RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest5075 (54.242.25.198)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Politics, Government & Law : Reading "The Oath of Office" Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #1872 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Rob Reed  
The Oath of Office
11/29/06, 2:44pm (Last Edited: 11/29/06, 2:45pm)
graphic
Keith Ellison was recently elected to the U.S. Senate from Minnesota. He is the first Muslim representative ever elected to Congress.

He has come out and stated that he wishes to take his oath of office on the Koran.

And, as you might imagine, there has been some uproar.

Once again, the beauty of our Constitution and the thinking of our Founding Fathers comes into the spotlight.

From the U.S. Constitution:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

If we are honest, the declaration of telling the truth or upholding the laws of the land by putting a hand on a Bible is largely symbolic. But, in my opinion, it is an important symbol, because one is publically making a sworn declaration with the backup of a document that the swearer believes in (presumably).

Why would we want a devout Muslim to make an oath or affirmation on a text that he does not believe in?

I love that the Founding Fathers inserted a "no religious test" provision. While I have a problem if someone wants to swear on, say, a Curious George book, I think that for symbolic purposes, swearing on a religious book that the swearer believes in is perfectly sufficient.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #1872
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Rob Reed's Blog

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #1873 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
saundrabeach  
Re: The Oath of Office
11/29/06, 3:15pm (Last Edited: 11/29/06, 3:22pm)
graphic
A good argument in point.

While no Jewish Person has been elected President as yet, it would be quite interesting to watch on TV they (she) (hope-hope) had a hand on the Torah.

I would actually love to see someone test the waters with a Curious George Book or the like.

Freedom! Founding Fathers sure had a thought or two. Amazing that all their thoughts, though antiquated, still prevail and are pertinent for the most part.

What happened to "Separation of Church and State?" A sworn statement under penalty of perjury i.e. OJ Simpson should be enough, but we know IT ISN'T...

A man's honor used to be solemn and sacred as in the Old Southern Movies I love with dueling and all. What really is sacred these days? Other than the obvious love of family. (Hopefully)

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #1873
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

saundrabeach 's Blog

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter