From
Subject
Date
All
Chris Reed  
NFL Predictions
9/7/06, 4:12pm
graphic
The NFL is a league of wild disparities.
Currently, there are teams like the Colts, Steelers, Seahawks, and Broncos who one could argue are not only among the elite in the league today, but are also arguably among the elite teams of all-time.
Then you have squads like the Texans, Titans, Raiders and 49ers that have no business being in the NFL with their current rosters. I would be all for English soccer-style relegation, sending the Texans and 49ers down to NCAA Division I and moving up USC and Ohio State.

With that, there are so many decent teams that predicting the course of this season’s winners is hard, and it’s just as easy to predict who will finish at the bottom.

Sounds like parity to me.

With risk of sounding absolutely wrong if Miami has a decent night tonight against Pittsburgh, here are my predictions for the coming year…
Your thoughts?

AFC East Winner: Patriots

AFC North: Ravens

AFC South: Colts

AFC West: Broncos

AFC Wild Cards: Bengals, Chargers

NFC East: Giants

NFC North: Detroit

NFC South: New Orleans

NFC West: Seahawks

NFC Wild Cards: Dallas and Carolina

AFC Champ: Ravens

NFC Champ: Giants

Super Bowl Champ: Ravens

Toughest Divisions in Football:

AFC North and NFL East… just about every team in those divisions, sans the Browns, are capable of reaching the Super Bowl.

Weakest Divisions in Football:

The AFC South and the NFL West, otherwise known as the AFC Colts and the NFC Seahawks. At least the Cardinals might potentially give Seattle some kind of competition, but the Titans and Texans have no business being in the same league as the Colts, let alone the division.

Most Overrated Teams:

NFC: Carolina, AFC: Miami (Carolina is good, but if you see some preseason publications you would think they were the second coming of the 80s 49ers)

THE Worst Teams:

NFC: SF 49ers, AFC: Houston

Teams that L.A. Residents Should be Thankful Don't Play There Anymore:

Raiders, Rams, and L.A. Express

Bold Prediction:

Raiders will have 50 percent more wins than they did a year ago — six.

Team Everyone is Pulling For:

New Orleans Saints

Reply to Msg #1984
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Chris Reed 's Blog

Message #1985 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Chris Reed
Larry Levy  
Re: NFL Predictions
9/8/06, 9:34am
graphic
I like your picks, other than I hope the Chargers win the west

Additionally I think the Colts will be sorry they let James get away.

I'm more of a college football fan, than pro. In that realm, I don't think SC will make it back to the Championship game, but they will still be a top-5 team. Cal is way over-rated. Penn State and Notre Dame look very tough...Tomorrow's game should be interesting. UCLA will not be 10-2 again, but should be over .500.

I'd like to hear your college pick too.

--------------------------------------------------------
" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #1985
Back to Topics

Message #1986 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Chris Reed
Dr. Rub
9/9/06, 6:51am
AFC East:

1. Patriots
2. Dolphins
3. Bills
4. Jets

AFC North:

1. Bengals
2. Ravens
3. Steelers
4. Browns

AFC South:

1. Colts
2. Jaguars
3. Texans
4. Titans

AFC West:

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?

I think the AFC West is a total crap shoot. I think they will all be about 8-8 or 9-7. They'll beat up on each other. I believe it is the most unpredictable division in the NFL & arguably the most interesting for that same very reason. I honestly don't have an opinion. I will say that whoever comes out of the AFC West as the division champion, will be the only team from that division to make the playoffs, but I don't believe anybody in that division will have worse than a 7-9 record.

NFC East:

1. Giants (Unfortunately, YUCK!)
2 through 4 is a crap shoot also, but just for the sake of guessing

2. Eagles
3. Cowboys
4. Redskins

The winner of this division, probably the Giants, will be the only team to make the playoffs from the NFC East because they'll all beat up on each other, much like the AFC West.

NFC North:

1. Bears
2. Lions
3. Vikings
4. Packers

NFC South:

1. Panthers
2. Falcons
3. Buccaneers
4. Saints

The NFC South is also very tough to pick in my opinion.

NFC West:

1. Seahawks
2. Cardinals
3. Rams
4. 49ers

AFC Playoff teams:

1. Colts
2. Patriots
3. Bengals
4. AFC West champion (flip a coin)
5. Ravens (wildcard)
6. Steelers (wildcard)

Hard luck teams barely missing playoffs: Jaguars, Dolphins, 2nd place AFC West.

AFC's worst team: Jets, Browns a close second

NFC Playoff teams:

1. Seahawks
2. Panthers
3. Bears
4. Giants
5. Falcons (wildcard)
6. Cardinals (wildcard)

Hard luck teams barely missing playoffs: Buccaneers, Rams, 2nd place NFC East.

NFC's worst team: 49ers, Packers a close second

AFC Playoff Games:

Bengals over Steelers
Ravens over AFC West team
Bengals over Patriots
Colts over Ravens
Bengals upset Colts

NFC Playoff Games:

Cardinals upset Bears
Giants over Falcons
Seahawks over Cardinals
Panthers over Giants
Panthers over Seahawks

Super Bowl: Bengals vs. Panthers

I'm not predicting a winner.

Divisions ranked from toughest to weakest:

1. AFC North
2. NFC South
3. NFC East
4. AFC West
5. NFC West
6. AFC South
7. AFC East
8. NFC North

"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #1986
Back to Topics

Message #1987 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Dr. Rub
9/9/06, 7:17am (Last Edited: 9/9/06, 7:21am)
Larry, college football is too tough to pick because it is all very subjective & opinionated. The sportswriters have their "favorites". They'll vote for who they want to see playing in the big game at the end of the season(the BCS national champioship). I like to call the BCS the "bull crap series". Most of the major sportswriters who have a major hand in the college football polls are from the northeast, midwest, & west coast. I'm not an Auburn fan, but I still think they got totally screwed 2 years ago when they went 13-0 & didn't even get a shot at the National Championship. If you go 13-0 & you are in the SEC, that is about as good as you could possibly do in my opinion. I know I live in the south, & I might be slightly biased, but I still believe the SEC is the best college football conference in the nation. All of the other conferences have good teams, but from top to bottom as a whole, I think the SEC is the toughest. I think the sportswriters resent that. It's that old biased against the south. To the sportswriters, NEWS FLASH, the Civil War is over. We don't have slavery down here anymore. The Pac 10 has teams like USC, UCLA, & Oregon. They are good solid teams, especially USC. The Big 10 has Michigan, Ohio St., Iowa, Michigan St., Penn St. All of those are good teams, especially Ohio St. The Big East completely sucks. Louisville & West Virginia are all they really have. The Big 12 has Texas, Okalahoma, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Texas A&M. They are all pretty good, especially Texas. The ACC has Florida St., Miami, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Boston College. That is pretty solid. The Sec has Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss. To me, that is the toughest.

College football would benefit & be much better if there was a playoff system. They need to get rid of the "Bull Crap Series".

"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #1987
Back to Topics

Message #1988 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Larry Levy  
9/9/06, 12:45pm
graphic
ACK!!!!! No Chargers in the AFC Playoffs????? I hope you're wrong.

We'll have to see how Rivers does, but he does have the best RB in the league and one of the best receivers.

Reply to Msg #1988
Back to Topics

Message #1989 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Larry Levy  
9/9/06, 12:46pm
graphic
I totally agree. I'm not sure though how it could be workable given all the conferences, but I would like to see if happen. Hey, they can do it for basketball, right?

Reply to Msg #1989
Back to Topics

Message #1990 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Dr. Rub
9/9/06, 2:37pm
The Chargers are certainly capable of winning that division. They have the players to do it. LT is a bad ass. Gates is the best tight end in football. I think Rivers will be better than people think. Their defense is still pretty solid despite having to deal with off duty police officers.

Reply to Msg #1990
Back to Topics

Message #1991 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Dr. Rub
9/9/06, 3:02pm (Last Edited: 9/9/06, 3:08pm)
Yeah, if basketball can do it, football most certainly can. I think you could have a playoff system without getting rid of the bowls. You have the SEC,ACC,Big 12,Pac 10,Big 10, Big East, Coference USA, & the WAC. That is 8 conferences. Have each conferences' champion(8 teams) in the playoffs & 8 more at large teams from any conference & put them in a 16 team playoff starting the third weekend of December. All 16 teams play, that is 8 games. On New Year's Day, the main 4 bowls(Rose, Sugar, Orange, & Fiesta) can be used for the 8 teams who advanced from the first round. The 4 teams who win in the major 4 bowls can have "The Final 4" of college football on the third weekend of January on a Saturday. It won't interfere with the NFL playoffs because the Saturday games in the NFL playoffs are in first 2 weekends of January when the Wildcard games & Divisional playoffs are taking place. The "Final 4" can take place on the Saturday before the Sunday of the AFC & NFC championship games. The 2 winners in the college football Final 4 can play their championship game on the NFL Superbowl weekend on Saturday, while the Super Bowl takes place on Sunday. Think about the money & interest that would generate. I think it would be a genious idea! Your college football & NFL champions determined on back to back days in the same weekend. That in my opinion would be awesome!

The cool thing to me about the whole idea is that you wouldn't have to eliminate all of the smaller meaningless bowl games as well. You can still have your Continental Tire Bowls for example, along with the Peach Bowl, Cotton, Citrus, Gator, Diamond Walnut, Independence, etc. for all of the college teams who had good years who did not make the round of 16. That way all of the smaller bowls & universities who did not make the college playoffs could still make their money & enjoy their bowl game trips. The smaller bowl games could also serve as mere appitizers before the 16 team college playoffs begin. Just have all the smaller bowls played in the second & third weeks of December.

Reply to Msg #1991
Back to Topics

Message #1992 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Larry Levy  
9/9/06, 11:03pm
graphic
>The Chargers are certainly capable of winning that division.
>They have the players to do it. LT is a bad ass. Gates is the
>best tight end in football. I think Rivers will be better than
>people think. Their defense is still pretty solid despite
>having to deal with off duty police officers.

Right....That Foley thing really bugs me. I wish pro-athletes would start making better decisions. If thinking about being role models is too much to ask, then for crying out loud start thinking about a bad decision costing you your career or worse!

Reply to Msg #1992
Back to Topics

Message #1993 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Larry Levy  
9/9/06, 11:10pm
graphic
I agree: A playoff series is needed. But looking at your list of conferences, I noticed you left out the Mountain West (SDSU, AF, Utah, etc) and that got me thinking about other conferences we may not be thinking about.

We could have an NCAA selection committee doing "bracketology" like with Bball, but then people are always pissed their team didn't make it and that opens up a whole new can of worms. Still I think a playoff system is better than the BCS, so long as we can keep the "Tostito Bowls" around

Reply to Msg #1993
Back to Topics

Message #1994 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Dr. Rub
9/9/06, 11:55pm
I'm sorry Larry. I forgot all about the Mountain West. Well, 9 conference champions & 7 at large.

Reply to Msg #1994
Back to Topics

Message #1995 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Larry Levy  
9/10/06, 11:37am (Last Edited: 9/10/06, 11:38am)
graphic
>I'm sorry Larry. I forgot all about the Mountain West. Well, 9
>conference champions & 7 at large.

Right...That might work.

Then there's The WCC, West Coast Conf.(Includes Pepperdine, where I work), but I don't think any of the schools have football Maybe Santa Clara?

We sell a great tee shirt at Pepperdine. It says, "Pepperdine Football" on the front and "Still Undefeated" on the back Of course, we don't even have a team!

Reply to Msg #1995
Back to Topics

Message #1996 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Dr. Rub
9/10/06, 9:32pm
That's funny Larry! Good for Pepperdine! That is exactly why they should never get a football program so they can keep wearing that shirt.

Reply to Msg #1996
Back to Topics

Message #1997 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Larry Levy  
9/11/06, 9:25am
graphic
>That's funny Larry! Good for Pepperdine! That is exactly why
>they should never get a football program so they can keep
>wearing that shirt.

Lol!!! Right

I'm going to buy one of those shirts.

Reply to Msg #1997
Back to Topics

Message #2000 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Chris Reed
Rob Reed  
9/13/06, 3:18pm
graphic
I know so little about football nowadays that I might as well flip a coin and determine my predictions.

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #2000
Back to Topics

Message #2001 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Larry Levy  
9/13/06, 4:52pm
graphic
>I know so little about football nowadays that I might as well
>flip a coin and determine my predictions.

You'd probably do just as well as the rest of us

Reply to Msg #2001
Back to Topics

Message #2002 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Chris Reed  
9/14/06, 10:33am (Last Edited: 9/14/06, 11:26am)
graphic
>I like your picks, other than I hope the Chargers win the west
>
>

It's only one week, but the Chargers certainly looked more impressive than the Broncos....
But then, if a Canadian Football League team played the Raiders, they would be impressive....

>I'd like to hear your college pick too.

How about this longshot? I think West Virginia is going to win the title...
Yes, they have an easier schedule than UC Davis... But you've got to love that QB/RB combo of White and Slanton.... Could be this year's Leinart and Bush... And remember that they returned most of their starters from the team last year that killed Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

So with the weak schedule, how do the Mountaineers win the title?

First of all, keep in mind that this will be the first year of what will be a much improved postseason for College Football, with a separate National Championship game after the Bowls. In other words, even if WV doesn’t play in the Fiesta Bowl in the first week of January, they may still play for the title if still undefeated a week later.

Add to that, I just see the more established programs above them losing at least a game this year. Ohio State is bound to lose one of their games against their tough Big 10 opponents, Texas has already fallen, Notre Dame is bound to lose one in their tough September (forget how strong they looked in week 2 and remember how weak they looked in week one), USC doesn’t look like a rebuilder anymore but I think either Oregon, Cal or Notre Dame has the potential to stop their title hopes, and Auburn is just itching for a loss in the SEC.

That leaves West Virginia…. After Louisville — already weakened by losing Michael Bush — the Mountaineers don’t face another tough opponent until Bowl Week.

But remember that in College Football, whoever is undefeated in the end… I see WV beating Auburn in the championship game in January….

Reply to Msg #2002
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Chris Reed 's Blog

Message #2003 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Chris Reed
Larry Levy  
9/14/06, 11:45am (Last Edited: 9/14/06, 11:46am)
graphic
Hi, Chris,

Re: The Raiders....I think Pepperdine could beat them and we don't even have a football team. Just a total lack of effort Monday night. Not that I'm upset about that: I'm a Charger fan.

Interesting quote this morning from Mike Ditka's segment on the Scott & BR Show on XX Sports Radio: "The Raiders have been known for years for taking in malcontents and giving them a home. They still give them a home, but they're still malcontents."

I think you may have something with WVA. I agree that the other big guys will lose somewhere along the line and WVA at worst should be right there with them. At best, they could go undefeated.

Reply to Msg #2003
Back to Topics

Message #2004 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Chris Reed
Rob Reed  
9/15/06, 12:08pm
graphic
Is anybody talking about West Virginia?

Do you think if I played West Virginia vs. USC or Texas in NCAA 07 on the Xbox that WV would have a chance? I'll try.

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #2004
Back to Topics

Message #2005 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Larry Levy  
9/15/06, 2:19pm
graphic
>Is anybody talking about West Virginia?
>
>Do you think if I played West Virginia vs. USC or Texas in
>NCAA 07 on the Xbox that WV would have a chance? I'll try.

Well the three of us are talking about WVA Actualy, I've heard a number of "experts" say what Chris said about them having a good chance to go undefeated.

Reply to Msg #2005
Back to Topics

Message #2006 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Chris Reed
Dr. Rub
9/16/06, 5:51am
I wouldn't call 38-35 getting killed. Yes, Georgia got their butt kicked in the first quarter, 28-0. But Georgia made a game of it after realizing they were actually playing a damn good West Virginia team. It is a 60 minute ball game. I say this because I'm a Georgia fan.

I agree, West Virginia plays nobody. They have one tough game all year, & that is against Louisville who is a Top 10 team. West Virginia's conference is very weak overall. They have a good shot to take the whole thing. Their strength of schedule may hurt them though in the polls.

Auburn is also a very good team, but unlike West Virginia, they play in a brutal conference. They will lose 1 game before the season is over, but probably will everybody in the SEC, because they will all beat up on each other. No disrepect to the ACC, Big 10, Pac 10, Big 12, Big East, Conference USA, WAC, MAC, & Mountain West, but the SEC in my humble opinion is still the toughest conference in college football.

I predict USC & West Virginia in the BCS(bullcrap championship series) title game because nobody in the Pac 10 measures up to USC, despite having some pretty good teams like Oregon, California, & UCLA. West Virginia will barely win their one tough game & go undefeated. Moreover, The Pac 10 & Big East don't have to play a conference championship game. The Big 10 doesn't play a championship game either. The SEC, ACC, & Big 12 all have to play a conference championship game, which is an advantage & disadvantage. The advantage, playing that extra game for their conference championship only helps their strength of schedule. The disadvantage is that it just gives a team another chance to lose. I think all of the conferences should be forced to play a conference championship game to make it fair. I don't believe the polls should exist either until about Week 7 or 8 of the college season, when you see who everyone has played & how they have faired. Preseason rankings in my opinion are based totally off speculation, reputation, popularity, & dare I say political to some degree. If the polls want to rank Notre Dame number 1 in every preseason poll just because the media loves Notre Dame & wants Notre Dame to be able to control their own destiny, the media & polls will damn sure do it. Moreover, teams like Notre Dame & USC, even Ohio St., are "glamour teams" who have popular backing. To be fair, those 3 teams are very deserving of their ranking right now because all 3 of them are pretty damn good. Let's face it though, the northeast & midwest media hate the south. They'll never admit it, but they know that college football in the south is bigtime.

Reply to Msg #2006
Back to Topics

Message #2007 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Larry Levy  
9/16/06, 3:43pm (Last Edited: 9/16/06, 3:43pm)
graphic
Let's see what happens to Notre Dame after today's drubbing by Michigan..That was a big surprise to me.

Reply to Msg #2007
Back to Topics

Message #2008 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Dr. Rub
9/17/06, 10:28pm
That was a shock Larry. They dropped all the way to 12th. I'm glad Michigan beat their ass personally.

Reply to Msg #2008
Back to Topics

Message #2009 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Larry Levy  
9/18/06, 9:07am
graphic
>That was a shock Larry. They dropped all the way to 12th. I'm
>glad Michigan beat their ass personally.

I was rooting for ND, but only because I'm still pissed at UM for not taking my son when he applied there. Also, ever since "Rudy", I've been an ND fan.

Reply to Msg #2009
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter