RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest5075
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Politics, Government & Law : Reading "School Board Sued Over Screening of'Brokeback Mounfain'" Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #2043 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
saundrabeach  
School Board Sued Over Screening of'Brokeback Mounfain'
5/14/07, 1:45am (Last Edited: 5/14/07, 1:51am)
graphic
I am curious how Rob,esq. feels about this lawsuit. Frivolous or rightous. What happened to a reprimand and a tsk tsk? Or Do not do this again. While I agree that this was strange and inappropriate for a substitue teacher to do, I find it hard to believe a 12 year old in 2007 would be "psychologically scarred." Unless maybe she is Amish or such. If anything I would bet the kids in the class giggled and or went ewwww!

Substitute Teacher Showed R-Rated Film to Class

(May 13) - A girl and her grandparents have sued the Chicago Board of Education, alleging that a substitute teacher showed the R-rated film "Brokeback Mountain" in class.

Paramount Pictures / ZUMA Press
'Brokeback Mountain,' starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, is at the center of a $500,000 lawsuit filed by the family of a 12-year-old.

The lawsuit claims that Jessica Turner, 12, suffered psychological distress after viewing the movie in her 8th grade class at Ashburn Community Elementary School last year.

The film, which won three Oscars, depicts two cowboys who conceal their homosexual affair.

Turner and her grandparents, Kenneth and LaVerne Richardson, are seeking around $500,000 in damages.

"It is very important to me that my children not be exposed to this," said Kenneth Richardson, Turner's guardian. "The teacher knew she was not supposed to do this."

According to the lawsuit filed Friday in Cook County Circuit Court, the video was shown without permission from the students' parents and guardians.

The lawsuit also names Ashburn Principal Jewel Diaz and a substitute teacher, referred to as "Ms. Buford."

The substitute asked a student to shut the classroom door at the West Side school, saying: "What happens in Ms. Buford's class stays in Ms. Buford's class," according to the lawsuit.

Richardson said his granddaughter was traumatized by the movie and had to undergo psychological treatment and counseling.

In 2005, Richardson complained to school administrators about reading material that he said included curse words.

"This was the last straw," he said. "I feel the lawsuit was necessary because of the warning I had already given them on the literature they were giving out to children to read. I told them it was against our faith."

Messages left over the weekend with CPS officials were not immediately returned.

--------------------------------------------------------
TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #2043
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #2044 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach
Larry Levy  
Re: School Board Sued Over Screening of'Brokeback Mounfain'
5/14/07, 8:26am
graphic
I don't think that's worth a law suit, but I also don't think that's a film for 12 year old kids.

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #2044
Back to Topics

Message #2045 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
saundrabeach  
5/14/07, 9:48am
graphic
I definately agree with you about the questionable taste exhibited by this sub teacher. Can't imagine what was on their mind? Perhaps this teacher was gay and trying to educate?

People are so litigious! Only thing that is good for is (sorry Robbie) their attorneys in the long run...

I think Rob is one of the only "ethical" attorneys practicing, and that is first hand knowledge!

**I bet Rob is laughing now remembering his "ethics" exam in law school...

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #2045
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #2046 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach
Larry Levy  
5/14/07, 11:32am
graphic
Rob is indeed one of the good guys.

Speaking of frivolous lawsuits. There was a story in the L.A. Times yesterday about four children who are suing ABC TV, Disney and the producers of Extreme Home Makeover for fraud. Basically, the four children (two are now adults)were orphaned a few years ago. They were taken in by a family from their church and the family applied to the show because their house was now too small and cramped. The home was rebuilt and was on an episode that aired in 2005. Since then, the four children have moved out and allege that the family who took them in made rascist comments (The kids are black)and were overly strict. They have sued the family, along with ABC because ABC re-ran the episode after they knew things had gone bad.

I have no idea how ABC is liable. The parents have defended the suit saying the adopted kids became uncontrollable and thought they were celebrities after the show and would not live by the same rules they expected of their own children.

Reply to Msg #2046
Back to Topics

Message #2047 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
saundrabeach  
5/14/07, 12:09pm (Last Edited: 5/14/07, 12:11pm)
graphic
Larry said: "I have no idea how ABC is liable. The parents have defended the suit saying the adopted kids became uncontrollable and thought they were celebrities after the show and would not live by the same rules they expected of their own children"

Well, Rob can explain this better, but my way of understanding is first of all I feel UNFORTUNATELY "any one can sue anyone" for anything. Then you have to have a licensed attorney put on a case that shows your damages and methods needed to mitigate them, meaning $$$$$$$.

My take on the ABC, etc. being named is because THEY are "deep pockets" ergo more money to be had. Many times large companies "settle" to rid themselves of $$$$$$$ to fight many years of useless litigation.

Another remedy is that even after hours and monies spent, the presiding Judge may simply hear opening arguments and decide right then "NO CASE" dismiss. It happens, I have seen it happened to a dear pal of mine!

As far as the "Black" issue claimed, well that is a whole other arena.

Reply to Msg #2047
Back to Topics

Message #2048 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach
Larry Levy  
5/14/07, 2:00pm
graphic
Yep, deep pockets.

They are also suing the builder, which boggles my mind because he did the job at a huge loss.

It really sounds like this is a case of the kids not wanting to live by the house rules of the family that took them in. Hopeflly, the defendants will file a motion to dismiss.

Reply to Msg #2048
Back to Topics

Message #2049 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
saundrabeach  
5/14/07, 9:05pm
graphic
>Yep, deep pockets.
>
>They are also suing the builder, which boggles my mind because
>he did the job at a huge loss.
>
>It really sounds like this is a case of the kids not wanting
>to live by the house rules of the family that took them in.
>Hopeflly, the defendants will file a motion to dismiss.

Try Summary Judgment first if lucky!

Reply to Msg #2049
Back to Topics

Message #2050 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach
Larry Levy  
5/15/07, 8:20am
graphic
>Try Summary Judgment first if lucky!

Even better!

Reply to Msg #2050
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter