From
Subject
Date
All
Rob Reed  
Pitcher Draft
4/1/07, 9:25pm
graphic
Alright... you guys have me scratching my head again. How is it possible for me to get all SIX of my starters from my top 25?!?!?!?!?!?!

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #2093
Back to Topics

Message #2094 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Dr. Rub
Re: Pitcher Draft
4/1/07, 11:02pm (Last Edited: 4/1/07, 11:10pm)
Well, who knows Rob? I will say that you definately had the best starting pitcher draft. Mine wasn't too shabby either. However, let's remember that Robert, Mel & myself all tanked(relatively speaking) the starting pitching draft last season. Robert won the World Series. Mel won the regular season, all be it just by one damn game over myself. Not saying that will happen this season, but you never know. As you know, there is usually a method to our madness.

On another note, what did you think about the Beat the Geeks Yahoo league draft? I'm feeling pretty damn good about my team in that one. My pitching might need a little improvement, but I think my hitting is as good as anybody's in the league & arguably one of the better line ups.

What gives with you drafting Crawford #1 after all of the Crawford bashing? I got a kick out of that. Maybe that was just Greg's influence. If so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I still think it was a pretty good number 1 pick.

"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #2094
Back to Topics

Message #2095 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Robert Reed  
4/2/07, 5:47am (Last Edited: 4/2/07, 5:50am)
graphic
Robbies draft so far is unbelievable., however, based on your post I looked to see how my players matched up with my rankings:

As per my pitchers, 5 out of 6 are in my first 25., the 6th ranks 34.
As per my outfield, 5 out of 6 are in my first 25, the 6th ranks 32.
Robs draft so far is # 1 in my opinion, I like my team also.

The "Boogasystem" may "implode" this year, I predict, good luck to all.

Reply to Msg #2095
Back to Topics

Message #2096 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
Jeremy Pate
4/2/07, 7:59am
The draft is going exactly as I hoped it would to this point. Now, I just have to decide if I want Pujols. Or do I want someone else?

Hmmmm.....

Yes, Rob's draft is great, but more than 1/2 his money is gone. No championships have ever been won in early April.

I find it funny that the top 4 people in regards to remaining money all have Florida ties.

Reply to Msg #2096
Back to Topics

Message #2097 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Jeremy Pate
Robert Reed  
4/2/07, 8:43am
graphic
Florida can stay cheap!!.
Pujols will not win BBM by himself,-- he would be nice, but Howard or Lee will suffice.
DH's Ortiz or Haffner would be O'K also, I.E. , no matter what, we always have money left over.
I won the overall title once, and league once,I started in 1995.
Last year the big prize for me, was winning the "Money League", some of you may have heard of this league,(unrelated, (non BBM, to the one we are playing., i.e. actual money appears.

Pitching was important for me both times,(winning B.B.M., however, the likes of "Boogaman and Rub" were not always in the competition, since they came in, winning takes "more work", and "lots of luck"--------------- good luck to ALL.

Reply to Msg #2097
Back to Topics

Message #2098 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
Dr. Rub
4/2/07, 10:14am (Last Edited: 4/2/07, 10:17am)
You & Rob have very strong teams. I'm happy with my draft also so far. I think I'll have a solid team.

I got 4 of my top 20 pitchers & I had Millwood ranked around 35th.

All 6 of my outfielders were listed in my top 35. I think that's pretty good. I'm happy with that.

"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #2098
Back to Topics

Message #2099 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Jeremy Pate
Dr. Rub
4/2/07, 10:21am
We are a bunch of cheap MF's aren't we? That's okay. Our league is always considered one of the very toughest in league strenth factor. We all have different spending philosophies. That is what makes the league interesting. I don't think spending money or not spending that much money guarantees bad or good results. A lot of times, it is the moves you make during the season. But I'm not discrediting the draft. It still has importance.

Reply to Msg #2099
Back to Topics

Message #2100 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Larry Levy  
4/2/07, 10:23am
graphic
"MF" stands for "Mariners' Fans", right?

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #2100
Back to Topics

Message #2101 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Dr. Rub
4/2/07, 5:24pm
You couldn't be more right Larry!

Reply to Msg #2101
Back to Topics

Message #2102 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Larry Levy  
4/3/07, 2:51pm
graphic
>You couldn't be more right Larry!

Well, what else could it have meant?

Back in the 70's when the Oakland A's were winning all those Series, I was a fan of theirs, which I guess made me an "Athletic supporter."

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #2102
Back to Topics

Message #2103 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
BBMer's
Robert Jones  
Re: You Were Saying????
4/3/07, 6:12pm (Last Edited: 4/3/07, 6:23pm)

Ughhh??? I'm sorry, I was a little distracted.....you guys were saying???

Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #2103
Back to Topics

Message #2104 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
to you lefties on the left coast................
Dr. Rub
4/3/07, 9:42pm (Last Edited: 4/3/07, 9:52pm)

...............And you were saying?

I mean the "lefties on the left coast" thing very affectionately of course.

Reply to Msg #2104
Back to Topics

Message #2105 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Rob Reed  
4/3/07, 11:03pm (Last Edited: 4/3/07, 11:08pm)
graphic

Oh, man... these are fighting words and pictures... the previous does not include a lousy t-shirt that BBM was giving out in the late 90's... and don't forget that my Dad has the 2005 banner.

With that, we have FIVE championship/playoff "trophies" using our philosophy versus your "poor man," punk-ass philosophy! PLUS, I have made the playoffs in all but two of my 13 previous seasons of BBM... so there! ;6

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #2105
Back to Topics

Message #2106 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Dr. Rub
4/3/07, 11:46pm (Last Edited: 4/4/07, 12:00am)
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!

Yeah, I was trying to find my BBM T-Shirt for winning the regular season in 2004 & I couldn't find it.

Hey, you know I never bragg much, but Robert did it, so I had to do it. I just think it was funny.

Hey, with all do respect Rob, I think very highly of you guys out there. I know you guys are winners & fantasy baseball Gods.

Despite are differences in philosophies, I think all of us are pretty darn good fantasy baseball players, particularly BBM. I just think it's funny. Every year during the BBM draft, you guys out there start poking fun at us Floridians for being so cheap in the draft. I don't know if you guys are just joking or if you guys are truly trying to analyze the situation & be critical of our drafting stratagies. So we just thought it would be fun to fire back for a change. You do your thing & we will do ours & we'll see what happens & who makes out the best by season's end. We have a great league from top to bottom!

My results in BBM aren't too shabby either.

1st year: 89 - 73 finished 2nd just 1 game behind Robert; lost in the World Series to Robert

2nd year: 101 - 61 finished 1st by 12 games; won World Series over Rob Reed

3rd year: 77 - 85 finished 6th (YUCK!)

* I finished 2nd that year in a BBM pine tar league ( 91-71 ). I lost in the World Series. This was the only season I participated in 2 BBM leagues.

4th year: 90 - 72 finished 2nd just 1 game behind Mel Leonard. Lost to Jaydawg in first round of playoffs.

That's 357 - 291 in regular season overall in our league & 448 - 362 in 5 total BBM seasons with 3 World Series appearances & 1 World Series title. One regular season championship & 3 second place finishes.

We Floridians just feel like we haven't gotten any respect from the LA contengency. 4 years running now that one of us "cheap" Floridians have won the regular season title. 2003(Robert), 2004( Dr. Rub), 2005 (Mel), 2006 (Mel). Not speaking for Robert, Mel, or Jeremy, but I am just jealous of your awesome fantasy baseball prowess. Maybe thats why we feel slightly disrepected. I know you have enjoyed much success in BBM, but for the short time I've been in it, I've been pretty darn successful as well. It is only because of this that puzzles me(although light hearted & almost jokingly) why you guys out there keep bashing us over here about are spending or lack of spending habbits during the draft.

Nevertheless, I actually think it's comical & a bit amusing. I think we have one of the very toughest BBM leagues around because the compitition is so great. I enjoy the great challenge from the powerful Reed fantasy baseball dynasty, as well as the great compitition from my fellow Floridians & Vicki as well. See you on the diamond!

Reply to Msg #2106
Back to Topics

Message #2107 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Rob Reed  
4/4/07, 4:47pm (Last Edited: 4/4/07, 4:49pm)
graphic
You guys have the respect, for sure. I mean, you guys are like magicians. Wasn't it Mel who won the league whose very first SP pick was, ugh, JAKE FRIGGIN WESTBROOK?

Should I have chosen Scott Elarton as my #1 this season?

Remember that last year, Booga was getting stud after stud after stud in the infield, and I predicted right after the draft that he would win the league outright.

This year, other than last night, I had been getting stud after stud after stud... hopefully, I can salvage some decent players at SS and 3B, so that I can announce that the regular season is over before it starts.

Reply to Msg #2107
Back to Topics

Message #2108 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Jeremy Pate
4/5/07, 4:12am
Well I won't be holding one of those coveted banners anytime soon. I screwed up my Shortstop draft. I put in the wrong salary cap. And I wind up with Julio Friggin' Lugo as my starter. Betancourt is my backup. Sheesh.

I won't make the same mistake twice.

I'm so friggin' sick to my stomach about it. I realized it when I woke up this morning...it hit me like a ton of bricks when I was getting out of bed.

Well, looks like I'll be doing some serious wheeling and dealing soon. Because God knows I have plenty of money to do it.

There's always next year.

Reply to Msg #2108
Back to Topics

Message #2109 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Jeremy Pate
Robert Reed  
4/5/07, 5:40am
graphic
Jeremy, I hope your entire season does not "Hinge" on your ShortSHtup position.
Picking in the # 8 position I fully expected to be in line to pick up Lugo since he was my # 8,---- can you imagine my surprise in getting Jeter, THANKYO and "all" others ahead of me, for being so nice.

Reply to Msg #2109
Back to Topics

Message #2110 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Jeremy Pate
Dr. Rub
4/5/07, 5:54am (Last Edited: 4/5/07, 6:15am)
Wow! I'm glad you atleast admitted that to being a mistake. Even this cheap ass Floridian(talking about myself) was scratching my head this morning over your shortstop draft & really over the entire shortstop draft throughout the league. Your apparant honest mistake got me up the butt REAL DAMN GOOD! Next time, I ask you to atleast bring some lubricant. Please.

I'm not objecting to having Reyes. He's a great player. I had him ranked number 2 on my shortstop list. I had Tejada ranked number 1, just knowing that those 2 guys would be gone by the time it came to my pick in the 4th position. I was geared up to take Renteria. I had him ranked 3rd. I was trying to move up to number 3 or atleast stay in the number 4 position going into the third base draft tonight. But some damn how I dropped to 6th & the player I wanted very badly tonight will have to just be a "fantasy". I thought I could get that player tonight if I were in the 3rd or 4th position. I can now forget that!

I had my shortstop salary cap set at 3.55 million. I didn't think there was anyway on God's green earth that I would wind up with Reyes for 3.3 million. I figured he would go for around 4 million atleast & someone else would end up paying for him. I thought I had set my salary cap just low enough to not get Reyes or Tejada. But 3.3 for Reyes, I can't be totally disatisfied with that. I had Rollins & Hanley Ramirez ranked 4th & 5th respectively thinking I would wind up with one of them for 2 & a half or 3 million if I didn't get Renteria on the cheap.

I just knew Jeremy & Robert were going after the top studs at shortstop because you guys have seemingly budgeted your draft to set up for the big finish. I must have been dreaming that because I woke up this morning & I saw "Deep In the Hole! Dragons get Jose Reyes." I thought, Oh shit, how did this possibly happen??? Then I saw Jeremy with Julio Lugo as the number 1 overall shortstop pick & I then thought to myself, ????????????

Now, Julio Lugo is a pretty good shortstop & I think a sleeper candidate at shortstop. But......... number 1, numero uno! when you have the most money left to spend, 2 million dollars ahead of Robert. I must admit I hit the floor. I then thought to myself......... this Jeremy is crazy. I thought I was cheap! Then I saw Jeremy's post here on the RRBBS which atleast explained why he took Lugo at number 1, which screwed me royally in the process for positioning at 3rd base tonight. BTW, I'm not unhappy about having Reyes & Hardy as my backup. I'm just pissed off about my draft position tonight!

Reply to Msg #2110
Back to Topics

Message #2111 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Robert Reed  
4/5/07, 6:17am
graphic
YO Rub, I feel your "Pain", and you sound "So pained", picking Reyes in the # 4 spot, he is after all numero uno.

I know you have an aversion to "Yankees", you and others perhaps, thanks to all for Jeter at # 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Msg #2111
Back to Topics

Message #2112 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
Dr. Rub
4/5/07, 7:02am
Mr. Reed, I had Jeter ranked 6th. I'm not unhappy about Reyes. He is an awesome player! However, it totally screwed up my 3rd base & catcher draft, atleast what I had planned. I would have been happier with Renteria or Hanley Ramirez for example & then get one of the top 3 or 4 thirdbasemen & one of the top 3 or 4 catchers. I believe I could have done that if last night's shortsop results had not transpired the way they did & very shockingly I must admit!

Reply to Msg #2112
Back to Topics

Message #2113 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Jeremy Pate
Robert Jones  
4/5/07, 3:48pm (Last Edited: 4/5/07, 4:14pm)
I am soooo sorry guys....as I said I have been rather distracted of late and have been paying attention to other things like work and my salary caps for instance. I'll try to pay a little more attention to the banter going on from here on out.

Reply to Msg #2113
Back to Topics

Message #2114 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Jeremy Pate
Robert Jones  
4/5/07, 7:30pm (Last Edited: 4/5/07, 7:30pm)
Sorry Jeremy....I feel your pain....I have had nightmares of doing the same exact thing. You had me puzzled this morning....I was lookingup Julio Lugo in my fantasy mags thinking, "What does he see in this guy?" Best of luck holding on to that number 1 pick for the remainder. and take solice in knowing that Nick Punto should be available cheaply tonight and might not last till the second round.

Reply to Msg #2114
Back to Topics

Message #2115 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All BBMers
Dr. Rub
Re: 3B draft
4/6/07, 5:54am (Last Edited: 4/6/07, 6:44am)
If I had known that David Wright was going to slip all the way down to the 8th position, I sure as hell would have set my salary cap for third base a heck of a lot higher. Being that I was in the 6th spot last night, I figured I had absolutely NO SHOT at getting either Miguel Cabrera, Aramis Ramirez, David Wright, or A-Rod. So I decided to go low ball at third base, which I realized would be a huge risk, so I could set up for getting one of the catchers I definately want in the cathcer draft. So I decided to take a chance at third base on a couple of sleepers.

I knew by stratagy at third base last night would atleast put me up in the 2 or 3 spot for one of the 3 catchers I really want, since I guessed that there was no way I could get Cabrera, Ramirez, A-Rod, or Wright at third base. I was just so damn sure that those 4 would be the first 4 third basemen selected. Sure, I guess I could have drafted Chipper Jones or Ryan Zimmerman in the 6th spot, but I also knew that if I had did that, I most likely would have not been in position for 1 of the top 3 catchers on my list. It is definately a calculated risk.

I'm really rolling the dice on Edwin Encarnacion's & Wilson Betemit's potential, which I believe they both have a lot of. I was also thinking that Encarnacion might have a pretty good year, perhaps a breakout year hitting in that band box in Cincinnati. I also really think Betemit is going to wind up suprising some people this season, now that he has been given the opportunity to play third base fulltime. I have been high on him all along & I hope he doesn't make me look out to be a complete idiot & proves me right. I thought the Braves should have never traded him because Chipper has been injury prone the past 3 or 4 seasons & Chipper certainly isn't getting any younger. Not only that, I believe Betemit turns that magical age of 27 this season.

If They both live up to what I think they can do, I believe Encarnacion can be a consistant 280 hitter with 25 to 30 homeruns this season. I believe Betemit could also put up close to the same numbers. But damn it! If I would have known Wright was going to slip down that far, I would have sure as hell had him & just have settled for my 5th or 6th ranked catcher tonight. I just did not figure Wright would go down that far. Rob must be laughing his ass off!

Reply to Msg #2115
Back to Topics

Message #2116 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Jeremy Pate
4/6/07, 6:56am
I almost took Wright with the top pick, but Miggy has been too good to me in the past to pass up. Yes, it cost me, but I think he's worth it. I can't believe Wright fell to 8th. I have him in a Yahoo Fantasy league. I have big hopes for him this year.

I can't believe I still have 20 million bucks. So now it comes down to which catcher do I want? Can Joe Mauer repeat his breakout year last year? Will Brian McCann live up to his new contract? Is Jorge Posada really that good? And the list goes on and on...

There's a lot to think about...and not much time to think.

Oh, I will be looking to wheel and deal after the draft...in case anyone's interested...specifically, I'm looking for a shortstop.

That's it. I'm out.

Reply to Msg #2116
Back to Topics

Message #2117 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Rob Reed  
4/6/07, 12:19pm
graphic
The way I look at it is you bid the players\and set the salary caps as if you have the #1 pick. To make you guys feel better, I don't think that Wright had more than 5 hrs in the 2nd half last, so it makes complete sense to let him go that late!

[snicker]

Reply to Msg #2117
Back to Topics

Message #2118 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Robert Jones  
4/6/07, 8:48pm (Last Edited: 4/6/07, 9:35pm)
>The way I look at it is you bid the players\and set the salary
>caps as if you have the #1 pick. To make you guys feel
>better, I don't think that Wright had more than 5 hrs in the
>2nd half last, so it makes complete sense to let him go that
>late!
>
>[snicker]

If I could have drafted four players last night Wright would not have slipped so far. I was looking hard at Wright, ARod, Cabrera and Ramirez. I had Cabrera ranked at #1 as I see him as being Pujols caliber...my only knock on him is his surrounding cast of players....I looked at ARod and had him ranked 2nd until late...I see him as being uncomfortable in New York to the point that it effects his play...he is a tremendous talent but NY is a downside to him. I was concerned about Wright in the same way. He tailed off in the second half and is a young player playing in NY....I kind of thought he might find himself in a pressure cooker situation there and I looked at his second half tail off from last year. When I looked at Ramirez and his supporting cast in Wrigley and his potential hitting with that crew aound him I was intrigued. My biggest knock on Ramirez is that he is an injury risk...so with my guys I thought he would feel right at home. Welcome to the club Aramis. I couldn't block anybody else from falling to 8th.

I kind of felt that Aramis had the most upside of the possible selections. Third base was deep talent wise

and as far as the Snicker....I still haven't had one since the Superbowl commercial...that still grosses me out.

Reply to Msg #2118
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter