Message #2119 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
Our BBM History
4/6/07, 9:07pm (Last Edited: 4/6/07, 9:49pm)
We should try to record and save as much of our fantasy baseball history as we can. I am trying to recall as much as I can. If you have any recollection of times past please add to the thread.

World Series History

2002 Rob Reed
2003 Robert Jones over Scott Callaway 4 games to 0
2004 Scott Callaway over Rob Reed 4 games to 2
2005 Robert Reed Sr. over Rob Reed 4 games to 3
2006 Robert Jones over Jason Reed 4 games to 0

Regular Season History

2003 Robert Jones over Scott Callaway by virtually 1/2 game
2004 Scott Callaway by 12 games
2005 Mel Leonard
2006 Mel Leonard over Scott by 1 game

I have one other regular season championship but I don't remember what year. I am not sure what year Mel and I joined the league either.

Significant Debuts

2003 Scott Callaway joined the league
2006 Jeremy Pate joined the league
2007 Richard Rogen joined the league

We should probably start a record book for most runs scored in a night, season, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #2119
Back to Topics

Message #2120 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
Re: Our BBM History
4/6/07, 9:59pm (Last Edited: 4/6/07, 11:23pm)
I seem to think Mel and I joined the league in 2001 or maybe 2000

Reply to Msg #2120
Back to Topics

Message #2121 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Dr. Rub
4/7/07, 12:40am
Robert, Jeremy joined in 2005 because I know this is Jeremy's 3rd season coming up.

As far as runs scored, records, etc.

I know in 2004 & 2006, I led the league in scoring. I believe you led the league in scoring in 2003, even though I had a slightly better run differential.

"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #2121
Back to Topics

Message #2122 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Robert Reed  
4/7/07, 2:08am (Last Edited: 4/7/07, 2:13am)
graphic
I believe I joined this in 1996.

The only other people at that time, as I remember, were my Sons, to include a team called "the stoners", and Vicki., who obviously knows the game.

We were National league only, my Sons introduced me to this due to the fact that:
a, I knew nothing about computers.
b, even though I bought baseball cards for them, (and "acted" like I knew something about the game, I KNEW nothing.
I received NO help from them as per the draft.
As far as my involvement, I won the league once, and the Series( as Robbie reminded me, once, 2005).
I believe I have been in the playoffs most of the years I have been involved.

This is due to the fact that "I hate to lose at anything".
Dr Rub, on the other hand seems to be an "encyclopedia", his knowlege of past seasons is truly amazing, this must have something to do with the fact that he stays in contention.

Since those earlier years, we "ran" in to a bunch of Pros., the people in this league are very knowlegable,----- to win this, one has to be very astute in the playing of B.B.M.

This year should be as competitive as always, however, some of the draft results have me feeling "puzzled", E.G. I had 3B Wright in the 2nd position, No worse than 3, yet Rob Reed gets him at # 8.
The day before I get Jeter at the same #8.
I hope this "insanity" draft does not result in a repeat, I.E. "Booga" getting "Junk", initially, in the draft last year, AND WINNING and Mel making Westbrook his M.V.P.

Reply to Msg #2122
Back to Topics

Message #2123 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
Dr. Rub
4/7/07, 5:51am
Wow, that's interesting how you came to be involved in the league. I'm glad you guys got into it, because without the Reeds, this league really wouldn't exist. I like to keep up with my stats from year to year. I just find it interesting to see the fluxuations & consistencies from season to season. There does seem to be a direct correlation with the stats my teams puts up & my win - loss records. For example:

In 2003(my first season): I was second in the league in runs scored behind Robert, although my run differentialwas slightly better than Robert's, by like 3 or 4 runs. I led the league in batting average & homeruns. I was third in team ERA. Pretty good rankings. I finished in second place, 1 game behind Robert & then advanced to the World Series, only to get blown away by Robert, 4-0. I was 11-7 against Robert that season, but he certainly made up for that in the W.S.

In 2004: My team was just completely dominant. 101-61. I was number 1 in scoring, number 1 in run differential, number 1 in batting average, number 1 in homeruns, number 1 in doubles, number 2 in triples, number 1 in team ERA. I went on to win the W.S.

In 2005: My team was very meteocre & it showed. I wasn't number 1 or 2 in any category. I was 4th in batting average & in home runs. My team ERA was 5th in the league. Nothing special. I finished 77-85 in 6th place.

Last season was puzzling, although I was in it all the way to the end. I was number 1 in batting average, homeruns, hits, doubles, run differential & team ERA. I was third in triples. I still finished in second place by 1 game behind Mel. I was in first place for 103 games & got caught on the very last night, game 162. That sucked. Then Jaydawg proceeded to beat my ass in the first round of the playoffs, 4-0. I was shocked to say the least. I had never worked harder in a season, only to see it come crashing down at the very end.

I told Robert a few nights ago that I was just 2 games away from having 3 regular season champioships in my first 4 seasons. He said something to the effect of, "Yeah, but that just part of the mystique." I guess he meant that it seems like I'm always seemingly near or at the top of the league, but somehow always wind up being the brides maid. Even in the other BBM league I did for just 1 season, I was the brides maid, finishing second, 91-71 & losing in the W.S.

"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #2123
Back to Topics

Message #2124 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Jeremy Pate
4/8/07, 10:11am
Robert, how could you forget Xavier Nady for more than 3 million dollars in my initial draft? And of course, there's 5 million for Adam Dunn last year.

No such mistakes this year. In fact, it may be just the opposite. I think I underpaid...WAAAAYYYY underpaid for my shortstop, outfield, pitcher and 2nd base positions. But we'll see.

I'm happy with my reliever draft. I didn't pay a lot for many people. So, I have 12+ million to play with the rest of the year. Who in free agency do I want now? Hmmm...

The Reed clan doesn't have much money to play with the rest of the year. In fact, I still have more money than Rob and Jason combined. You can also take any 2 members of the Reed family and I have more money than they do, combined. But we'll see if my fiscal conservatism translates into Free Agency, and ultimately, regular season success. No one has ever won a championship in April...but plenty of people have lost them.

Happy Easter. I'm out.

Reply to Msg #2124
Back to Topics

Message #2125 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Jeremy Pate
Rob Reed  
4/9/07, 11:58am
graphic
$12,000,000 in spare money after a draft allows you the potential to snag 120 free agents at the league minimum.

I only need 40 or so.

Good draft everybody!

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #2125
Back to Topics

Message #2126 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
Re: Our Updated BBM History
4/9/07, 11:10pm (Last Edited: 4/9/07, 11:30pm)
World Series History

2002 Rob Reed

Regular Season History

2005 Mel Leonard

I have one other regular season championship but I don't remember what year. I am not sure what year Mel and I joined the league either.

Significant Debuts

2005 Jeremy Pate joined the league

If anyone has any recollection of first years in the league or WS or Regular season champions please chime in.

I want to say my brother Stoney won an unlikely WS championship
in I think 2001...it was his one and only year in the league. He never received a pennant from BBM for it. I think my first year in the league Rob must have beaten me in like 16 games by a one run margin in each. He just had my number and it seemed to be one

Reply to Msg #2126
Back to Topics

Message #2127 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
BBM Recollections
4/9/07, 11:36pm (Last Edited: 4/10/07, 12:03am)
For some reason I think I started in 2001. I remember having A.J. Burnett and starting him the night he threw a no-hitter. I was playing Mel that night and I lost that game due in part to the 9 walks that Burnett allowed during his no-hitter. It is possible that I might have been in a year before but I can't seem to recall.

I do remember playing during the year that the team called The Cows were on board...I remember the dialog that I started on Rob's message board about the stampede.

I think I managed to draft Bonds every year up to 2001 and I seem to recall that he was drafted by the Lugster that year when he exploded. I have ceased to be a Bonds fan in the years since but this year he is kind of fun to have as I get to at least enjoy his homers as he approaches Hammerin' Hank (One of my favorite players of all time). Somehow I seem to hope that Bonds does not break the record but it seems almost inevedible at this point.

Reply to Msg #2127
Back to Topics

Message #2128 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Robert Reed  
Re: BBM Recollections
4/10/07, 3:07am
graphic
>For some reason I think I started in 2001. I remember having
>A.J. Burnett and starting him the night he threw a no-hitter.
>I was playing Mel that night and I lost that game due in part
>to the 9 walks that Burnett allowed during his no-hitter. It
>is possible that I might have been in a year before but I
>can't seem to recall.
>
>I do remember playing during the year that the team called The
>Cows were on board...I remember the dialog that I started on
>Rob's message board about the stampede.
>
>I think I managed to draft Bonds every year up to 2001 and I
>seem to recall that he was drafted by the Lugster that year
>when he exploded. I have ceased to be a Bonds fan in the
>years since but this year he is kind of fun to have as I get
>to at least enjoy his homers as he approaches Hammerin' Hank
>(One of my favorite players of all time). Somehow I seem to
>hope that Bonds does not break the record but it seems almost
>inevedible at this point.

Hi Robert, and good luck for the season, however I am sure "Rub" and yourself will not need it since whatever method you use you seem to do well.
My recollection is that you could have joined no later than 1999, I am well aware of that year and the succeeding ones.

AS for me, having Bonds on my team, I can assure you from having experienced his apparent surliness (as a Dodger fan), on, and off the field, he is "not fit", to be called a "Lug"., and has NEVER appeared on any roster of mine.

Reply to Msg #2128
Back to Topics

Message #2129 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Dr. Rub
Re: Our Updated BBM History
4/10/07, 5:16am
Hey Robert, Stoney was actually in the league one other season as well. I only know this because if you remember, it was Stoney & I who pulled off that trade the year I won the league(2004). Remember, he wanted Barry Bonds from me. He wanted him really bad. So, I trade him Barry Bonds for Carlos Zambrano & Craig Biggio. I also gained monet for free agency in that deal because Bonds was like 4.5 million, while Zambrano was 1.5 million & Biggio was only about 200K. Before the trade, Stoney had more money than I. We basically just flipped flopped our positions with available money for free agency. If I had not pulled this trade off, I'm not sure I would have won that year.

I have been involved in 3 trades since I've been in the league.

First season(2003): I traded Vlad Guerrero & Chipper Jones. In return I got Gary Sheffield, Andruw Jones, & approx. 3 million dollars. The trade was with Robert Jones at the very beginning of the season. If I had not made this trade, I don't believe I would have finished second(1 game behind Robert) that year. I also don't believe I would have got as far as the World Series. On paper, at the time, the trade looked slightly better for Robert. Maybe so. But I still got 2 very darn good players & a lot of spending power out of the deal. Without that spending power, I would have not had the money to pick up the additinal players in free agency that I needed to make that run.

Second season(2004): I mentioned it earlier in this post. Bonds for Zambrano & Biggio & about 2.8 million dollars. I also made another trade that season with the "Riots"(Chris Reed). I don't recall the player I traded at this point in time. I believe it was a pitcher. In return I got Jacque Jones. The money was pretty even as I recall.

Reply to Msg #2129
Back to Topics

Message #2130 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
Dr. Rub
Re: BBM Recollections
4/10/07, 5:22am
Mr. Reed, quiet honestly I'm not feeling too good about my team. I think they'll be okay, but I got some serious work to do to make a push for one of the 4 playoff spots. Right now, I don't believe they are playoff caliber. I believe I got about a 500 type of team, maybe. I look at my team & I think I had a decent draft, but then I look at the other teams in the league & I start to think to myself, damn! They look pretty damn good. I know I got some work to do. Good luck to all this season, except when you play me

Reply to Msg #2130
Back to Topics

Message #2131 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
Updated as 0f 4/11/07 BBM History
4/11/07, 10:31am (Last Edited: 4/11/07, 9:01pm)
I am going to date our league as beginning in 1994 since that was the first year all of the Reed's started playing BBM together. Chris was the initial member of BBM and through him he introduced the rest of the Reeds to BBM. Mel and I got an invite as the league needed to fill a couple or three roster spots and I think we came in through a post on the Diamond Club. I am not sure if anyone has any old banners or baseballs that help to date the year of previous championships.

World Series History

1994 Rob Reed (San Bruno League)
1995 Jason Reed over Rob unknown from Kentucky (Del Mar League)
1996 Chris Reed over Jason Reed (San Marcos League)
1997 Rob Reed
1998 Jason Reed
1999 Unknown
2000 Unknown
2001 Stoney Jones
2002 Rob Reed (Robinson League)

Regular Season History

1994 Rob Reed
1995 Unknown
1996 Chris Reed over Jason Reed 100 games to 99 games(Wow!)
1997 Unknown
1998 Unknown
1999 Rob Reed(?)
2000 Unknown
2001 Robert Jones(?)
2002 Rob Reed
2005 Mel Leonard

I have one other regular season championship but I don't remember what year.

Significant Debuts

1992 Chris Reed was the first to join
1993 Rob Reed joined the league
1994 Jason Reed and Mike Reed Joined the league
1998 Vicki Joined the league
1999 Mel Leonard and Robert Jones joined the league

Somewhere between 1996 - 1999 saw Robert Reed and Vicki Blucher joined the league

Reply to Msg #2131
Back to Topics

Message #2132 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
Memoirs of Fantasy Sports Fanatic
4/11/07, 12:25pm (Last Edited: 4/11/07, 12:33pm)
I remember many years ago Mel got me interested in BBM. We shared a team since I did not have a computer. I remember that we drafted Greg Maddux and Barry Bonds that year. I had been involved in fantasy baseball before that. One league was done through the mail and over the phone. We got letters once per week with our team standings and transactions and both managers had to call in trades and transactions had to be called in as well. I also started a league up with a few friends in which we hand tracked results via the newspaper and tallied up scores by hand. We lasted about half a season with that before we gave up on it because it became too much of a grind. I still have those records in a notebook somewhere.

Mel also got me into fantasy football. He presented a sheet for scoring and we assembled six friends that first year and began what has become an obsession. This obsession led to my eventual friendship with Scott(Dr. Rub) and as he was invited into the league and eventually to my friendship with Jeremy. It has been a glue that has held some of my friendships together providing a bond for continued contact even after social interactions faded.

The fantasy football began with a comissioner and the teams called in lineups trades and scores every week. Scores were tracked on paper and team owners were responsible for phoning in line ups each week to each other and contacting the commish with scores.

Reply to Msg #2132
Back to Topics

Message #2135 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Robert Jones  
Special Thanks to Jason For His Help
4/11/07, 8:53pm
THis is an Email from Jason Reed today helping to recollect our league history.

Cool!

Here's a little more info based on my best recollections----- Anybody who knows me will tell you how my memory is very reliable..........
World Series History

1993 Unknown
1994 Unknown---Robbie won BOTH the playoffs and division. I think our division was called the "San Anselmo League", but I'm not sure. It definitely was named after a Northern Calif. city.
1995 Jason Reed--- I won the "Del Mar League" over another guy named Rob (can't remember his surname or team name) who was a big Reds fan from Kentucky. The Quakes were unstoppable with my two aces Greg Maddux and Denny Neagle, who were in their prime. Come to think of it, the top Quakes pitcher from my first season ('94) was Cincy's Danny Jackson. What ever happened to that guy?
1996 Chris Reed over Jason Reed----Chris also won the division for the "San Marcos League" with exactly 100 wins and the Quakes barely trailing behind at 99. I still believe I was robbed in the last regular season game against the Riots. Then again, I think I'm robbed----as we all do--- in at least 4-5 games a season.....
1997 Unknown---Robbie won the playoffs, but I'm not sure who won the division. It was either Robbie or Chaim. WOW!!!!!! The Reeds really dominated BBM in those early years..........
1998 Jason Reed---I can't remember who I beat, but it definitely wasn't one of my brothers. I still have my "1998 Playoff Champions" banner to prove it...
1999 Unknown--Can't recall who won the playoffs in either '99 or 2000, but it definitely wasn't a Reed. I think Robbie won the division in '99, but I'm not positive on this one.....
2000 Unknown
2001 Unknown---It was either Boogaman or Mel
2002 Rob Reed

Somewhere between 1996 - 1999 saw Robert Reed and Vicki Blucher joined the league---- I know for sure that my Dad joined the league in '99. Vicki's first year was either '97 or '98... Boogaman and Mel started in '99 or 2000 and Dr. Rub joined the club during my year of hiatus in '03.... I decided not to sign up in '03 because I wasn't keen on the idea of an All-Universe league. I'm an N.L. guy and I vaguely followed the A.L. players. A few months later, I decided to try an All-Universe league for a half season and ended up liking it.

Reply to Msg #2135
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #2144 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
saundrabeach  
Re: Special Thanks to Jason For His Help
4/15/07, 11:14pm
graphic
Thank you Robert for posting this note from Jason. I keep trying to get him to join us. He would be so valuable.

Yes, I can vouch for his incredible memory. He is our family historian. If Jason says something, we know not to argue with the facts.

He has the very best memory of the family for sure. Not forgetting how great looking he is.

TREAT OTHERS LIKE YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WELCOME EACH NEW DAY! Just When Your Children Are Fit To Live With, They Are Living With Someone Else!

Reply to Msg #2144
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

saundrabeach 's Blog

Message #2145 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Robert Reed  
Re: Updated as 0f 4/11/07 BBM History
4/16/07, 3:50am (Last Edited: 4/16/07, 4:01am)
graphic
This is all very interesting.
Chris Reed convinced me to join this league, his rationale was that I needed "to get with it", computerwise, and that B.B.M., would be a good way to get me interested., at the same time he "refused to walk me through" the draft, he did not want me to "steal" his picks.

Whilst it is true that Jason's memory can usually be relied on, my memory differs from his, Re. (his recollection), that I joined the league in 1999.

I WELL remember Viki's "Alligators", in 1998.
Along with all others,I was priveleged to play the Stoners for two years, knowing that the "Stoners" did not exist in 2000, that puts me in no later than 1998.

My first year in the league I lost out on reaching the the playoffs by one game to Chaim, from San Francisco, my second year I WON the league, got "knocked out" in the championship, again to Chaim,I believe he was the Series winner that year.

That 1st place banner was displayed in the library in L.A.

In BBm season 2000, I no longer lived in L.A.

In other words, I did not come in to the league the same year as "Booga", I would have never seen that league championship banner if my second year had been 2000, especially knowing that they are "not exactly swift" in sending out banners/ trophies.

1997 or 1998 is my start year, for "the sake of arguement", I'll go along with 1998, THEREFORE "Booga", you can "etch" my trophy in stone as 1999 League champion., 2005 World series winner.

Reply to Msg #2145
Back to Topics

Message #2148 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
Robert Jones  
Re: Updated as 0f 4/16/07 BBM History
4/16/07, 3:50pm (Last Edited: 4/16/07, 3:51pm)
am going to date our league as beginning in 1994 since that was the first year all of the Reed's started playing BBM together. Chris was the initial member of BBM and through him he introduced the rest of the Reeds to BBM. Mel and I got an invite as the league needed to fill a couple or three roster spots and I think we came in through a post on the Diamond Club. I am not sure if anyone has any old banners or baseballs that help to date the year of previous championships.

World Series History

1994 Rob Reed (San Bruno League)
1995 Jason Reed over Rob unknown from Kentucky (Del Mar League)
1996 Chris Reed over Jason Reed (San Marcos League)
1997 Rob Reed
1998 Jason Reed
1999 Chaim (Last Name Unkown)?
2000 Unknown
2001 Stoney Jones
2002 Rob Reed (Robinson League)

Regular Season History

1994 Rob Reed
1995 Unknown
1996 Chris Reed over Jason Reed 100 games to 99 games(Wow!)
1997 Unknown
1998 Unknown
1999 Robert Reed Sr.(?)
2000 Unknown
2001 Robert Jones(?)
2002 Rob Reed
2005 Mel Leonard

I have one other regular season championship but I don't remember what year.

Significant Debuts

1992 Chris Reed was the first to join
1993 Rob Reed joined the league
1994 Jason Reed and Mike Reed Joined the league
1998 Vicki Joined the league
1999 Mel Leonard and Robert Jones joined the league

Somewhere between 1996 - 1999 saw Robert Reed and Vicki Blucher joined the league

(Updated History as of 4/16/07)

Reply to Msg #2148
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter