide links to any video comments you get on YouTube.

I think you two are wonderful people. Don't let the critics get you down.

Reply to Msg #998
Back to Topics

Message #999 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
AdoptBlog.com Thread
magicpointeshoe
10/23/06, 6:29pm
=oP I totally suck and owe you an apology too. Let's see if this is my login...

Reply to Msg #999
Back to Topics

Message #1000 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
AdoptBlog.com Thread
10/23/06, 6:36pm
HA! I can remember my login!!!

Anyway...

I am so sorry I didn't just email you my thoughts originally. There was no way I could comment on your front porch leaving a bag of flaming dog poo, so instead I took my muttering back to my blog. Part of me knew you wouldn't mind because then at least your story was getting out there. Bad press > no press.

Reply to Msg #1000
Back to Topics

Message #1002 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BestLight
Marie Reed  
10/23/06, 10:04pm
graphic
Yes, people can be brutal. But since we've made ourselves more public, we knew that we'd get negative feedback. Although, I didn't expect us to be judged in such a harsh way when those people judging don't even know who we are.

I told Rob, we know who we are and what we're capable of. We're good people who have a lot to offer our future child. Mind you, we're not perfect, but we sure do know that we're longing for a child to love.

Those people who have judged us in a negative way may have their own personal issues. Who knows? But I know who we are... just real people.

Reply to Msg #1002
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1006 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
AdoptBlog.com Thread
AGWBT
10/24/06, 9:44am
I read all the threads, the ones tied in a knot, the ones tied in a bow and the ones with the all frayed edges.

I think that there is a main disconnect here between the 2 camps concerning "baby-stealing" and "baby-dumping". We, as adoptive parents do not want to steal someone's baby, especially a baby who is wanted and loved. And, like I mentioned before, women who say we are trying to "steal their babies" can't fathom that someone would "place a child in the arms of another to be parented" (was that PC enough for everyone?)

I think it remarkably strange that in all these months, and maybe I have missed it, but if memory serves me, nobody has written about the all-to-common news stories about babies being found in dumpsters. Just this weekend, a friend came up to me and said, "did you hear about the lady in Virginia who was pregnant and shot her unborn child because she didn't want to give birth?"

Now, I have read comments going from one extreme to the other calling birthmothers "angels" or adoptive parents "thieves" but the bottom line is that regardless of circumstance, we are all just people. Fallible, hopeful, concerned people. In an ideal world, everyone would want what is best for the baby. In an *ideal* world, people who desperately wanted to have children would be able to, and others wouldn't accuse them of leaving an STD untreated. In an ideal world, people who are unable or unwilling to parent a child would not ever find themselves in a position to create one.

As we are all painfully aware, this is not an ideal world. Unfortunately, there is a NEED for adoption. I don't think when God made the prototypes for humans (that I choose to call Adam and Eve) that in His infinite wisdom, He hardwired them to abandon them at birth and leave them in a dumpster, or murder them. I don't think in that prototype there was all this room for error and I think all Eve's reproductive parts were in working order, and all Adam's parts were functioning fine. They had their kids and raised them together. It was never God's *perfect plan* that children would be separated from their natural parents and raised by others. But thank God for those willing to stand in the gap and provide that safe home.

I am so thankful that my birthmother (firstmother, angel or whatever you all wish to call her) decided to give me a chance at life in this ideal world instead of aborting me. I am so thankful that my parents had the desire to open their hearts and home and do for me what she felt she was unable to do. I don't just sit around and love the fact that I am adopted, but it sure beats the alternative.

On a personal note, Rob, I would encourage you to take a step back and remind yourself that it isn't a profile book, or a YouTube ad or any other tangible means of solicitation that will hurry the process along and bring you the right baby. Yes, these venues can definitely be a tool God uses, but ultimately, keep focused on recognizing His will for your life and pray for guidance and wisdom before you make your moves. In my opinion, the best thing in the world isn't that we all get our babies, the best thing in the world is that He gets the glory if/when we finally do.

Reply to Msg #1006
Back to Topics

Message #1008 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
AGWBT
Marie Reed  
10/24/06, 5:56pm
graphic
>On a personal note, Rob, I would encourage you to take a step
>back and remind yourself that it isn't a profile book, or a
>YouTube ad or any other tangible means of solicitation that
>will hurry the process along and bring you the right baby.
>Yes, these venues can definitely be a tool God uses, but
>ultimately, keep focused on recognizing His will for your life
>and pray for guidance and wisdom before you make your moves.
>In my opinion, the best thing in the world isn't that we all
>get our babies, the best thing in the world is that He gets
>the glory if/when we finally do.

I very much agree. Thank you.

Reply to Msg #1008
Back to Topics

Message #1010 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
magicpointeshoe
saundrabeach  
10/24/06, 6:26pm
graphic
>=oP I totally suck and owe you an apology too. Let's see if
>this is my login...

You know I wrote my following post before reading this particular one. Even though there is not much to it, it shows a personality that doesn't seem as harsh as I read in your posts at times. Hummmm, well I hope I am correct but I post anyway how I felt in reading your post elsewhere.
Saundra

I wrote:

I am Rob's mom and read how You feel I am creepy. Well different strokes and all that and I will live without your understanding of my position. I am not sure if you have children, but my four are healthy grown adults. Yes I AM PROUD deservedly so. Protective Mama Lion, perhaps you can relate...

I do not understand your negative feelings, but certainly know your God given right to have them.

Maybe your lack of understanding is because these quickly written posts are just that, and there really is no dialog for depth.

Instead of being so negative and critical, why not try to enhance all the readers with some good advice and/or support. That would make more sense to meas well as others looking for guidance and support.

Perhaps you do not understand genuine openness and feelings not to mention honesty.

Rob and Marie desire to be parents in whatever method they can be. What in the world is wrong with that?

Perhaps you misinterpret "humor" along with nervousness as deliberate slur... That is the problem with not being able to read body language and truly look in the speakers eyes.

Perhaps you will view me as prejudice, but...My oldest son Rob does not have ONE mean spirited bone in his body. Not now, and not in his entire life. He truly treats others like he wants to be treated and is God fearing and loving.

As his mother, I resent your hit and run interpretation of his sincere loving desires to parent.

Don't you realize how hurtful you have been? (I speak to other hurtful non-constructive posts as well by this statement)

Life goes on, but I couldn't ignore this any more.

Saundra Reed

(Forgive me Rob and Marie)

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #1010
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1011 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BestLight
saundrabeach  
10/24/06, 6:34pm
graphic
Lori: I always enjoy and appreciate reading all of your posts and find them newsy and informative to say the least.

My ultimate feeling from reading this one is "a rose is still a rose by any other name. Why need we be so picqueune over such unimportant matters. Goodness, All they want is to parent!

Wish more was said about those that throw their babies into dumpsters without a care or so it seems.

Maybe when I posted my thoughts about "open" adoption, which has impressed me in reading your stories, by the way is not so far fetched in my way of thinking...If it is so "PC" before adopting, what in the world must it be like in an open adoption. Does one have to walk on egg shells all the time? Titles, Names proper expressions...sheese

This process should be so loving and caring, that all the negative has broken my heart, and left me cold.

Well of all reading this, I know you will understand my frustration and sincerity. So thank you, Saundra

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #1011
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1012 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Marie Reed
saundrabeach  
10/24/06, 6:37pm
graphic
>Yes, people can be brutal. But since we've made ourselves
>more public, we knew that we'd get negative feedback.
>Although, I didn't expect us to be judged in such a harsh way
>when those people judging don't even know who we are.
>
>I told Rob, we know who we are and what we're capable of.
>We're good people who have a lot to offer our future child.
>Mind you, we're not perfect, but we sure do know that we're
>longing for a child to love.
>
>Those people who have judged us in a negative way may have
>their own personal issues. Who knows? But I know who we
>are... just real people.

And I KNOW WHO YOU BOTH ARE!!!! Well said darling Merr. Made me proud. Mom-O-Mom

Reply to Msg #1012
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1013 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
AGWBT
saundrabeach  
10/24/06, 6:39pm
graphic
Well said and understood by me.

Thank you for your inciteful comments.

Reply to Msg #1013
Back to Topics

Message #1015 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach
BestLight
10/24/06, 8:46pm (Last Edited: 10/24/06, 8:49pm)
Lori: My ultimate feeling from reading this one is "a rose is still a rose by any other name. Why need we be so picqueune over such unimportant matters. Goodness, All they want is to parent!

Precisely. So understanding what an expectant mother who is considering adoption is thinking and what she wishes to call herself IS important. I have seen many posts on adoption boards by hopeful adoptive parents asking what to put in the "Dear Birthmother Letter." Many have replied (to the effect), "DON'T CALL ME A BIRTHMOTHER YET -- it sounds like you consider me a breeder." If Marie and Rob are looking for ways to attract an expectant mother considering adoption, using a respectful salutation is one.

Wish more was said about those that throw their babies into dumpsters without a care or so it seems.

Fortunately, these are relatively rare (although it may not seem so with the media treatment they garner). And when they do happen, social services takes over. In many states, couples waiting with agencies don't have a much of a chance at these situations, since they are considered "foster/adopt."

What in the world must it be like in an open adoption. Does one have to walk on egg shells all the time?

Our children's birthmothers aren't picky or sensitive in the least. So it just depends on the person.

Titles, Names proper expressions...sheese

We each have some area in our lives where we are sensitive about how others view us and refer to us. I know I wouldn't want, for example, to be called an Adopter. Even though it's technically true, it sounds hostile. Is there anything someone might call you that would get a rise out of you? Words do matter.

This process should be so loving and caring, that all the negative has broken my heart, and left me cold. Well of all reading this, I know you will understand my frustration and sincerity. So thank you, Saundra

In a perfect world, it WOULD be loving and caring. But it's not a perfect world, as evidenced by (1) unintended pregnancies and (2) unwelcomed infertility. The best we can hope for is that people in the first situation find people in the second, and that they form a respectful relationship. The first couple gives a child life, and the second give the child A life.

I do understand your frustration, and I sense your sincerity. We are in agreement that Rob and Marie will be wonderful parents. Hopefully soon.

Reply to Msg #1015
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1016 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
AdoptBlog.com Thread
Guest116786
10/24/06, 9:03pm
Of course they want to parent. But raising an adopted child is not the same as raising a biological child. Adoption brings with it many issues. It's not an issue of being PC. It is an issue of showing respect for the mother of your child. Yes, Marie will be the mother. But there will also be another mother. It is just the way it goes. My daughter's mother had her rights taken away from the state. But still, she is her mother and her role in my daughter's life will always be respected.

It's not an issue of being PC. It's an issue of understanding what it is like to be an adoptive parent, an adoptive grandparent, etc. Because the more you understand, the more likely you will be able to raise your child in a way where they feel comfortable about their adoption and that their first family also feels comfortable.Is it painful to hear about people who are anti-adoption? Of course. But if you listen to them, you will learn that in most cases they were disrespected.

Reply to Msg #1016
Back to Topics

Message #1017 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
AdoptBlog.com Thread
Guest116801
10/24/06, 7:13pm
This is gemmaj, one of those who commented on magicpointeshoe's blog. I never meant for you to read those comments, and if they hurt you or Marie, I am sincerely sorry.

Reply to Msg #1017
Back to Topics

Message #1018 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Guest116801
Marie Reed  
10/24/06, 10:58pm
graphic
>This is gemmaj, one of those who commented on
>magicpointeshoe's blog. I never meant for you to read those
>comments, and if they hurt you or Marie, I am sincerely
>sorry.

Luke 17: 3-4

3Take heed to yourselves: if thy brother sin, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. 4And if he sin against thee seven times in the day, and seven times turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.

Thank you for being brave and sincere. We accept your apology.

Reply to Msg #1018
Back to Topics

Message #1019 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
AdoptBlog.com Thread
magicpointeshoe
10/25/06, 8:56am
"You know I wrote my following post before reading this particular one. Even though there is not much to it, it shows a personality that doesn't seem as harsh as I read in your posts at times. Hummmm, well I hope I am correct but I post anyway how I felt in reading your post elsewhere."

=o/ I appreciate that sentiment. Let me clarify my words you read... I find your thought on adoption and more importantly birthmothers or potential birthmothers creepy. You as a person, most likely aren't creepy. (I am open to an email conversation if you want to try and understand)

That probably didn't make it better though.

I do want to bring forward a story for you though. My great-grandma was the apple of my eye. She was the one who showed me the most unconditional love and I thrived because of that gift. Once in a while she would say very much jokingly and no less loving that I was born laughing with a pill in my hand. I would become quiet because I didn't understand. A few years later she after I learned what she meant, I was so embarrassed. Embarrassed for me because I was unplanned and embarrassed for my parents that such a story was repeated.

Your future grandchild will come already with the story attached about being unplanned. A silly snarky comment about his birthmother being stupid for getting pregnant (with your grandchild no less) in this day and age is going embarrass your grandchild too.

I know trying to convince you of being kind to the birthmother isn't very likely at all, but maybe you can see the benefit for your grandchild.

Reply to Msg #1019
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1020 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
magicpointeshoe
Rob Reed  
10/25/06, 9:56am (Last Edited: 10/25/06, 9:58am)
graphic
Magic: I am so tempted not to respond here.

I will be accused of kissing your ass.

My feelings are sincere. I don't care that, by that select few, it won't be seen that way.

Your emails to me and this message are proof positive that I have been blessed to find you on the internet. You have a maturity that so far surpasses those who I have read in the past few days in the blogosphere that it is (uncomfortably) laughable.

Thanks for your comments. I hope you don't mind if we bend your ear... fingers... in the future a few times.

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #1020
Back to Topics

Message #1021 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
AdoptBlog.com Thread
magicpointeshoe
10/25/06, 10:27am
Even if writing that email was a doofy mistake, I'm glad that if nothing else it got me to quit holding my voice back from the discussion. I *really* appreciate your kind words.

Reply to Msg #1021
Back to Topics

Message #1022 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Guest116786
saundrabeach  
10/25/06, 7:54pm
graphic
>Of course they want to parent. But raising an adopted child is
>not the same as raising a biological child.

I am shocked at this statement...Not the same as a biological child??? Confusing...Isn't that the goal of an adoptive parent (hope this is a correct phrase) Making the child yours period...Your real child...This is where "open" adoption tears away the old school genuine adoption. Where the children were reared to feel whole and secure and belonging to the parents that had rescued this special child.

Adoption brings
>with it many issues. It's not an issue of being PC. It is an
>issue of showing respect for the mother of your child.

Isn't the child the one that we need to worry about. Without open adoption, one doesn't have to be concerned with anyone other than the child.

Yes,
>Marie will be the mother. But there will also be another
>mother. It is just the way it goes.

That is what concerns me. It is hard enough to bond and feel real without having another mother involved... What does "mother" mean anyway Giving birth or "Mothering and nurturing on a daily basis...

My daughter's mother had
>her rights taken away from the state.

Were her rights "taken" away or did she "give them away?

I certainly have great respect for people until they prove that I needn't.

I respect people that adopt children to give them a real home and security and family. I feel they have the right to be RESPECTED and to feel like they ARE the parents and the ONLY parents until such time that they feel like disclosing the "truth" For whatever reason the BIRTH MOTHER gives up their child, that is what they are doing and that should be the end in my opinion. If they want to pay child support to the adoptive parents and dental bills and college etc., well then more might be considered.

Reply to Msg #1022
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1023 of 1287  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
magicpointeshoe
saundrabeach  
10/25/06, 8:25pm
graphic
I know trying to convince you of being kind to the birthmother isn't very likely at all, but maybe you can see the benefit for your grandchild.

I don't know how I ever have come across as NOT being kind to the "birthmother". Because I do not approve or feel comfortable for my family in an "open adoption" does not mean that I wouldn't be the best supportive parent and grandmother ever, as I am to My Dylan and Daniel from my second son, Chris and his wife,Felisa, who risked her life amazingly to go through pregnancies at all.

Now being honest I can only hope that I will be the exact same for adopted children. I do not think I would be different as I have always loved children period. Actually if I was younger I would consider adopting a little girl as I haven't had that experience.

P>S> I am not "creepy" but then you do not know me lol....I am opinionated, but guess you know that, and VERY protective of my family.

[

Reply to Msg #1023
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter