RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest15594 (3.227.2.109)
Posts: 0
Read Mode: Topics
Status: Guest
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Politics, Government & Law : Reading "Back in the Mode of Fear" Thread

Username Password


This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #1796 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Chris Reed  
Back in the Mode of Fear
8/16/06, 10:50am
graphic
We seemingly are back in that mode where every little disturbance means a "We're all about to die" terrorist attack.

Case in point was this morning’s diversion of a plane to Boston. (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?ty
pe=topNews&storyID=2006-08-16T161147Z_01_WBT005787_
RTRUKOC_0_UK-SECURITY-BOSTON.xml
)

The issue isn’t with the precautions taken when a passenger created a disturbance. The issue is how the Fox News and CNNs of the world immediately latched on to this as the start of another 9/11. This included a report that the passenger had “Vaseline, a screwdriver and a note from Al Qaida.”

Turned out the passenger had no such thing and was only having a claustrophobia breakdown.

We’re right back in that mode of fear.

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1796
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Chris Reed 's Blog


Message #1798 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Chris Reed
Rob Reed  
Re: Back in the Mode of Fear
8/16/06, 2:16pm (Last Edited: 8/16/06, 2:17pm)
graphic
Oh, man... I can't wait until we hit the airport this weekend.

Marie and I are taking a Mediterranean (sp?) Cruise for a few weeks, starting this Saturday with three plane flights, en route to Venice, Italy where we meet up with our cruise ship.

Should be a lot of fun... we'll take lots of pictures... provided, of course, we don't have any 60 year old ladies on board with claustrophobia, vaseline, and a screwdriver.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1798
Back to Topics


Message #1799 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
murphy brown  
Re: Back in the Mode of Fear
8/16/06, 7:32pm
graphic
>Oh, man... I can't wait until we hit the airport this weekend.
>
>
>Marie and I are taking a Mediterranean (sp?) Cruise for a few
>weeks, starting this Saturday with three plane flights, en
>route to Venice, Italy where we meet up with our cruise ship.
>
>Should be a lot of fun... we'll take lots of pictures...
>provided, of course, we don't have any 60 year old ladies on
>board with claustrophobia, vaseline, and a screwdriver.


Wow! That sounds fantastic! Have a great trip!!

--------------------------------------------------------
"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, totally worn out, shouting..Holy Shit!!
What a Ride!!"
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1799
Back to Topics


Message #1800 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Larry Levy  
Re: Back in the Mode of Fear
8/17/06, 8:26am
graphic
Hi, Rob,

That sure beats travelling to Bloomington, Indiana

Have a wonderful and safe time!

--------------------------------------------------------
" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1800
Back to Topics


Message #1802 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
murphy brown and Larry
Rob Reed  
Re: Back in the Mode of Fear
8/17/06, 9:23am
graphic
Thanks! Should be amazing (and different). We hit the tips of Croatia and Turkey (never thought I would ever say I had been there), tour Venice, Italy, and a number of the Greek Isles (Marie's idea -- she saw Santorini in the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants movie and she HAD to go there).

I imagine we'll have internet on the ship, so I'll give periodic reports...

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1802
Back to Topics


Message #1803 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
BestLight
Bon voyage (and take me with you?)
8/17/06, 1:26pm
Hey, Rob.

We honeymooned in Greece and Turkey. Spent a night or two on Santorini -- you can't go wrong there! I'm very jealous.

Be open to Turkish hospitality. At times, it seems like they just want to sell you a carpet (and often that's true), but occasionally it's just a really nice person who wants to share tea and talk English with you and demonstrate their incredible brand of hospitality. At least that's what we found 11 years ago. (I realize the world may have changed since then.)

Bon voyage!

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1803
Back to Topics


Message #1805 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Chris Reed
BBlast
Re: Back in the Mode of Fear
8/18/06, 5:47am (Last Edited: 8/18/06, 5:55am)
graphic
>We seemingly are back in that mode where every little
>disturbance means a "We're all about to die" terrorist
>attack.
>
>Case in point was this morning’s diversion of a plane to
>Boston.
>
>
>-08-16T161147Z_01_WBT005787_RTRUKOC_0_UK-SECURITY-BOSTON.xml)
>
>The issue isn’t with the precautions taken when a passenger
>created a disturbance. The issue is how the Fox News and CNNs
>of the world immediately latched on to this as the start of
>another 9/11. This included a report that the passenger had
>“Vaseline, a screwdriver and a note from Al Qaida.”
>
>Turned out the passenger had no such thing and was only having
>a claustrophobia breakdown.
>
>We’re right back in that mode of fear.
>

But she DID pee on herself!(today's news) Terrorist? Probably not..but I wouldn't have wanted to be sittin' next to her!


--------------------------------------------------------
"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1805
Back to Topics


Message #1806 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
BBlast
Re: Back in the Mode of Fear
8/18/06, 5:48am
graphic
>Oh, man... I can't wait until we hit the airport this weekend.
>
>
>Marie and I are taking a Mediterranean (sp?) Cruise for a few
>weeks, starting this Saturday with three plane flights, en
>route to Venice, Italy where we meet up with our cruise ship.
>
>Should be a lot of fun... we'll take lots of pictures...
>provided, of course, we don't have any 60 year old ladies on
>board with claustrophobia, vaseline, and a screwdriver.

Yea..you need to save those items for a trip to Vegas.....

--------------------------------------------------------
"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1806
Back to Topics


Message #1810 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BBlast
murphy brown  
Re: Back in the Mode of Fear
8/18/06, 12:21pm
graphic
>>We seemingly are back in that mode where every little
>>disturbance means a "We're all about to die" terrorist
>>attack.
>>
>>Case in point was this morning’s diversion of a plane to
>>Boston.
>>
>>
>>-08-16T161147Z_01_WBT005787_RTRUKOC_0_UK-SECURITY-BOSTON.
>xml)
>>
>>The issue isn’t with the precautions taken when a passenger
>>created a disturbance. The issue is how the Fox News and
>CNNs
>>of the world immediately latched on to this as the start of
>>another 9/11. This included a report that the passenger had
>>“Vaseline, a screwdriver and a note from Al Qaida.”
>>
>>Turned out the passenger had no such thing and was only
>having
>>a claustrophobia breakdown.
>>
>>We’re right back in that mode of fear.
>>
>
>But she DID pee on herself!(today's news) Terrorist? Probably
>not..but I wouldn't have wanted to be sittin' next to her!
>
The poor thing is no doubt completely moritified by all this. I have a friend that is highly claustrophobic and its a miserable feeling. We took a train downtown once and she was fine until a whole bunch of people got on and then she came unglued. She was gasping for air and turned bright red and was very agitated. Talk about Mr Toads Wild Ride! And then we had to take the train home. Thank goodness we found an isolated car and no crowds.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, totally worn out, shouting..Holy Shit!!
What a Ride!!"
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1810
Back to Topics


Message #1814 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
murphy brown
BBlast
Re: Back in the Mode of Fear
8/21/06, 6:01am
graphic
>>>We seemingly are back in that mode where every little
>>>disturbance means a "We're all about to die" terrorist
>>>attack.
>>>
>>>Case in point was this morning’s diversion of a plane to
>>>Boston.
>>>
>>>
>>>-08-16T161147Z_01_WBT005787_RTRUKOC_0_UK-SECURITY-BOSTON.
>>xml)
>>>
>>>The issue isn’t with the precautions taken when a passenger
>>>created a disturbance. The issue is how the Fox News and
>>CNNs
>>>of the world immediately latched on to this as the start of
>>>another 9/11. This included a report that the passenger had
>>>“Vaseline, a screwdriver and a note from Al Qaida.”
>>>
>>>Turned out the passenger had no such thing and was only
>>having
>>>a claustrophobia breakdown.
>>>
>>>We’re right back in that mode of fear.
>>>
>>
>>But she DID pee on herself!(today's news) Terrorist?
>Probably
>>not..but I wouldn't have wanted to be sittin' next to her!
>>
>The poor thing is no doubt completely moritified by all this.
>I have a friend that is highly claustrophobic and its a
>miserable feeling. We took a train downtown once and she was
>fine until a whole bunch of people got on and then she came
>unglued. She was gasping for air and turned bright red and was
>very agitated. Talk about Mr Toads Wild Ride! And then we had
>to take the train home. Thank goodness we found an isolated
>car and no crowds.

Did you or she know that she had this condition ahead of time?

You could imagine what would happen if someone like that was on the undergound red line..and it stops! (According to my wife, when that thing stops, the lights go out..and there are NO emergency lights! That would freak ME out!)

--------------------------------------------------------
"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1814
Back to Topics


Message #1815 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BBlast
murphy brown  
Re: Back in the Mode of Fear
8/22/06, 7:16am
graphic
>>I have a friend that is highly claustrophobic and its a
>>miserable feeling. We took a train downtown once and she was
>>fine until a whole bunch of people got on and then she came
>>unglued. She was gasping for air and turned bright red and
>was
>>very agitated. Talk about Mr Toads Wild Ride! And then we
>had
>>to take the train home. Thank goodness we found an isolated
>>car and no crowds.
>
>Did you or she know that she had this condition ahead of
>time?
>
>You could imagine what would happen if someone like that was
>on the undergound red line..and it stops! (According to my
>wife, when that thing stops, the lights go out..and there are
>NO emergency lights! That would freak ME out!)
>
She and her husband were well aware of it but had just mentioned it in passing like it was no big deal. They both seemed embarrassed..Its something a lot of folks dont accept as valid I guess.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, totally worn out, shouting..Holy Shit!!
What a Ride!!"
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1815
Back to Topics


Message #1816 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
murphy brown
BBlast
Re: Back in the Mode of Fear
8/23/06, 6:06am
graphic
>>>I have a friend that is highly claustrophobic and its a
>>>miserable feeling. We took a train downtown once and she
>was
>>>fine until a whole bunch of people got on and then she came
>>>unglued. She was gasping for air and turned bright red and
>>was
>>>very agitated. Talk about Mr Toads Wild Ride! And then we
>>had
>>>to take the train home. Thank goodness we found an isolated
>>>car and no crowds.
>>
>>Did you or she know that she had this condition ahead of
>>time?
>>
>>You could imagine what would happen if someone like that was
>>on the undergound red line..and it stops! (According to my
>>wife, when that thing stops, the lights go out..and there
>are
>>NO emergency lights! That would freak ME out!)
>>
>She and her husband were well aware of it but had just
>mentioned it in passing like it was no big deal. They both
>seemed embarrassed..Its something a lot of folks dont accept
>as valid I guess.
>
>

I dunno about that...seems like it just respect for your travelling partners to let them know that you might have a problem. Might also keep you out of high-rise elevators...


--------------------------------------------------------
"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1816
Back to Topics

   Message #1817 is a deleted message...
Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1817
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter