RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Guest24197
User: Guest28741 (3.233.221.149)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Politics, Government & Law : Reading "Why Kerry lost the election in my opinion. " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #843 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Dr. Rub
Why Kerry lost the election in my opinion.
11/3/04, 10:41pm (Last Edited: 11/4/04, 10:03am)
Some of these reasons are obvious I think.

He didn't win any part of the south. I hesitate to bring religion into this, but let's look at it. The election was won by Bush because of the morality issue. This is not to say that Kerry & Democrats aren't moral. And it's not to say that all Republicans are moral. However, there is an overwhelming perception that a lot of liberal people or supporters support idealologies that are considered among most God fearing people to be in the grey at best. For instance, abortion. Most all of the south in general believes in pro life when it comes to the abortion issue. To many people in the religious circle, abortion is like murder. Everyone knows that the south is the "Bible belt". Everyone knows that most Democrats/liberals in general support pro choice. Kerry & the south as a whole can only agree to disagree for the most part.

Another example would be Gay Rights. This is not to say that gay people don't exist in the south, but right or wrong they for the most part are frowned on in our "neck of the woods". I'm not saying that's right, but that's just the way it is as a general rule. Gay marriage is thought of as immoral in the south, especially among the religious ranks. Again, I'm not condoning their judgement, but that's just the way it is. I think that God himself will be the one & only to judge something like that. There is a verse in the Bible that says "Judge not, less ye be judged."

This whole election was based mainly on morality. Iraq, the war, the national debt, jobs, the economy, healthcare, you name it, were all important, but secondary in comparison. There will be many that argue, " Well, where's the separation of church & state?" I can't answer that, but many many Americans, for whatever reason felt that the issue of morality was & is very very important. Kerry needed to somehow indentify with the south better & he failed to do so. I'm sure Kerry has morals & probably has faith in God or some sort of religion, but that perception by many wasn't there. Bush has always been very open about his faith in God or a higher being & people in the south, no matter your color or gender consider that very very important, atleast for those of us that believe in God or a higher being & are religious.

Another reason I believe Kerry lost this election although it was closely contested was the fact that the main stream media is so liberal biased & seemed to be pro Kerry. I believe a lot of people/Americans picked up on this & could read between the lines. I think it quiet frankly disgusted & possibly angered a lot of people in America. It wasn't Kerry's fault really! However, maybe Kerry should take his frustrations out on the main stream media. The only news station giving any quality support to Bush was FOX News. What a shock! I think everyone knows that ABC,NBC,CBS, & CNN lean towards the liberal side of things.

Finally, although Kerry got the better of Bush in the debates overall, he should have never criticized Cheney's daughter of being a lesbian. Kerry might not have meant any harm by his remarks & he did apologize for his remarks regarding that subject, but the damage had already been done & I think many Americans thought that was a bit too much of a low blow & in appropriate. Criticizing & attacking Bush is one thing, but don't bring the opponent's family members into the war of words or mud slinging. I don't recall Bush saying anything directly about Kerry or Edward's family members, especially on national TV in front of millions of people.

Kerry was a worthy opponent & put up a great fight. He believed in his views of a better America, which is to be respected & commended, for he believed his ideas & views were right. He faught with conviction as did Bush. They both believed they knew what was right for America which is to be respected & commended for both candidates. In the end, they could only agree to disagree. I think they both have great views & visions for our country, but I also believe that Bush is still the right man for the job overall. I would have been behind either one of them no matter who won, & I say that as a proud American citizen.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #843
Back to Topics

Message #851 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Rob Reed  
Re: Why Kerry lost the election in my opinion.
11/4/04, 11:05am
graphic
Great post, Dr. Rub... I agree with you on a few points... but mostly, I would focus on the Gay Issue (10 states were voting on the issue) and Osama Bin Laden's video last week.

I think the Gay Issue brought in a ton of voters who would not, in good conscience, vote for someone who would support Roe v. Wade, for one.

And, Osama brought in a ton of voters who want to thumb their noses at his criticisms of Bush. As I said in an earlier post, even I was pushed a bit to vote for Bush, on principal.

>He didn't win any part of the south. I hesitate to bring
>religion into this, but let's look at it. The election was won
>by Bush because of the morality issue. This is not to say that
>Kerry & Democrats aren't moral. And it's not to say that all

The south has shown that it will dictate a presidency. The only two Democrat Presidents in my lifetime were from Georgia and Arkansas. Says it all.

>Another reason I believe Kerry lost this election although it
>was closely contested was the fact that the main stream media
>is so liberal biased & seemed to be pro Kerry. I believe a lot

I agree that MAINSTREAM media is very liberal, and I also agree that it affected the election... it is interesting (at least in L.A.) how fringe media (i.e., radio) is very CONSERVATIVE.

>Finally, although Kerry got the better of Bush in the debates
>overall, he should have never criticized Cheney's daughter of
>being a lesbian. Kerry might not have meant any harm by his

I had no problem with this. I would have emphasized it to show American voters that it is possible to embrace differering ideologies. In essence, Kerry is telling the conservative voter: "You already do, by having elected a Vice President with a gay daughter."

>Americans thought that was a bit too much of a low blow & in
>appropriate. Criticizing & attacking Bush is one thing, but

It is a low blow if Cheney's daughter was not, in fact, gay. She is. How can we view this statement as the same as if he called Cheney's daughter a bitch? Now, THAT is a low blow.

>I would have been behind either one of them no matter who won

I'm trying. It is better to hope for good things, than expect bad things...

But, unfortunately, I see the next four years as continued infringement on our constitutional rights (Patriot Act and abortion)... and utter turmoil in our economy.

>I say that as a proud American citizen.

This goes without saying. This is the greatest nation on earth.

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #851
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Rob Reed's Blog

Message #853 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
vicki  
11/4/04, 4:56pm
graphic
>>Americans thought that was a bit too much of a low blow & in
>>appropriate. Criticizing & attacking Bush is one thing, but
>
>It is a low blow if Cheney's daughter was not, in fact, gay.
>She is. How can we view this statement as the same as if he
>called Cheney's daughter a bitch? Now, THAT is a low blow.
>
Precisely. I don't know how Bush can look his own vice president in the eye after all the gay-bashing he's done. Any other father would have slugged him.

>But, unfortunately, I see the next four years as continued
>infringement on our constitutional rights (Patriot Act and
>abortion)... and utter turmoil in our economy.
>
I agree the economy is in a bad way, and there is no end in sight. My husband is making 2/3 what he made in 2000. In 2001, I paid over $40,000 in federal taxes alone, and now I am paying almost $30.00 to fill up my "economy" car so I can drive to work in bumper to bumper traffic.

And now he wants us all to pay a flat rate in taxes???

>>I say that as a proud American citizen.
>
>This goes without saying. This is the greatest nation on
>earth.

Absolutely. We couldn't bitch like this anywhere else.

Do or do not. There is no try.
---Yoda

Reply to Msg #853
Back to Topics

Message #855 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Dr. Rub
11/4/04, 9:24pm
Thanks for your responses Rob & Vicki. I respect your views & opinions. I may or may not agree & I'm sure both of you would echo the same about me. That's what makes our country great though! Freedom of speech on any topic or matter. Our views are obviously different, but even though we may or may not agree with one another, I'm sure we respect each other's heart felt opinions & idealologies. I'm happy to be on such a wonderful message board!

"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #855
Back to Topics

Message #859 of 2187  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Rob Reed  
11/5/04, 8:10am (Last Edited: 11/5/04, 8:11am)
graphic
>Thanks for your responses Rob & Vicki. I respect your views &
>opinions. I may or may not agree & I'm sure both of you would
>echo the same about me. That's what makes our country great
>though! Freedom of speech on any topic or matter. Our views
>are obviously different, but even though we may or may not
>agree with one another, I'm sure we respect each other's heart
>felt opinions & idealologies. I'm happy to be on such a
>wonderful message board!

When it comes to politics, I try and be a realist and not a tin-foil hat wearing nut like Michael Moore or Rush Limbaugh.

The ultimate bottom line is that our system is a monster that can be manipulated by corporations on both the Democrat and Republican sides.

I honestly do not feel in my heart that Bush's (or any other Republican's) views/actions are PURPOSEFULLY to destroy our country. He *MUST* be good intentioned, as he is a human being and an American... he *MUST* be wishing, in his own heart, to do the best he can for our country.

I just disagree with his manner of doing that.

I don't think that the world will end because he won.

The Republican party just may be coming to an end at the end of four years, but I digress [wink, wink].

By the way, what makes this a good message board is that we're not all making posts like: "I agree with that!" If we can't debate (in a lighthearted, fun way), it would be kinda boring.

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #859
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter