RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest72972
Posts: 0
Read Mode: Topics
Status: Guest
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Movies and Theatre : Reading "Movies? What is it?" Thread

Username Password


This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #1006 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Marie Reed  
Movies? What is it?
2/7/08, 9:59pm
graphic
Since Rob and I brought AJ home, we've only seen one movie, the latest Harry Potter. We don't even know what's out now.

Anything good? Any good suggestions? I might be able to convince my parents to babysit on a Saturday night so Rob and I can finally experience going into a nice, big, dark theater called the "movies" again.

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1006
Back to Topics


Message #1007 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Marie Reed
Larry Levy  
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/8/08, 8:12am (Last Edited: 2/8/08, 8:13am)
graphic
>Since Rob and I brought AJ home, we've only seen one movie,
>the latest Harry Potter. We don't even know what's out now.
>
>
>Anything good? Any good suggestions? I might be able to
>convince my parents to babysit on a Saturday night so Rob and
>I can finally experience going into a nice, big, dark theater
>called the "movies" again.

Hi, Marie,

I haven't been to a movie in a long while now either. The last film we saw was Charlie Wilson's War, which was pretty good.

I'd like to see There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men. I'd probably have to see those by myself as Janice doesn't like films that can be violent. I don;t really like that either, especially if the graphic nature of the violence is not needed to tell the story.

--------------------------------------------------------
" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1007
Back to Topics


Message #1008 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Marie Reed  
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/18/08, 9:28pm
graphic
I'm happy to know that we're not alone.

We rarely watch TV as well. By the time AJ is down for bed, we're pooped! The only TV shows we're recording on TiVo are American Idol and Big Brother.

Rob and I will have to pick a date so we can go out to a movie to refresh our memory of what it's like to be in a dark theater.

There was a suggestion that my father-in-law, Bob, gave tonight. "The Bucket List"???? He said that it's with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. Good cast! He said that it's a must see.

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1008
Back to Topics


Message #1009 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Marie Reed
Larry Levy  
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/19/08, 8:07am
graphic
>I'm happy to know that we're not alone.
>
>We rarely watch TV as well. By the time AJ is down for bed,
>we're pooped! The only TV shows we're recording on TiVo are
>American Idol and Big Brother.
>
>Rob and I will have to pick a date so we can go out to a movie
>to refresh our memory of what it's like to be in a dark
>theater.
>
>There was a suggestion that my father-in-law, Bob, gave
>tonight. "The Bucket List"???? He said that it's with Morgan
>Freeman and Jack Nicholson. Good cast! He said that it's a
>must see.
>
>

The Bucket List is supposed to be a good film, from what I have heard. I love Morgan Freeman.

--------------------------------------------------------
" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1009
Back to Topics


Message #1010 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Marie Reed
Robert Jones  
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/19/08, 9:58pm
I think the last movie I got out and watched was "300". I have been thinking about going but other activities always seem to intervene. I don't even know what is out either.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1010
Back to Topics


Message #1011 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
drrubb
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/20/08, 6:00am (Last Edited: 2/20/08, 6:04am)
Larry, "No Country For Old Men" was pretty darn good. That is the last movie I actually have seen at the theater. Very good movie with a very strange ending. It definately leaves you thinking a bit. It is pretty violent though. I would not suggest this movie for people who do not like to watch violence, but if you can see through the violence, it is very entertaining & will keep you on the edge of your seat. It's not a movie you take the kids to though. Despite the strange ending, I give it an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1011
Back to Topics


Message #1012 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
drrubb
Larry Levy  
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/20/08, 8:23am
graphic
>Larry, "No Country For Old Men" was pretty darn good. That is
>the last movie I actually have seen at the theater. Very good
>movie with a very strange ending. It definately leaves you
>thinking a bit. It is pretty violent though. I would not
>suggest this movie for people who do not like to watch
>violence, but if you can see through the violence, it is very
>entertaining & will keep you on the edge of your seat. It's
>not a movie you take the kids to though. Despite the strange
>ending, I give it an 8 or 9 out of 10.

I may wait for it to come out on DVD. I can handle movie violence better when its not 20 feet tall

I'm a big Javier Bardem fan. His one scene in Collateral was amazing.

--------------------------------------------------------
" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1012
Back to Topics


Message #1013 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Marie Reed  
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/21/08, 10:07pm
graphic
>I may wait for it to come out on DVD.

That seems to be our thing now... borrowing DVD movies from Blockbuster. And even when we watch in the comfort of our own home, it takes us days to watch a whole movie.

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1013
Back to Topics


Message #1014 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Marie Reed
Thomas Canty
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/22/08, 7:56am
>And even when we watch in the comfort of our own
>home, it takes us days to watch a whole movie.

I'm like that sometimes, too.

Lately, I've been renting TV series instead of movies. I have my Netflix queue filled with Welcome Back Kotter, That 70's Show and Ghost Whisperer, right now.

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ldphotography.net/
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1014
Back to Topics


Message #1015 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Marie Reed
Larry Levy  
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/22/08, 8:22am
graphic
>>I may wait for it to come out on DVD.
>
>That seems to be our thing now... borrowing DVD movies from
>Blockbuster. And even when we watch in the comfort of our own
>home, it takes us days to watch a whole movie.

Us too. Janice likes getting out, but the thought of $11.00 per movie ticket is often a deterrent.

--------------------------------------------------------
" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1015
Back to Topics


Message #1016 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Larry Levy  
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/22/08, 8:23am
graphic
>>And even when we watch in the comfort of our own
>>home, it takes us days to watch a whole movie.
>
>I'm like that sometimes, too.
>
>Lately, I've been renting TV series instead of movies. I have
>my Netflix queue filled with Welcome Back Kotter, That 70's
>Show and Ghost Whisperer, right now.

Lon,

I've heard that both Netflix and Blockbuster are switching to Blue Ray. Is that true? Does that mean we'll have to get a blue ray DVD player soon?

--------------------------------------------------------
" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1016
Back to Topics


Message #1017 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Thomas Canty
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/22/08, 11:12am
>I've heard that both Netflix and Blockbuster are switching to
>Blue Ray. Is that true? Does that mean we'll have to get a
>blue ray DVD player soon?

First I've heard of it. Sounds like an urban legend to me...

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ldphotography.net/
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1017
Back to Topics


Message #1018 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Larry Levy  
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/23/08, 9:53am
graphic
>>I've heard that both Netflix and Blockbuster are switching
>to
>>Blue Ray. Is that true? Does that mean we'll have to get a
>>blue ray DVD player soon?
>
>First I've heard of it. Sounds like an urban legend to me...

I hope you're right. I had heard this was like the Beta/VHS war in the 80's. Basically two incompatible formats.

--------------------------------------------------------
" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1018
Back to Topics


Message #1020 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Rob Reed  
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/27/08, 1:51pm
graphic
>>I've heard that both Netflix and Blockbuster are switching
>to
>>Blue Ray. Is that true? Does that mean we'll have to get a
>>blue ray DVD player soon?
>
>First I've heard of it. Sounds like an urban legend to me...

Yah, I would definitely agree... I remember being worried about the switch from video to DVD as recently as the early 2000's... I don't think we got a dvd player until 2001 or so.

Took another few years for videos to get shelved, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1020
Back to Topics


Message #1022 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Thomas Canty
Re: Movies? What is it?
2/28/08, 8:07am
>Took another few years for videos to get shelved, though.

Since I moved to Palmdale, I've seen two things while at the grocery store that surprised me. For one, people still write checks up here! I couldn't believe it, the first time I was standing in line and some elderly lady in front of me pulled out a checkbook. I hadn't seen that in years!

And, second, about a month ago, I saw someone buy a three-pack of VHS tapes. Whoa! I didn't know they even still made those... LOL

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ldphotography.net/
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #1022
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter