RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest5455 (52.204.98.217)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Politics, Government & Law : Reading "The truth about media bias" Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #1844 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Shon Wells
The truth about media bias
9/26/06, 10:24am
Good interview by a S.F.P.D. commanding officer.
http://mfile.akamai.com/12948/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/200
6/0728/9591734.300k.asx

--------------------------------------------------------
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to Msg #1844
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Randy Edwards 's Blog

Message #1845 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Shon Wells
Rob Reed  
Re: The truth about media bias
9/26/06, 3:41pm
graphic
Welcome back, Shon... without knowing the context of the pursuit and not knowing what media articles this person in the video was speaking about, I did a quick search on the officer (Birco is the spelling), and it turns out that he was killed while other officers were chasing this idiot and his cronies who were fleeing a robbery.

According to the article I read briefly, they are not sure if Birco was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, or if he was there intentionally.

Nonetheless, I don't see a problem or a dishonor to the memory of Officer Birco if the methods that led to Officer Birco's death were analyzed or criticized. I think to honor Officer Birco, other alternatives should be considered, discussed, and debated.

The video, out of context, made it seem that the media was criticizing Birco. I don't see how they could possibly be doing that.

Here is an article I found... http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2006/07/31/1829311
4.php

It says that throughout history, more than 200 officers have lost their lives in high speed chases (I am assuming that this is just in San Francisco).

Is it a dishonor to Officer Birco and the other officers who lost their lives during high speed chases to criticize the high speed chase in general?

There may, in fact, be no other alternatives, but I think it should at least be discussed.

I'm just thinking out loud... but you're my friend, and you happen to be a police officer. If something like this, God forbid, were to happen to you, I would be questioning whether other alternatives could have been used.

It would be because I think your life is worth that questioning...

Just my two cents, but thanks for the video!

I love guys like this. It reminds me of the HBO special I just saw on Barry Goldwater. We need more no-nonsense, no-bullshit, political-correctness-be-damned people like that in our high offices.

The judge issue I am right on board with, though. It is a travesty that this waste of life who killed Officer Birco was on the street.

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #1845
Back to Topics

Message #1846 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Shon Wells
Larry Levy  
9/27/06, 4:55pm
graphic
Shon: Great video. I tend to agree with the cop, though I can appreciate the need for oversight. I thought he was great!

Rob: I watched the Goldwater documentary last night too. Excellent. I was a fan of his since Watergate. I think he was a wonderful Senator, but I'm not sure he would have made a great President. I was a little worried about his advocating tactical nukes in Vietnam. But, as I said to Janice: A guy who likes airplanes and ham radio can't be all bad!

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #1846
Back to Topics

Message #1847 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Shon Wells
Randy Edwards  
10/11/06, 4:26pm
graphic
Very good interview. I was told that cops were "expendable", a long time ago. I'm still out and have no plans of going back. I do miss it from time to time, but I'm reminded by one of my friends who is an assistant Chief of all the crap involved and I'm glad to be where I'm at.

Life is great..........Randy

Reply to Msg #1847
Back to Topics

Message #1848 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Shon Wells
Randy Edwards  
10/11/06, 4:28pm
graphic
Oh yeah, you don't see a P.I.O. defend and officer like that. My hat it off. I have the same feelings about the media and the judges and a few A.D.A.'s.

Reply to Msg #1848
Back to Topics

Message #1849 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Randy Edwards  
10/11/06, 4:30pm
graphic
I read your link. It seems to be a bit biased or just plain predjudiced.

Reply to Msg #1849
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter