RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest5455 (52.204.98.217)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Politics, Government & Law : Reading "Schwarzenegger to Hometown: Remove My Name " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #1560 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
BBlast
Schwarzenegger to Hometown: Remove My Name
12/20/05, 5:47am (Last Edited: 12/20/05, 6:24am)
graphic
I am really starting to like this guy!!

F48B.html

By JENNIFER COLEMAN
Associated Press Writer
Dec 19 6:51 PM US/Eastern

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Monday told officials in his hometown in Austria to remove his name from a sports stadium and stop using his identity to promote the city. The governor's request came after politicians in Graz began a petition drive to rename the stadium, reacting to Schwarzenegger's decision last week to deny clemency to condemned inmate Stanley Tookie Williams. Opposition to the death penalty is strong in Austria.

In a letter that began "Dear Mister Mayor," Schwarzenegger said he decided to spare the Graz city council "further concern" should he be forced to make other clemency decisions while he's governor. Another inmate is scheduled to be executed in California Jan. 17.

"In all likelihood, during my term as governor, I will have to make similar and equally difficult decisions," Schwarzenegger said in the letter. "To spare the responsible politicians of the city of Graz further concern, I withdraw from them as of this day the right to use my name in association with the Liebenauer Stadium."

The stadium was renamed for the former Hollywood star in 1997. He asked that the lettering be removed by year's end.

Schwarzenegger spokeswoman Margita Thompson said the letter was faxed Monday to the Graz city hall. The city council was expected to take up the matter next month.

In the letter, Schwarzenegger also said he would no longer permit the use of his name "to advertise or promote the city of Graz in any way" and would return the city's "ring of honor."

The ring was given to him in a ceremony in Graz in 1999. At the time, Schwarzenegger said he considered it "a token of sincere friendship between my hometown and me."

"Since, however, the official Graz appears to no longer accept me as one of their own, this ring has lost its meaning and value to me. It is already in the mail," the governor wrote.

Williams, co-founder of the Crips gang, was convicted of four 1979 murders. He was executed shortly after midnight Dec. 13.

This says it is an AP story, and if true..well...my hat is off to him! Any other "politician" would have caved, I think!

OK, me again..I logged back in because I saw THIS article and I just HAD to post it!

lone/2005/12/20/1135032020017.html

The mayor of Californian Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's home town in Austria lashed out at the governor's critics on Tuesday, a day after Schwarzenegger severed ties with his birthplace in a dispute over his support of the death penalty for murder.

Siegfried Nagl, mayor of the southern city of Graz, accused the Social Democrats, Greens and others who have opposed Schwarzenegger of orchestrating an "embarrassing farce" and insisted that most locals were proud of Schwarzenegger.

On Monday, Schwarzenegger told Graz officials to remove his name from a soccer stadium and to stop using it to promote the city, and he said he was returning a ring of honour that Graz gave him in 1999.

Schwarzenegger was reacting to harsh criticism in his homeland of his refusal to grant clemency to convicted murderers awaiting execution on California's death row.

Capital punishment is illegal in Europe, and last week's execution of multi-murderer Stanley Tookie Williams had prompted some Austrians to launch a petition drive to rename Graz's Schwarzenegger Stadium.

Nagl told the Austria Press Agency he at least wanted to prevent Schwarzenegger from returning the ring.

He said he would send the governor a letter asking him to reconsider and reassuring him that he remains beloved in Graz.

In a letter to the mayor, Mr Schwarzenegger said he had decided to spare the Graz city council "further concern" should he be forced to make other clemency decisions while governor. He faces another such decision regarding an inmate scheduled to be executed on January 17.

Graz's Liebenauer Stadium had been renamed for the former Hollywood star in 1997.

The proposal to rename the stadium is supported by the Greens and the Social Democrats, giving it majority backing on the council.

Mr Schwarzenegger's letter also said he would no longer permit the use of his name "to advertise or promote the city of Graz in any way" and he would return the city's "ring of honour".

The ring was given to him in a ceremony in Graz in 1999. At the time, he said he considered it "a token of sincere friendship between my home town and me.

"Since, however, the official Graz appears to no longer accept me as one of their own, this ring has lost its meaning and value to me. It is already in the mail," he wrote.

--------------------------------------------------------
"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

Reply to Msg #1560
Back to Topics

Message #1566 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BBlast
Robert Jones  
Re: Schwarzenegger to Hometown: Remove My Name
12/20/05, 7:40pm
I have always been a fan of Arnold's. I have always thought that he was sincere in his own self view as a champion of the people. With sincereness in that aspect I have alwas felt Arnold would be just and fair unlikely to become corrupt. Perhaps I should bump one of my preelection posts in that regard

Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #1566
Back to Topics

Message #1567 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Dr. Rub
Re: Schwarzenegger to Hometown: Remove My Name
12/29/05, 7:08am
Good for Arnold!

"I'm a cop you idiot! I'm detective John Kimble!"

"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #1567
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter