RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest18605 (3.92.92.168)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Politics, Government & Law : Reading "Court Rules Against 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' Case " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #2079 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
saundrabeach  
Court Rules Against 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' Case
6/26/07, 1:04am (Last Edited: 6/26/07, 1:06am)
graphic

Court Rules Against 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' Case
By MARK SHERMAN

WASHINGTON (June 25) - The Supreme Court tightened limits on student speech Monday, ruling against a high school student and his 14-foot-long "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" banner.

Limits to Free Speech

Schools may prohibit student expression that can be interpreted as advocating drug use, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court in a 5-4 ruling.

Joseph Frederick unfurled his homemade sign on a winter morning in 2002, as the Olympic torch made its way through Juneau, Alaska, en route to the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.

Frederick said the banner was a nonsensical message that he first saw on a snowboard. He intended the banner to proclaim his right to say anything at all.

His principal, Deborah Morse, said the phrase was a pro-drug message that had no place at a school-sanctioned event. Frederick denied that he was advocating for drug use.

"The message on Frederick's banner is cryptic," Roberts said. "But Principal Morse thought the banner would be interpreted by those viewing it as promoting illegal drug use, and that interpretation is plainly a reasonable one."

Morse suspended the student, prompting a federal civil rights lawsuit .

Students in public schools don't have the same rights as adults, but neither do they leave their constitutional protections at the schoolhouse gate, as the court said in a landmark speech-rights ruling from Vietnam era.

The court has limited what students can do in subsequent cases, saying they may not be disruptive or lewd or interfere with a school's basic educational mission.

--------------------------------------------------------
TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #2079
Back to Topics

Message #2080 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach
Rob Reed  
Re: Court Rules Against 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' Case
6/27/07, 2:01pm
graphic
It bothers me how I am becoming more conservative in my older years. Ten years ago (even were I Christian then), I would be completely against this ruling...

BUT, now, this kid was being an idiot, doing something to draw attention to himself. Were it merely something that occurred near a school, outside of standard school hours, I would say this ruling is wrong.

However, the school was let out early to view this torch relay. This was, for all intents and purposes, a school sponsored event, and in my view, the school was absolutely right in disciplining the student.

Good ruling.

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #2080
Back to Topics

Message #2082 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Thomas Canty
6/28/07, 1:55am
>It bothers me how I am becoming more conservative in my older
>years. Ten years ago (even were I Christian then), I would be
>completely against this ruling...
>
>BUT, now, this kid was being an idiot, doing something to draw
>attention to himself. Were it merely something that occurred
>near a school, outside of standard school hours, I would say
>this ruling is wrong.
>
>However, the school was let out early to view this torch
>relay. This was, for all intents and purposes, a school
>sponsored event, and in my view, the school was absolutely
>right in disciplining the student.
>
>Good ruling.

You're becoming an old codger way too soon.

Yes, the kid was being an idiot. But no... I don't think that was a good ruling at all. He has a right to be an idiot, if he wants to.

http://www.ldphotography.net/

Reply to Msg #2082
Back to Topics

Message #2083 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
saundrabeach  
6/28/07, 2:47am
graphic
Would you feel the same if there was a picture of your brother in this event?

Now conservative? Must be heredity... Sad to hear.

I may now like it, but They exercising what approaching little freedoms we have left.

Better to be illegal and demand the "right of peaceable assembly" hummmm.

Perhaps the venue needed to be rethought, but I hate TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT interference.

P.S. How do we know Jesus wouldn't enjoy the thought or humm the smoke He was a free thinking liberal encoraging folks to "Eat his body and Drink his Blood" Maybe his mom thought he was smokin a bowl...No disrespect just an imaginative thought in my visual mind.

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #2083
Back to Topics

Message #2084 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
saundrabeach  
6/28/07, 2:48am
graphic
Lon, I hate to admit it, but I AGREE with you here. Ditto.

Reply to Msg #2084
Back to Topics

Message #2092 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach and Thomas
Rob Reed  
6/29/07, 10:56am
graphic
>Would you feel the same if there was a picture of your brother
>in this event?

Absolutely. If he were that stupid to do something essentially sponsored by his school where he knew the principal etc. were going to be present, he (or anyone else) should be disciplined.

Again, like I said, if this was outside of school hours and not formally "sanctioned," if you will, by the school (i.e., letting them out early UNDER supervision), then this is a bad ruling.

>I may now like it, but They exercising what approaching little
>freedoms we have left.

If this was me holding the sign, there would be nothing the school could do about it. My freedoms to hold up a sign such as this are intact. But, here, we are talking about a student of the school. Are we to allow students to run amok and hold up signs referring to illegal activity during school-sponsored events under the guise of free speech?

What if this sign were a t-shirt worn on school grounds? How about a t-shirt with a marijuana leaf on it?

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #2092
Back to Topics

Message #2093 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
saundrabeach  
6/29/07, 11:48am (Last Edited: 6/29/07, 11:59am)
graphic
If this was me holding the sign, there would be nothing the school could do about it. My freedoms to hold up a sign such as this are intact. But, here, we are talking about a student of the school. Are we to allow students to run amok and hold up signs referring to illegal activity during school-sponsored events under the guise of free speech?

Cannot argue or diagree with this point!

Ok, I didn't put the proper thought about this age group. You are correct.

Basically Jesus will have to wait until these younguns are out of school.

P.S. Have seen those particulat tee shirts. The students most likely are told to go home and change. Saw them on your brother, but not during school years at school. lol

Now, what if these same scenario exited with one of the big Chinese "Bong" things I have seen on some old movie titles? Would they pull it off? The studenys would know really what they were saying, but the might "Beat" no pun intended the system here. Thought provacative n'est pas?

Ah to be young and so involved.

Reply to Msg #2093
Back to Topics

Message #2095 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Thomas Canty
6/30/07, 2:16am
>If this was me holding the sign, there would be nothing the
>school could do about it. My freedoms to hold up a sign such
>as this are intact. But, here, we are talking about a student
>of the school. Are we to allow students to run amok and hold
>up signs referring to illegal activity during school-sponsored
>events under the guise of free speech?

I was a bit confused about why the school was involved in the story. It said he was displaying his sign on the Olympic torch's route. That and the picture both made me think this was something he did off school property. In the picture it looks like they're standing on a street in front of a private residence. Even if that was a school sponsored event, I wouldn't think the school should have the right to censor something off campus. If this was on school property, then I suppose the ruling makes more sense.

>What if this sign were a t-shirt worn on school grounds? How
>about a t-shirt with a marijuana leaf on it?

Actually, I remember seeing shirts just like that when I was in high school. Of course, the world was a much different place 26 years ago.

http://www.ldphotography.net/

Reply to Msg #2095
Back to Topics

Message #2101 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
saundrabeach  
7/2/07, 9:57am
graphic
Amen Lon!

Reply to Msg #2101
Back to Topics

Message #2107 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Rob Reed  
7/3/07, 10:38am
graphic
>Actually, I remember seeing shirts just like that when I was
>in high school. Of course, the world was a much different
>place 26 years ago.

Me, too (and you're not kidding). The reality is that these things were "allowed" because the teachers and administrative staff thought that they were just pictures of "plants."

They caught on relatively quick, though.

Reply to Msg #2107
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter