RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest63835 (54.196.107.247)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Movies and Theatre : Reading "Charlie Wilson's War " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #1047 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Rob Reed  
Charlie Wilson's War
6/12/08, 3:45pm (Last Edited: 6/12/08, 5:17pm)
graphic
I *REALLY* liked this film... I especially liked Phillip Seymore Hoffman's character and Aaron Sorkin's writing. This guy just knows how to write dialogue...

The basic premise is the early-mid 80's during the Cold War, and the USSR vs. Afghanistan rift, with the U.S. using "covert ops" to make things more difficult for Russia. Tom Hanks plays a congressman with the key to the cash that could help the Afghanis... he is also excellent.

It is especially interesting because one has to imagine that the powers that be in the "region formerly known as the USSR" could be currently trying to get a little payback! And, also, because the effects of these covert ops arguably have played a substantial role in the troubles that we are having today.

If you like political drama with a tinge of dark, Aaron-Sorkin-comedy, this is the film for you.

9/10.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #1047
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Rob Reed's Blog

Message #1048 of 1053  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Larry Levy  
Re: Charlie Wilson's War
6/13/08, 8:32am
graphic
I agree. Good film, especially Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character. He's always great.

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #1048
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter