RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest2891 (54.224.121.67)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Politics, Government & Law : Reading "Racism alive and well in America" Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #1400 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
all
Mike Reed  
Racism alive and well in America
9/4/05, 5:10pm
graphic

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,151
8,372715,00.html

I was doing my usual news surfing on the net and came across this article talking about issues most of us thought were over. Civil rights, and racism. Racism is over right, I mean there are no more lynches, no more sittings on the back of the bus for people of color, no more separate but equal laws, and no more segregation. Well we as Americans like to think that we are not racist and somehow better than our ancestors. Well in some ways definitely. But in the ways we choose to ignore, we are almost the same. NMBY is becoming a famous term these days. Not in my backyard. As long as its not happening here it doesn't effect me so therefore I don;t have to deal with it attitude. But thats where we are wrong. Everything our neighbors, cousins, friends, and fellow citizens do reflects on our own ethnicities as well as creates a chain reaction of events that will eventually stare us straight in the face.

This great land of opportunity was created on the basis of slavery. The laws that stemmed from that society were built upon
segregation, unequal rights, and the rich vs the poor. "All men are created equal." Its very beautiful, and it means so much today. Lincoln was a visionary. He saw beyond what was put in front of him, that the future would be one of equality. However he was driven can be questioned. Maybe it was political, maybe it was altruistic, maybe it was just because the south was trying to secede from the union which is against the constitution, then using the slaves against the plantation owners in the South . In any case he helped create the chain reaction that led to the civil rights movement.

It took a while and believe me the whites (not all of them obviously) in this country tried everything they could to slow the process. Separate but equal laws, tried to pass an amendment (1948) that gave US citizens the right to segregate themselves from others ect. My constitutional law class asks a great question when looking at old text. Yes think of what the interpretation means now, but also analyze what the interpretation meant then. This is what our supreme court does. I won't touch Lincoln, but think of before him and what "all men" meant. did that include women? nope they didn't start to become equal
until the 20th century. Was it Latinos, or maybe our next door neighbors the Mexicans? Nope, they were apart of the segregated, and were used as scape goats for the reason
people were smoking marijuana in the early 20th century. OK maybe African Americans were apart of "all men?" Nope, remember 3/5ths of a man. Its right there in our
constitution. Yes it was amended, but you are forgetting that the system is based upon what we are trying to change. Could it be that racism, and segregation have been so
ingrained in our way of life that we can't see it. Since the civil rights movement we think that just a few words and a few changed laws are going to make things equal. But how
can hundreds of years of thinking and society building be changed in 50 years. It can't, but we like to think of ourselves as so different from the ways our ancestors thought.
But were not, yes there are differences, but we still share a common history, we still share the same system. The system has changed, but just because policy is changed, the
outcome of the policy forgotten is still effecting us today.

How many people of color did u learn about in school. And if you did, did u also learn about their hardships, what they had to go through and how unjust society was. Did u hear
another type of perspective besides they helped make this nation what it is today. Well yea their slave labor helped zillionaires by todays standards (white land owners) be
able to cut and form this nation. Aww how nice of them, and did it without being told what to do. What about illegitimate children, the raping of women who couldn't say no, the demoralization that has been passed down from generation to generation. All black people in this country besides the ones that immigrated in the more recent past are connected to the dehumanization, demoralization, enslaved past. Why can't they trace back their roots, because it wasn't a concern to keep records for 3/5ths of a man.
There are many great white philosophers and symbols in our history, but there are just as many people of color that might paint a different view of what happened. Why can't we have an equal balance of both?
If you go down to the plantations in the South that are turned into museums, you hear about the white wealthy land owner and how we should take pride in him because they helped shape our country. But you won;t hear that he had hundreds of slaves in which he beat, whipped, raped, through food scraps to ect.. Not all did this of course, but a huge overwhelming majority did. But we have this beautiful romantic story of a plantation owner that was a good person and helped make this country into what it is today. A land full of people who think they are not racist.
What does the museum of tolerance teach you. That not one of us is clean of racism. It is apart of us because it is a part of our society. No longer do u hear most people speaking openly about how they hate black people. But I bet you have heard I'm glad there aren't people like that in my neighborhood. Or blacks are just good at basketball, (blacks and whites fall into this one, its so ingrained that black people are helping the racism), What do u think I'm black?, or this is a good one, why don't they just pick themselves up off their feet, I did it, so anyone can. Who is saying that. Show me a person of color that was not born into luxery saying that and I'll shut up. Bill Cosby yes had some powerful words recently to wards the black community of America. But his conclusion to black people was that complaining about the
life we are given has not worked in all these years. The only way to pull ourselves out of the gutters is to have to work harder , do more, and get ourselves out there. He was essentially saying complaining hasn't worked, we have to beat the system that is installed to keep us down. These are very wise words, but ask yourself, if you are a white person, is there any history in which white people have been pushed aside and then laws created to keep them there? Maybe a bit, but does it affect any of us today? most likely not, but thats the difference. people of color in this country are reminded everyday that they aren't white because of the past. If you are white, when was the last time u felt white.

The irish had a bad wrap when they came to this country, but what color is their skin? As soon as they had children in this land they started to lose their Irish ethnicity and blend into being US American, exactly what our ancestors wanted. And even an Irish immigrant on the street, If they didn't speak, and they were wearing clothing that fit the time period, "white n@##%^" the term that was given to them would never be thought of in the whites US American minds that passed them on the street.

This recent hurricane has brought the poor and racism back onto the table. Why are people shooting at aid workers, well they are so poor that they are using their animal instincts of survival to try and get as much as they can to try and survive, protect
their families ect.. When you are poor, u feel like the world has forgotten u, and when your a person of color and poor, u feel that the world doesn't care about you. Remember the American modo, be an individual, don't help others, but if u want to help others go ahead, but don;t force me to have to. Well think of these people as being individuals.

They are doing whatever means they have necessary to survive. New Orleans has a majority population of African Americans. And yet when you go to the streets that our beloved sex fest immature young men and women go to, the scenery is of mostly whites. Sounds a bit like segregation. yes there are poor white neighborhoods, But is it possible that with our history the poor black neighborhoods get created because of a system that gives them no one to relate to, and tells them they were once slaves, and yet now equal without the same opportunities as white people. I know what most will say, anyone can go get a better job. Yea maybe, but how much better is that job, and with todays standards of living, will any of those jobs help you improve your situation. Life seems to be about networking. How many jobs have u found in your life by just getting out there. I bet there were a few great ones that u heard about from someone on the street, a friend, family member, or just someone you interacted with. Life these days is about networking. If you don;t have the connections, you won't get very far. If you do, you defied all the odds against you. How about "white flight?" After ww2 white people fled from the cities
into tight little white suburban communities leaving the people of color behind. There is no way I'm raising my child around those people mentality. This has created large all
one race communities and a feeling that we should look for these type of communities when moving. Instead of living among each other, we choose to flee. The outcome is today we
are trying to live among each other and yet feel like there are so many differences. WELL there are, but in the past 50 years we have created more differences. Its like we are
trying to separate cultures. We are different, (people of color vs white people) there is no denying that. But we have a lot more in common than what we think. And a lot of the
differences that have been created are due to segregating ourselves from each other. Once again, we are the riches nation, and yet we know the littlest about the people we live
among. Yes I believe that there should be a common identity that is a US American. Not because its right, but because the world we live in is not ready for just a human
society.(a society where we care about our fellow man and woman before our own ethnicity, race, what have you) The common identity should not have you shed your entire skin.
You are what your family and environment had made you. You should not be stripped of your identity. But respecting the country, and its fellow citizens is a must. One doesn't
have to like its leader though. Just cause they respect the country as a whole doesn't mean they can't dislike or even hate its leaders. Especially if those leader do not
represent them. "No taxation without representation" (I'm white and rich, and u can't tell me what to do in a land that I control because of my money) This is what the wealthy
land owners were thinking, but it also means the people need to be properly represented if they are going to be taxed. Well I feel that I'm not represented whatsoever right
now. I believe in preserving the environment, living susstainably, global warming, the right of privacy in ones home or any possession they own, the right of property that
can't be taken away (aww all of u that think I'm just a communist, I believe in private property), the right to do whatever one wants to their own body, helping others, doing
whats best for society as aposed to a few select individuals, evolution, and I believe that our country should not be run by a man of pure faith.

Morals don't matter because the man who says he's guided by god (Bush) has no problem killing, or letting his own citizens die who live in extreme poverty. A man or woman that believes in science, human decency, and a fair life for all is what we need. With all the differences in religion anyway, it would be best if we had none of the religions in power. After all separation
of church and state. If you want to believe in tradition, go for it, but do not tell me I have to, and do not tell me I'm going to hell either. Prove it!!!!! Exactly its all
about faith, keep your faith, and if your right, congratulations, put in a good word for me will ya. =) But what if you were wrong.

Back to the South, Why is the aid not going to the poorest hardest hit area. They just happen to be black communities. Maybe its harder to get supplies into them? What does
that say about our rescue efforts. Did we choose to not help the most poor. We have all this sophisticated technology, and yet we don't dare use it to help our fellow country
men in the most need, we help the ones easiest to help (probably the cheapest) (All about maintaining profit) and leave the others to pillage for themselves for a while. (What
about RMA weapons? We take so much pride in our military machine but don't use the same technology to better ourselves, just kill others) This is why aid workers are being
shot. These people are losing their children in front of their eyes. They have turned to any means necessary to help themselves because no one has been helping them. They have
been taught well by society that society doesn't care about them. I have heard people lash out at these poor communities. "How could they shoot the aid workers? Did u ask
yourself maybe they can't afford the aid. They can't afford antiseptic, clean cloth's for wounds that all of us take for granted. Here's a good ignorant one " they were told
well in advance, they had time to get out" Who is saying this. Did u have a car to get out? did u have money to pay for the high gas prices? did u have money to pay for the
insurance that u must have to drive a car? There is no savings account, there is no comfort in these peoples lives like so many of us take for granted. When one lives in a poor
community, society forgets them because they are not adding to the capitalistic machine, only leaching on it. Leaching on it because that is the only means they can survive in
this society. No politician cares about the poor because they don;t vote. The elderly are the biggest turn out always so lets make sure we keep them as dopped up as possible.

I know this article I have posted is a bit on the liberal side and I'm sorry for that. This is a very important issue and I don;t want peoples differences to get in the way of
that, but this issue needs to be dealt with and taught to our youth so we will possibly start up again where we left off in the 1970's. A few words, amendments and acts are not going to wipe away hundreds of years. White people don't need to apologize, but they do need to learn about all the atrocities, why they happened,
why they shouldn't happen again, and what are the next steps to truly make this a place of equality, if thats what we all want. We take on the attitude that we are somehow
miraculously already there. We have made a lot of advances yes, Clarence Thomas =) (even though not the best candidate) is on the supreme court, Condoliza Rice and Collin
Powell back to back African American secretaries of state (also another woman in high status position) (Collin Powell I believe is a great man, condoliza I'm not too sure about.) What she has said about south American countries the Caribbean and Latin America has gotten me a bit startled. It seems were going back to the if you don;t listen to us mentality were going to either get rid of u, or put enough pressure around u that u will either be ousted or have to do what we say. (like a trip back to the communist days)
Also many women have now taken on high status positions, even though they still make 75 cents to every dollar a man makes. (average)
Anyway remember to think of others, and always question where peoples motives come from, as well as keep the fight for the dream that one day maybe this country will live up to the image it tries to project.

Reply to Msg #1400
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1401 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Mike Reed
Robert Jones  
The Human Condition
9/4/05, 7:37pm (Last Edited: 9/4/05, 7:41pm)
Mike,

I don't know what happened in New Orleans...why the aid did not get there sooner. I sat glued to the tube watching people suffer with tears in my eyes praying that they would get relief soon. I was to the point of telling them to give me the keys to a damn truck and I will drive it in there myself. Gunfire be damned. Everyone was outraged about what happened. I think the problem was there was a break down in communications and incompetence in leadership. From what I know of people here we all were horrified by the absence of relief. Nobody here wanted that to happen.

Your posts often anger me. I feel that you have the small minded view of the world. If a person is male he a sexist, if a person is white then they are a racist, if they are white and from the south, I'll let you fill in the blank there. There are no exceptions to your rule of thumb unless they are you and then maybe not even then. Perhaps to make your world a just place we should nuke the south and enslave everyone else in the world with white skin to penalize them as they are obviously guilty of being white and they should pay for the small minded crimes of their ancestors. You seem so willing to stereotype people into mindsets based upon simply race or place of birth. Not even in the south have I ever met someone that I felt was so small-minded. I think you should lighten up some and breath the air a little and for a moment take a deep breath of fresh air and marvel at something around you. Take a look at the mountains or sit by the ocean and enjoy something beautiful about the world.

When I meet people I look for the good in them. My contention is that all people are inherently basically good but sometimes do the wrong things. I have from time to time met people that I discovered were inherently evil and only sometimes did good things and often those were setups for personal gain. They do exist

Your views to me seem so pessemistic of the human condition. Your outlook seems to be only grim. I don't see any hope for the world by trying to view it from your perspective only that is doomed to hell. I will live my life and view my world from my perspective it has so much of a brighter future.

I have taken a look around my town, around my community. You would be shocked. There are absolutely no Welcome "whites only" signs out, nor are there any "White People Hurricane Relief aid stations around. The people here are some of the most awesome people I have ever known...I am proud to be from Panama City. We are openly welcoming anyone in need of help and I am unaware of anyone that has been denied relief or shelter. We have come together in a very big way. If you look here you will find a victory of the human spirit and a victory of humanity. Suit yourself, the choice of perspective is yours.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #1401
Back to Topics

Message #1403 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Mike Reed
Shon Wells
Re: Racism alive and well in America
9/4/05, 8:46pm
>Show me a person of color that was not born into luxery saying >that and I'll shut up.

Okay, do you want W.E.B. Du Bois who wrote in 1903 in The Souls of Black Folk, "The present generation of Southerners are not responsible for the past, and they should not be blindly hated or blamed for it." This was said by a southern black before any civil rights issues. Maybe that is too far back for you. Well how about Larry Elder. This must be an evil man he is black and raised in south central Los Angeles, went to Crenshaw High school. Or is that "luxery" to you? Maybe you should listen to his sindicated talk show, you might actually open your mind a little.

>Bill Cosby yes had some powerful words recently to wards the >black community of America. But his conclusion to black people >was that complaining about the life we are given has not >worked in all these years. The only way to pull ourselves out >of the gutters is to have to work harder , do more, and get >ourselves out there. He was essentially saying complaining >hasn't worked, we have to beat the system that is installed to >keep us down. These are very wise words

Your close, but still wrong. He said that the black community needs to stand up and stop accepting excuses or transfix their problems onto others. They need to make their own future and not be dependent on others or blame them for not making it. He pointed out, correctly I might add, that the high (approximately 70%) rate of children born outside of wedlock is an epidemic and a child needs a strong family support system. This is what he was pushing not that the "whities" are bad, but that they can make it if they try, just as anyone can.

The rest of your essay is so far fetched I wont comment but I do agree with the response to it and your fatalistic view of everything around you.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to Msg #1403
Back to Topics

Message #1404 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Mike Reed
Marie Reed  
9/5/05, 12:54am (Last Edited: 9/5/05, 9:55pm)
graphic
>If you want to believe in tradition, go for it, but do not
>tell me I have to, and do not tell me I'm going to hell
>either. Prove it!!!!! Exactly its all
>about faith, keep your faith, and if your right,
>congratulations, put in a good word for me will ya. =) But
>what if you were wrong.

Exactly... I'll keep my faith, and I'll TRY to put in a good word for you. You're basically saying for people to leave you alone and let you believe in what you want believe in. I, like you, don't like to be preached to. So, please, stop preaching.

I may not be black, but I am of color, and I do know, and have experienced, racism and discrimination during my lifetime. I have been told to go back to where I came from by the white race. Was I hurt? Sure I was. But I have to admit that I have my own racist issues. In my opinion, I think that everyone is racist at different levels.

For example, I live in a community where it is heavly populated with Latinos/Mexicans. There's nothing wrong with that. That's why I live where I live. However, when I drive down my street or go to the park within my community, and I see graffiti on mail boxes and newly constructed play area for the kids, racism, discrimination and anger completely seep through every pore of my body. Do these people have respect for this country? They came to the "land of opportunity" to have a better life, right? So, why disrespect those who live in this country? I don't think those graffiti artists would like it if I went to their house and started spray painting on their walls.

My bestfriend in high school and maid of honor at my wedding was Mexican. And you know what's really funny? She was actually embarrassed of her own nationality. She has told people that she's Spanish/a Spaniard. The girl was born in Mexico, and her parents are Mexicans. LOL!

However, I still believe that I live in the best country in the world. Thank GOD for the persistence and hard work of my father. He was able to come here to America and obtained a job as a professional electrial engineer to give his family a better life than living in the Philippines. And inspite of my being a Filipina and a woman, through my parents' love and hard work, and the opportunity this country gave me, I was given a chance to be educated and was able to land a professional job myself. I may have been discriminated against, but I sure have received more acceptance than discrmination.

You mentioned "networking". Yes, it is very helpful to network your way into better opportunities -- like a better job. You MAY get the job through good referrences from your network, but you still have to perform in order to keep the job.

I appreciate your passion and fervor, but I only see you heading in one direction, and that is trying to get everyone to only see things your way and through your eyes. Well, my brother, because there is so much diversity of people who live in this world, so will there be diversity in opinions, characteristics and beliefs. You can toot your horn all you want, but, because there are people who have lived life longer than you and have had countless experiences about life and living, you will not succeed in making everyone change their minds to go on the same track as you. That is, unless, of course, if everyone is like you and has your way of thinking.

If you are so passionate in making a change, do something about it instead of preaching. I have a cousin who is passionate about women's rights, and she wants to become a politician some day. What is she doing now? She is working as an intern in Washington, D.C. for an angecy or company that has to do with women and family planning. I don't necessarily agree with all her beliefs and passion either, but she wants to make a difference for women, and so she's doing something about it, not just talking about it.

I'm sorry. I'll have to disagree with you on this, very much like your other posts. I was going to let it go, but I could not be reticent about it when I've had personal experiences (both positive and negative) about your topic.

Reply to Msg #1404
Back to Topics

Marie Reed 's Blog

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1405 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Mike Reed
Robert Jones  
9/5/05, 2:10am (Last Edited: 9/5/05, 2:14am)
Mike,

That didn't happen to be you that called tonight was it? Not sure but I had a very strange call from a private number. I was wondering if you might of tried to call re this post. If it was you and I would have known it was you I would not have hang up the phone. As it stands I think some kids on the beach here were making some random prank calls, If it was them I didn't allow them time to enjoy their prank.

I have gone back and reread part of your post and part of what my response said was unfounded or unfair. I think I had you confused with one of your brothers that made a post a while back that seemed to lump all white southerners into one stereotype group with all being racist. That one kind of pushed my buttons a bit and I think I fired off an angry salvo reply. I take offense when someone insinuates that I am a racist or that most or all Southerners are racists. I think your post flirted with it but on instant replay I think we can set the ball on the one inch line.

Regardless, you were right about some things. White people wrote much of the early history of this country. Many achievements by black Americans were underscored or left out. The history books were written from a very white point of view too. The American Indian perspective was omitted too. I am not sure that it was a deliberate deed or just the way things were viewed back then. We can't change yesterday but we can influence and change tomorrow

Today, in my heart, I do not feel that the travesty that happened in New Orleans was a deliberate racial act. I tend to believe that the lapse in communication and incompetent people in leadership positions created the travesty. I don't feel that anyone deliberately withheld resources because the people who needed them were mostly black and poor.

If it is found to be deliberate then those responsible should be held accountable in a big way. When we get over the crisis I would like to see a Congressional Inquiry into what happened. Some of the responers and some of the leaders may not have had the courage to go in under fire or to ask people to go in under fire. Policy may have prevented them from making a decision to send people in under threat of gun fire. I don't know the answers...I just don't believe the lack of a timely response was racial.

What has happened here has never happened before. If I were to speculate, I would imagine the scenario may have been like this.... I could imagine training protocols that would detail "You are a relief worker not a soldier, if safety is an issue, hot electrical lines, gunfire, dangerous animals back off and wait for law enforcement to give an all clear. Do not become another victim. If a policy or training protocol such as this were in place it may have taken time for the decision to echo up the chain of command far enough for someone to give an order to override policy...sadly enough, I think this is going to be the case that we find. I think the caregivers and the leaders were operating under such policy and I assume some of the leaders would not override the policy because they did not want to assume responsibility and liability for getting their people hurt....and I think that word from law enforcement was that rescuers were under fire and that the New Orleans area was not yet secure. I don't think the relief forces were accustomed to dealing with the gun fire and danger that they encountered in New Orleans.

Part of the undertone that I get from your post and from another post...I don't think it was yours was that all or most white people in the South are racist. You should visit the South, not with a closed mind, but with an open mind. Draw your conclusions later. As I said before, all along the Gulf Coast tonight and in Texas and other cities there are victories of humanity that are taking place. Acts of generosity and compassion are being performed as we speak.

Let me relay a story that happened here a couple of years ago. My former girlfriend was part American Indian. Her brother was/is married to a Puerto Rican. They have two daughters. Both daughters are married to African Americans. They both had kids that were a blend of White, Black, Puerto Rican, and American Indian. One of my best friends was dating my girlfriend's niece. We all had thanksgiving and the ethnic blends made for some awesome foods. We were all family all of the races together. With our stuffed bellies we all gathered in the living room to watch football. We were all one family. I always looked forward to our family get-togethers. It was all family and all love. Christmases were great too. This happened here...in the heart of Dixie.

My belief is that there is a browning of America that is happening. We are all blending with Latin, Asian, White, Black, Indian, Middle Eastern, Eurasian, and European blends. Given time and in the scope of time it will not take much time we will all be of one race with a blended common heritage. The old melting pot theory is working and I believe this is a good thing. An evolution of society is taking place.

Reply to Msg #1405
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1406 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Mike Reed
Dr. Rub
9/5/05, 7:56am
man, these are some deep, well thought out, lengthy posts.

"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #1406
Back to Topics

Message #1407 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Marie Reed
Robert Jones  
Racism is on the Wane in America
9/5/05, 10:59am (Last Edited: 9/5/05, 11:01am)
I think we all experience racisim on one level or another. The allegation of racism, is by virtue, a racist remark....especially when it is made against a single race. It is a perpetual motion machine without end.

I remember once in Atlanta when my former girlfriend and I walked out of a Marta Train and walked smack dab into the middle of a Black Panther rally. The speaker was preaching hate to a large crowd. I was in a very uncomfortable and I felt dangerous situation. I felt particularly vunerable because she was there and I would defend her with my life against any odds.

I could cite other examples other times but living together is about getting over the differences not reliving them. It is about healing from the wounds of the past and not revisiting them. We have some small minded people in our society. If we dwell on the negative we will stimie the environment for good to grow. If we are appalled by an event or an act we must strive harder to overcome our failings as a society. We live in a world where hate groups exist. Their time is on the wane and they are diminishing as we evolve as a society. The good in people will win out over time.

Reply to Msg #1407
Back to Topics

Message #1409 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Marie Reed  
Re: Racism is on the Wane in America
9/5/05, 10:28pm
graphic
Here, here! Unfortunately, I don't think that racism will ever disappear. As long as we have different races, there will be racism, whether generalizing a specific race, or specifying acts of a specific race.

I just believe in doing good, and respecting those who are around me, even when sometimes I don't get the same level of respect.

Reply to Msg #1409
Back to Topics

Message #1410 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Marie Reed
Guest3802 (IP: 67.141.190.191)
9/6/05, 2:53pm
Randy here.
In Georgia racism it is openly discussed everywhere I go, whether it's the whites, blacks, hispanics or whatevers. I see no variation in color. It is what spews from the mouth of the racisist person that let's me know that that person want's to be segregated.

I did not read the entire post because I could see where it was going. Get in the future and forget the past!

Reply to Msg #1410
Back to Topics

Message #1411 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
9/6/05, 2:55pm
Randy again.
My post above is for everyone here and any visitor and not directed at any one person.

Reply to Msg #1411
Back to Topics

Message #1412 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach  
9/6/05, 3:27pm
graphic
>Randy here.
>
>I did not read the entire post because I could see where it
>was going. Get in the future and forget the past!

Saundrala here...Randy, I must disagree with your last point of "get in the future or present and forget the past. " Being Jewish ,it has been instilled in me "NOT TO FORGET" We see that what is old is new again time and time again...We are supposed to learn from the past how to live in the present and make it better for the future generations.

We are all racists or certainly have prejudice about something or another, it is only human for pete's sake. Why do we have to worry so damn much about offending others, when "others" don't seem to care if they offend anyone!!!Point to Ponder!!

I am sorry, but I have great resentment that I have to look around if I want to tell an "off-color" joke or pay special attention to someone I might not like to pay attention to "just because" they might get offended...I have heard the "RACIST" statement..."IT'S BECAUSE I AM BLACK" till I am sick. By the way where is the truth, that Black people CAN'T BE PREJUDICE, cause they are in the minority?

Have you ever been in Los Angeles? Then you tell me, who is the minority there. Well I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Let's all be people under God. I will never understand why we have such diversities in our cultures or color, but we have to make do.

I consider any one of color, religion etc. a friend until they prove me wrong! That's about the best I can say.

I Treat People Like I Want To Be Treated. It would be a real shame if I ever get jaded enough to treat people like THEY treat me...! AMEN!

Saundra Reed

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #1412
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1413 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
murphy brown  
9/7/05, 3:57pm
graphic
>Randy here.
>In Georgia racism it is openly discussed everywhere I go,
>whether it's the whites, blacks, hispanics or whatevers. I
>see no variation in color. It is what spews from the mouth of
>the racisist person that let's me know that that person want's
>to be segregated.
>
>I did not read the entire post because I could see where it
>was going. Get in the future and forget the past!

Thats one comment we always had about our trip to New Orleans. It seemed to be "colorless." Everyone worked, played and visited there from all walks of life. For us there was a comfortable feeling about it.

"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, totally worn out, shouting..Holy Shit!!
What a Ride!!"

Reply to Msg #1413
Back to Topics

Message #1414 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
saundrabeach  
Re: The Human Condition
9/8/05, 2:38pm
graphic
Robert, old chat buddy...I have to take notice of your statement to my son Mike. "You have a small minded view..."

I realise you wrote quickly, but to label a young person of our future in this manner, could prove to be damaging to his self image or esteem. While knowing my son, I am sure he will handle this better than his mom who reads it. However, I believe in "free speech" and I know from reading you, that you do too.

Mike is a young college student with new and strong ideals. he is testing his new found beliefs and is stil growing. even if you do not believe as he does, which is quite all right, he has the right to his opinion whether biased by his schooling or not.

I am proud that Michael has opinions at all as his mom. I used to fight him to go to school at all when he was younger, so I advocate his forward thinking and beliefs whether I agree with him or not.

Well thst is all I have to say about this.

Ms. Saundra

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #1414
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1416 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach
Robert Reed  
9/8/05, 9:52pm
graphic
Well said, could not agree more, although I know "Booga" to be a very good and fair minded man, however ,"dont mess with our Mike"., I too am very proud of him and that he has the "guts" to speak his mind, regardless as how he is percieved by others.(this from someone who voted for "geedoubleyer")

Most on this board do not know Mike, as his very proud dad, I can tell you that he is a very caring, kind, and gentle human being, bravo Michael, you have come a long way, he has a very large family who love him "more than dearly."

Reply to Msg #1416
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1422 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
saundrabeach  
9/9/05, 1:21pm
graphic
KUDOS TO YOU FOR YOUR PART IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS"INTERESTING "YOUNG MAN.

Michael is to be congratulated for his incredible effort education wise, and to you for supporting his "slow" but sure progress.

I am so proud of all of our boys. We sure did something right!

I like Booga very much and said so, but when it comes to one of my little lions, I am a MAMA LION, as you know...

Reply to Msg #1422
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1484 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Ms Saundra and Mr. Lugster and Mike
Robert Jones  
9/22/05, 11:25pm
I appoligize for the "Small Minded View" remark. Someone, and I don't think it was Mike, made a remark once that seemed to insinuate that all white southerners were racists. When I started reading Mike's post I thought it was going in that direction and I had had a knee jerk reaction. I must admit I didn't read the entire post but I did reread parts of the post which was enough to convince me that he was not trying to say that.

Mike puts a lot of thought into his posts and he has a real mental grasp of the issue. The length of the posts and the complexity are often too much for the average reader. Due to the length and complexity, I don't have the stamina or the interest to get that deep in the topic. I don't think I ever fully comprehended what was being said but I think I read enough that I was satisfied that the gist of his post was not completely in the direction I thought it was going originally.

Mike, I enjoy your input and discussion. I think I speak for some of the rest of us when I say that it might be helpful in this forum context to reduce the length of your posts. They come across more like a thesis than a discussion. I admire your outspokeness and your fearless manner of taking a side and holding postition in the face of popular opinion.

I seldom put much thought into some of the topics that you broach such as the legalization of marijuana or racism etc. I enjoy exploring the topics and refining my views based upon discussion and entertaining different points of view. It makes me rethink and explore my position on the topics. I prefer a discussion over a scientific dissertation. Sometimes I read just enough to draw inaccurate conclusions. I appoligize for my inflamed remarks.

Reply to Msg #1484
Back to Topics

Message #1485 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
saundrabeach  
9/23/05, 12:02pm
graphic
Thank you Booga for your heartfelt appology regarding my son Mikey. I feel it was sincere and well written as always.

Having said that...I am glad you reread his posts...I am gladf that you well stated that his posts are DEFINITELY too LONG. I wholeheartedly agree with you. Remembering that he is challenged daily to write "thesis" type articles in college. He will learn to be short and to the point in law school (I hope). One really can say MORE by saying LESS. At least one can more readily get the atention of others. I myself sigh when reading his long overbroad at times reports.

You are one of my favorites, and I read everything you write whether or not I am interested, because I love the way you write and your adventures, which I vicariously live through at least.

So again thank you for being a "mench"...*ask Larry what that means...Jewishness again.

Warmth,

Ms. Saundra

P.S. I was never angry with you, just protective of my "little cub" as I stated.

Reply to Msg #1485
Back to Topics

Message #1491 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach
Robert Jones  
9/24/05, 12:16am

>
>P.S. I was never angry with you, just protective of my
>"little cub" as I stated.

I was sure of that...I expected as much.

Reply to Msg #1491
Back to Topics

Message #1492 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
The Boogaman Chronicles Thread
Patty McKenzie
9/24/05, 2:03pm
graphic
Well...I may be a little late in responding [been busy with "e-ALL-quote& the hurricane victims]...but,I did read ALL that Mike said and was very impressed with his knowledge and forsight of our country, even before I got down to the responses from everyone...Dandi, you did good girl!! Oh, you too, Dad.

Character is doing the right thing when no one is watching.
Truth is perception...author,me!

Reply to Msg #1492
Back to Topics

Message #1493 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
The Boogaman Chronicles Thread
Patty McKenzie
9/24/05, 2:05pm
graphic
Sorry for the... "e-ALL-quote& ...you know what I meant though..."ALL"

Character is doing the right thing when no one is watching.
Truth is perception...author,me!

Reply to Msg #1493
Back to Topics

Message #1494 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach
Guest7677 (IP: 68.122.146.180)
9/25/05, 2:23am
Dunno what Larry thinks, but Mench,---- does that have smrthing to so with Wench??

Reply to Msg #1494
Back to Topics

Message #1495 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
9/25/05, 2:27am

Reply to Msg #1495
Back to Topics

Message #1496 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy  
9/25/05, 10:32am
graphic
>Dunno what Larry thinks, but Mench,---- does that have
>smrthing to so with Wench??

Nope. A "mench" is basically a standup guy. A good person.

To use it in a sentence: "I'm a mench because I usually don't let Mike's posts get to me."

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #1496
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter