Some thoughts on the ABC ďexposeĒ of American IdolÖÖ
I didnít see the report as a whole being harmful to Idol. Corey Clark isnít Herbert Stumpel. There was no evidence whatsoever of wrongdoing by the show or its producers.
So if anything, it was an indictment of Paula Abdul. Though ABC wouldnít have gotten the same kind of hype built up for a report on Paula Abdul as it would on a report on American Idol.
Even at that, I canít say Corey Clarkís accusations and evidence seemed rock solid. Iím not even sure it will be enough to keep Abdul from being a part of the final three weeks, though Iíll be amazed if sheís back next season.
- Judging by the evidence presented in the story, I do believe that Abdul likely gave preferential treatment to Corey Clark. The phone number, prescription bottle are certainly decent evidence ó and the most damaging evidence had to be the phone records. You just donít talk for 2 and a half hours on the phone discussing song selection and dance moves.
- That said, I was not convinced beyond a doubt that Clark and Abdul engaged in a sexual relationship. There was no evidence offered other that comments made by Clark that had no collaboration. The phone messages, which turned out to be recent, didnít indicate anything about a sexual relationship and showed not much more than a celebrity trying to shut out the tabloids.
- Context needs to be applied here when determining if Abdulís comments on the show improperly steered voters his way. Abdul gives glowing comments to EVERYBODY. In fact, her comments have become irrelevant to most viewers.
- It still reeks a bit of ABC trying to pull the shades on a program on a rival network. Iím not sure what the news value was of devoting an entire hour of a news program to one manís accusations. Plenty of gossip and Enquirer/US Magazine kind of value, but Iím not sure youíre anywhere near going to see anybody ready to award ABC a news Emmy for this.
- The ex-contestants were nothing more than bitter folks who never made it out of auditions and were a waste of airtime. Letís see one person raise their hand if they think any of them would have challenged Ruben or Clay.