RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest72542 (54.198.133.40)
Posts: 0
Read Mode: Topics
Status: Guest
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Politics, Government & Law : Reading "California Car Tax Revocation " Thread

Username Password


This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #370 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Rob Reed  
California Car Tax Revocation
1/7/04, 8:51pm (Last Edited: 1/7/04, 8:53pm)
graphic
So, I was sitting here this evening reading a transcript of the Schwarezennegger speech transcript, and I saw his mention of the reduction of the car tax.

As most of you know, I paid the tripling of the car tax in October... so, this prompted the question: how do I request my refund?

A quick look at the dmv web site homepage quickly answered my question. If you have already paid the tripling, you are supposed to receive a refund by mail (without need to make a request) "beginning in early 2004." FYI: I haven't yet received a refund.

If you have not yet paid the tax, and your due date "is on or after January 31, 2004, the fees listed are correct."

The DMV has a calculator for you to calculate the reduction, if necessary:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vlf_cal/vlf_cal.htm

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #370
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Rob Reed's Blog

Rob Reed's Blog


Message #371 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Thomas Canty
Re: California Car Tax Revocation
1/7/04, 8:58pm
Speaking of the devil, I just did my renewal the other day. I got it in the mail, saw it could be done online now, and had it finished in about 5 minutes. The only thing left is to get the tags in the mail. I like that, but I don't understand why they charge a $5 fee for doing it online. I was also surprised that proof of insurance is no longer necessary...

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ldphotography.net/
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #371
Back to Topics


Message #374 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
BBlast
Re: California Car Tax Revocation
1/8/04, 3:54am
graphic
>Speaking of the devil, I just did my renewal the other day. I
>got it in the mail, saw it could be done online now, and had
>it finished in about 5 minutes. The only thing left is to get
>the tags in the mail. I like that, but I don't understand why
>they charge a $5 fee for doing it online. I was also surprised
>that proof of insurance is no longer necessary...
>

I did my wife's registration in December and it was FOUR bucks...did they raise the price?

..Of course now, I have to start over again with another car...sigh

--------------------------------------------------------
"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #374
Back to Topics


Message #376 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BBlast
Thomas Canty
Re: California Car Tax Revocation
1/8/04, 9:58am
>I did my wife's registration in December and it was FOUR
>bucks...did they raise the price?

Apparently they did. My registration bill was $75, but since I did it online I ended up paying $80.

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ldphotography.net/
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #376
Back to Topics


Message #379 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Rob Reed  
Re: California Car Tax Revocation
1/8/04, 12:14pm
graphic
>the tags in the mail. I like that, but I don't understand why
>they charge a $5 fee for doing it online. I was also surprised
>that proof of insurance is no longer necessary...

I'm with you... every other business model I have seen (what immediately comes to mind are online loan applications) on the internet calls for a lower price if you purchase online because there is no need for an employee to intervene.

Seems illogical to me... it should be $5 extra if you have to bother an employee at the DMV in person.

I guess the DMV wants to encourage online folks to come in and brave the line to save a few bucks?

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #379
Back to Topics


Message #382 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Thomas Canty
Re: California Car Tax Revocation
1/8/04, 8:28pm
>I guess the DMV wants to encourage online folks to come in and
>brave the line to save a few bucks?

It's only $5. That ain't enough to get me to stand in that line!

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ldphotography.net/
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #382
Back to Topics


Message #386 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
BBlast
Re: California Car Tax Revocation
1/9/04, 5:00am
graphic
>I'm with you... every other business model I have seen (what
>immediately comes to mind are online loan applications) on the
>internet calls for a lower price if you purchase online
>because there is no need for an employee to intervene.
>
>Seems illogical to me... it should be $5 extra if you have to
>bother an employee at the DMV in person.
>
>I guess the DMV wants to encourage online folks to come in and
>brave the line to save a few bucks?

Sorta invokes the class system doesn't it? I mean..if you can afford to be on the net and afford a computer and afford the extra 5 bucks, then you get a "cut" in line. Doesn't seem right.

--------------------------------------------------------
"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #386
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter