RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest18393 (18.205.96.39)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Politics, Government & Law : Reading "The U.S./U.K., a VERY special relationship " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #2037 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Reed  
The U.S./U.K., a VERY special relationship
5/8/07, 1:27am (Last Edited: 5/8/07, 8:50am)
graphic
The QUEEN is here., many Americans view her with disdain.
She has no political power, but in her advisory role to British Leaders since 1952 her advice Must have value.

To many "britains", her value is as a "figurehead", that "will not go away, much like "the flag".

This was very Important during W.W.2.,( her father George 6th), when Britain stood ALONE for two years,Gt. Britain was the ONLY country at the time, standing up to Nazi Germany., the whole country was "under attack", but "Everyone", endured it.
I was born in 1945, the incredibly brave people who fought that war "changed the world", and saved many, including myself, without them , I would not be here, there would not be an "RRBBS".
The Special Relationship between the U.S./U.K. is what "beat the nazi devils".

Her words today,"Administrations in your country, and governments in mine, may come and go, but talk we will, listen, we have to, disagree from time to time we may, but united we must always remain".

In the founding of the U.S.A. and it's principles, Jamestown, was the genesis.
A project of "the London Co", (imagine present day Walmart or G.E. seeking governmental licence to colonize Mars,)that is precisely what happened here.
Private enterprise had arrived.

The "London Co.", expected a return, that came with John Rolfe's importation of "the Tobacco seed".

These people endured incredible hardship, remembering life expectancy at that time in London was 20-40 years, (40 was for the "so called upper classes).

upon landing in 1607, they came under immediate attack from the locals, (very sharp stone arrows, took their toll), they immediately built a fort, constructed in 19 days, they were a hundred plus men.
A re-enactment took place in 2004 to do same, they had use of Power tools and took about the same time to complete the task, using 21st century tools.!!!!.

What an amazing Lot, these men were, in a "hot June climate", (I know from experience they had not endured such a climate), nevertheless, to build their fort, they cut down 600 trees with 16th century implements, and built it,( with arrows zooming at them,) in NINETEEN days.

History is so amazing when one thinks "what if",---------.

It is TRUE, that George Washington's grandfather, gave up, and set sail , back to England, his ship (took on water in the bay), he returned , and stayed, (heard that on Paul Harvey), and Now you know the REST of the story.

The Winter of 1609 became "The Starving Time", having eaten rodents, dogs and cats, and sometimes corpses, the Jamestown Colony also "gave up, and set sail to return back to England., as they left the Chesapeake bay they were met by supply ships, and turned around.

The successor to the London Co., was the Virginia Co.

In 1618 the Va. co., created a general assembly to advise the governor, known as the "burgesses",I.E. representatives, the theory was that people would more likely obey laws, they had consented to.

The seed would be sown in Virginia, and so sprout the "political academy", that would spawn George Washington,(English), and Thomas Jefferson, (welsh).

A new dynamic system had arrived in the "New world", creating "Democratic capitalism", since it was a corporate entity that settled Jamestown,-------- for ALL it's faults, there is no better system of Government.

Reply to Msg #2037
Back to Topics

Message #2038 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
Rob Reed  
Re: The U.S./U.K., a VERY special relationship
5/8/07, 8:48am
graphic
>The QUEEN is here., many Americans view her with disdain.

Really? I would say most don't "view her at all." Personally, I haven't paid any attention to her visit.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #2038
Back to Topics

Message #2039 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
Robert Jones  
5/8/07, 9:42pm
I have been watching her visit and have felt honored as an American to have such an esteemed dignitary....in truth, the most esteemed of dignitaries visit our country and our culture. I am not big on the pomp and circumstance and pageantry that seem to define her life...not my cup of tea ....I was somewhat offended by one of the commentators calling the common Americans visiting the Kentucky Derby in shorts and T Shirts as "Riff Raff" and not her cup of tea...I found the comment to be offensive, snooty, and distasteful but the Queen did not make the statement and I felt as though it illustrated the commentator as being snooty. I continue to be in awe of the queen. She is a very special and honorable lady.

Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #2039
Back to Topics

Message #2040 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
saundrabeach  
5/9/07, 10:50am (Last Edited: 5/9/07, 10:59am)
graphic
I agree with you Booga wholeheartedly. American casual style may be lacking in someone's etiquette, but non the less "when in Rome"

I felt it was most distasteful and SAD to see one of our American icons mocked and shamed at his tender age for shaking and kissing Her Majesty's "gloved" hand. That being "Mickey Rooney" ((born Joseph Yule, Jr., September 23, 1920) Off hand I was amazed he was still alive, and at first, I wondered why he was invited to this auspicious occasion. Remembering his starring role in "National Velvet" with Liz Taylor (was she there?) perhaps he met the Queen in his youth. He, an AMERICAN, was so moved, and noticeably thrilled to be in her presense, that he kissed her hand, acknowledging her grandure no doubt. Never being disrespectful. Bet it was nice for the Queen that someone was older than she at the affair.

Long live the Queen, and long live Mickey Rooney!

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #2040
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

saundrabeach 's Blog

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter