RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest5739 (35.175.174.157)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Politics, Government & Law : Reading "America is a wondrous place. " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #2110 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Reed  
America is a wondrous place.
7/5/07, 1:02am (Last Edited: 7/5/07, 1:22am)
graphic
I have lived here since 1965.
The u.s.a is but a microcosm of the entire world, if one hates this country, one must hate themselves or their very origin.

Americans are British, African, Russian, Chinese, French, spanish, Phillipino,Arab, Indian, Japanese, even German, etc. etc.

They are also, Hopi, Cherokee, Sioux, Crow, Blackfoot, Chumash, Alonquin, Seminole, etc., etc.

Americans are Christian, Jew, Moslem,Hindu, Animist, Buddhists, etc., etc.

The founders of this country, British, mostly one and all, were very brave men, who, again'st incredible odds, carved out the framework which would lead to a nation unlike any other.

It's framers, Washington, Jefferson, Hancock, Adams, Franklin etc. were guided by Philosophers from the country they left behind, notably Locke, Paine, etc., one could say that progression started at a field (close to present day London), known as Runnymede, 1215, (Magna Carta.

I went to an outdoor "Moody blues" concert this week, and "breathed the warm, balmy, outdoor, california air",Outdoor summer baseball, even the "Humboldt Crabs" connote a feeling of euphoria., "what a place."

However I do believe that the inspiration of the "Colonial uprising" lead to Britain changing it's ways,( even though it had had an elected Parliament and Civil Govt. for 200 years prior), ----(German George,) got "too big for his boots"),--- this lead to a more enlightened Britain, ahead of the U.S. and in the Victorian era, becoming the preeminent world power.

With the leadership of Wilberforce, Britain abolished Slavery , long before the U.S.

Had a social reformation, i.e. unions, universal health care, Elderly pensions, WOMENS right to vote, long before the U.S.

As I said, I arrived here in 1965, I served in the U.S. Army, Vietnam, Pleiku, (1967/68)--( a very nasty place).

Ironically, and I feel sadly, America is "butchered, in word and deed", around the World.

It was not until 1964, that America guaranteed equal rights to all its citizens.
It was not until 1965 that America enacted a "voting rights act" enabling ALL to vote., a huge "stain " on it's claim to have been "always free".

I personify the word "lucky", since I arrived here, America has become what it always claimed to be., the best place to live on Planet Earth.

P.S. my Sons heritage is the best also (in my opinion), U.S. /British.

Reply to Msg #2110
Back to Topics

Message #2111 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
Larry Levy  
Re: America is a wondrous place.
7/5/07, 8:42am
graphic
Well said!

I hope you had a great 4th!

--------------------------------------------------------
" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #2111
Back to Topics

Message #2112 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Robert Reed  
7/5/07, 4:44pm
graphic
Thank you Larry, and same to you.

I believe there were even more fireworks displays than usual, here in dana Point.
It started at nine from the front of the house, (Dana point harbour), then at 9.15 erupted over the ritz carlton, and Laguna., viewed from the back.
At 10 pm it started up again, in other words it was like a"quadrophonic firework show", the only "drawback", was a strong smell of gunpowder for a while.

Reply to Msg #2112
Back to Topics

Message #2114 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
Larry Levy  
7/6/07, 8:36am
graphic
That sounds great!!!

We had a similar 4 of July experience. We came down here to Pepperdine and watched the firworks that the Malibu Colony and Paradise Cove were putting on.

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #2114
Back to Topics

Message #2115 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
Mike Reed  
7/7/07, 2:06pm
graphic
Well I agree that this is a great country filled with people who represent all corners of the globe.

But like you said, it wasn't until the 60's that the US started to really become what it said it had been all along, a free country to all that inhabit it.

It took almost 200 years after its founding to give every citizen the right to vote, and the right to equal justice from the law.

If it took them this long to start to live up to its own ideals, imagine where we could be as a country today if all this romanticism was initiated from the begining.

The country thrives on people arguing because of their different opinions. Always has, and still does today. Its fine to have a different opinion. Its another thing to not even listen to the other side and automnatically assume you are right.

We have a president that tells his right wing christian voters that he supports a CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT to ensure that what he believes is what everyone else believes. (Mariage should be only between a man and a woman.)

He is telling his christian followers as well as all the non-christians in this country and even chritian gays that don;t view (PAULS) words to be the truth behind the religion that gays don;t have the same rights as straight people. Its as simple as that.

But he is a politician. He knows that he could never get 2/3 of the house, 2/3 of the senate, and 3/4 of the states to agree to this amendment. But he says it to cause controversy, to show the religious right that he stands with "GOD" and to get more suporters. This isn't an attitude to benefit the US, this is a attitude to turn us towards the past and keep us fighting among ourselves rather than educate and try to understand the differences among us.

Homosexuals are a part of our history. Yes the Brits when they came to the land we now call the US, followed British and French philosophy. But we forget the Greek philosophy that a lot of our ideals are based on. Democracy for example (The Iroquois Indians had a bit of help in that as well, Thomas Jefferson studied their form of democracy before taking part in drafting our constitution)

Lets get back to the Greeks. Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, and most other Greek intellectuals of the time all had 14 year old BOY yep BOY love slaves. Just read Plato's Symposium. It was considered ok for the boy to love his older sex lover, but not ok for the man to be in love with the 14 yo boy. This was acceptable then, it was giving into ones desires. Not all Greek philosophers had boy toys, because they weren't into it, and even some of the ones that did, they didn't think themselves homosexuals, they thought of themselves as being normal.

Homosexuals have always been around, and they will always be around. The US has become a very prude nation on its surface. Most of us have a great time in the bedroom, but it seems that our politicians want to tell us what we can and can't do in it.
I know us humans like to separate ourselves from the animals when ever it suits us, but believe it or not, we are animals. And guess what, animals commit homosexual acts across the board. But they don't allow gay marriage u say. Well thats because they have no form of government like we do. They just have a lot of hierarchy and dominance. Hmm we kinda have that too, but enforced under government control. Not all government control is bad, but change is inevitable. A government that is afraid of change becomes tyrannical.

I'm very glad to live the lifestyle I do. I enjoy the love of a woman too much to be a homosexual. But that doesn't mean I can't stand up for them. I'm not black, native American, Mexican, Chinese, Arab, or Persian. But I reserve the right to stand for the fair treatment and equal rights of all people. Whether US citizen or Iraqi, we are all human and we all share this world that we are lucky enough to be on. Thousands of sperm and trillions of possibilities through genetics a life is created. You can believe its god, its part of a design with nothing to do with a god, or you can believe that it was just plain luck. No matter where u sit on the fence you should realize that we are all lucky to be here and that we should protect and respect our neighbor rather than push them away and try to control their lives.

We live in this great country, but in constant fear. We are afraid of what we don't know. And guess what, everywhere we look we don't understand. We live among hundreds of different cultures, and yet we aspire to take part in this American culture that is this invisible ideal of everyone getting along and being AMERICANS. BUt what is an American. Is it Native American, maybe French American (They inhabited and colonized most of the middle of our country). British American? How about Spanish American or even Mexican American (both were here well before the political lines of early and present United States were drawn.

We are a nation of differences. I believe that we can lead the future world into peace if we start teaching in our schools more about our differences. Start requiring more than one language early in school. (Elementary) Start teaching about different cultures and how its ok people do things differently. Also give the OK to try new things. We need to stop being so afraid of the unknown, we need to make the unknown known, and change our culture from being afraid of the unknown to being intrigued.

This is the only solution to our fighting and constant bickering among each other and other countries.

This is a great country, but it is not great by its people, its great by its ideals. Lets make those ideals a reality.

Reply to Msg #2115
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Mike Reed 's Blog

Message #2116 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Mike Reed
Robert Reed  
7/7/07, 3:37pm (Last Edited: 7/7/07, 3:40pm)
graphic
Michael, I am so "Flippin" proud of you, your writing prowess improves every time i read what you have to say,just in time for law school, in the not too distant future we will be reading of legal precedent, with "Michael Reeds stamp on it.

as your #1 "rooter, always,----- "told you so".

Your writing is becoming more and more reasoned, and less "in your face".

You are right in that Americas claim of freedom and equality was sorely lacking prior to the 60s, it's boast of "land of the free", had a very "hollow echo", and not a reality for many of it's oldest,(I refer to time here,)citizens.,and simply WAS not true, if freedom and equality is denied to ANY of us, we ALL suffer.

The phrase "love it or leave it", so misused in the 60s made me "cringe" then , it still does.

I agree that it is beneficial to speak more than one language, in some European countries people often speak more than two languages., Americans, in particular, are often amazed, that they can converse with a shopkeeper in Italy,Spain, Germany, etc., , in English.,even though, in most cases, they have restricted themselves to learning one.

However, all of these nations retain their national language, even though emigration and a movement of peoples worldwide has become endemic.
You will not find political ballots in more than one language, nor drivers test forms in three or four.

All nations need a national identity, without same, only leads to internal strife, the "Quebec syndrome" and "Balkanisation".

Reply to Msg #2116
Back to Topics

Message #2117 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Mike Reed
Robert Reed  
7/7/07, 7:09pm (Last Edited: 7/7/07, 9:55pm)
graphic
Yo, Mike, after re-reading your post, I would vote for YOU, when are you running,?-------------- As to your post,(well, leave off the girls and boys, particularly the "boys and boys"), --- It was a great campaign speech, and your English is better than the present incumbent.!!

P.S. not sure what you mean about living in fear, I am not a fearful person, never have been, and I hope I have transferred same to you.
As the U.S's Greatest President, (in my opinion), said ,"You have nothing to fear, but FEAR itself", and that is really true.

Reply to Msg #2117
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter