RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest20073
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Photography and Video : Reading "Creatures in the trees " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #3102 of 3810  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
zhakee  
Creatures in the trees
1/31/07, 2:50pm (Last Edited: 2/1/07, 4:14pm)
graphic

This tree top is one of the coolest animal shapes I've encountered while out walking in the woods! Looks like one of those Dr. Seuss characters to me. We were on top of a knoll that got a lot of wind, and when I glanced up, I saw this wolflike tree top creature.

--------------------------------------------------------
Living close to nature.
http://sierra-nevada-ramblings.blogspot.com/

Reply to Msg #3102
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

zhakee 's Blog

Message #3103 of 3810  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
zhakee
saundrabeach  
Re: Creatures in the trees
1/31/07, 4:10pm
graphic
I guess we are looking at a tree that has broken. What do you see that I don't?

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #3103
Back to Topics

Message #3104 of 3810  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach
zhakee  
1/31/07, 5:16pm
graphic
The tree top is the creature: Long snout, nose pointing skyward. Branches that twist are arm like...

From the ground, this tree top looked like a creature. Sorry you don't see it.

Living close to nature.

Reply to Msg #3104
Back to Topics

Message #3106 of 3810  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
zhakee
Robert Jones  
1/31/07, 11:20pm
This photo reminds me of a Bev Doolittle painting. Thomas Canty posted a pic a while back that reminded me of some of Bev's work too. Zhakee, if you are not familiar with Bev Doolittle I would recommend either looking her work up online or at a checking it out at a book store. I think you could really relate to her art if you haven't discovered it already.

Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #3106
Back to Topics

Message #3107 of 3810  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
zhakee
saundrabeach  
2/1/07, 4:05am
graphic

Funny, I was actually thinking you were referring to an animal that was camouflaged on the broken tree.

I was glad to look up Bev Doolittle (No relation to Dr. Doolittle) as I had never heard about her before. Her art is very interesting.

The Art of Bev Doolittle encompasses the whimsical, the mystical and the spiritual, and her own unique camouflage concepts. These themes are interwoven within the complete body of her work and each reveals a different aspect of the artist herself. Her style is characterized by meticulous realism, unsparing attention to detail and an extraordinary talent for drawing. Many of her works are narrative, telling a story or capturing a moment in the world of dreams or the realm of the spirit. Her storytelling captures the imagination, compelling the viewer to bring his own understanding to the work. "Bev literally could draw as soon as she picked up a pencil," says her mother. "Even before she went to school, she had started drawing horses and people." Bev won her first award at age twelve in an art contest sponsored by the San Gabrial Historical Society and her first one-artist show was held when she was fourteen. Her high school art teacher suggested that she apply for the Saturday Scholarship at the Los Angeles Art Center College of Design; she won the scholarship and began serious art study even before graduating from high school. Later, she was accepted as a student at the Art Center.

Much of Bev's subject matter is provided by the out-of-doors. "I love nature," she says, "I try to look beyond the obvious and create unique, meaningful paintings depicting our Western wilderness and it's inhabitants."

Bev Doolittle's art, especially her camouflage work, demands months of development, research of terrain and animal sketching. After developing the concept, she creates "thumbnail" sketches, up to as many as fifty, where she reworks the image until she has achieved her idea.
Next, she works out all the questions of detail in a larger comprehensive pencil drawing. A color study follows, enabling her to determine the colors that add most to the composition. Finally, she decides the size for the original and begins to paint. Her technique is extremely tight and detailed and she works in a very demanding medium—transparent watercolor; it takes long weeks of intensive work to complete an original

Of her work Bev says, "I start with a concept and attempt to convey it though strong design coupled with detailed realism. I want people to think when they look at my paintings."

They do. Bev Doolittle's art compels our involvement. Through the magic of her vision, she vision, she forges an interaction between us and the art, rewarding our attention with the excitement of discovery.

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #3107
Back to Topics

Message #3108 of 3810  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
saundrabeach  
2/1/07, 4:09am (Last Edited: 2/1/07, 4:09am)
graphic
You are one of the reasons I love to read this board. I learn new things from your vast knowledge of the outdoors. Thank you for introducing me to the art of Bev Doolittle.

Reply to Msg #3108
Back to Topics

Message #3109 of 3810  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
zhakee  
2/1/07, 4:22pm
graphic
I went and checked out some of her pics. Nice nature paintings! Pricey, but beautiful.

I like it when I find interesting "creatures" in the snags and stumps. It's even better when I see a live animal, but the tree "creatures" tend to stick around for years to come.

Living close to nature.

Reply to Msg #3109
Back to Topics

Message #3110 of 3810  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
saundrabeach
Robert Jones  
2/1/07, 10:07pm
Thanks Ms Saundra,

I discovered Bev Doolittle when I was a teen. The first painting that captured me was The Forest Has Eyes....this has always been one of my favorites. It depicts a man on horseback crossing a river. He has a pack horse or two and he is looking over his shoulder as if he feels he is being watched. As the viewer is looking at this the viewer becomes aware of multiple indian faces that are part of the woods and the stream and the painting. All are watching as the rider crosses the stream.

Probably my favorite is a series of three titled Two More Indian Horses This set of three is a sequel to one painting known as Two Indian Horses. In the first painting of Two More Indian Horses you see an aspen tree with an old fashion razor and a small pocket mirror hanging from the tree. In the reflection of the mirror you can see a Calvary soldier walking along a picket line of horses. Past the mirror you see two indians creeping through the snowy woods. The second painting shows the indians hiding behind the very aspen that the mirror is on and the soldier is a little farther away down the picket line...still his back is to the indians....The third painting shows the soldier still farther away and the two sneaky indians leading two of the calvary horses away from the picket line...successful in their stealthy liberation/pilfer of the Calvary horses.

I have one of her pieces called Wilderness! Wilderness? (Note the Exclamation point and the question mark) This piece is affordable as it is poster that goes for around $50. The painting has the word Wilderness! embossed across the top...the picture shows a lake..fed by a mountain waterfall in the distance with trees on the near shore trees and limbs on the opposite shore. Above the lake an eagle soars while three bears peruse the near shore...and on the distant shore a pack of wolves approach the water for a drink....as you contemplate the scene you notice a flaw in the picture....The eagle soaring in the sky is not reflected in the lake....and wait a minute...the bears...they are not in the reflection either...there are three rocks in the forest where the bears were...you check and the bears are still on the shore but definately not in the reflection...and then you notice the wolves...they are not reflected either...a log snag replaces them in the reflection with the end of the log tattered to resemble the ears of the alpha wolf in the non reflective portion of the painting.....Then to the astute observer you notice embossed reflective of the Wilderness! across the top is the word Wilderness? but instead of the exclamation point above you notice a question mark in the reflective.

The present tense in the painting is represented by the animals and the exclamation point tends to celebrate or at least show exhileration for them. The reflection represents the future with man's encroachment on the habitat and the animals have disappeared from picture. The message is powerful and hits home for me...You might check that one out.

Bev has several books for sale that celebrate some of her work and they are not overly pricey...well worth it if you love her work the way I do.

Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #3110
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #3134 of 3810  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
saundrabeach  
2/3/07, 3:21pm
graphic
I am interested in seeing more of Bev's work in person. Next time I am in a bookstore I will definitely look for her work.

You are so passionate about so many things Robert. What a great use of your time on earth. You have my respect.

Reply to Msg #3134
Back to Topics

Message #3135 of 3810  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
zhakee
saundrabeach  
2/3/07, 3:26pm
graphic
I wonder if you did what my little friends and I did when I was a little girl... We would like on our backs on the grass and make animals out of the clouds. It was great fun, and we saw so many different ones.

The days seemed much longer then, and I miss those innocent times filled with imagination and no new technology and gadgets.

Reply to Msg #3135
Back to Topics

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #3152 of 3810  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
zhakee
Carol  
2/4/07, 3:13pm
graphic
To me it looks like Gumby, lol

Great photo, I love old gnarled trees

The mountains are calling and I must go. ~ John Muir ~ www.tarol.com

Reply to Msg #3152
Back to Topics

Message #3154 of 3810  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Carol
saundrabeach  
2/4/07, 4:05pm
graphic
Carol lol I do see Gumby! Funny.

Reply to Msg #3154
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter