RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest5733 (35.175.174.157)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Sports and Leisure : Reading "Thoughts on Bonds, Schilling Etc" Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #2207 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
Thoughts on Bonds, Schilling Etc
5/8/07, 11:05pm
I watched Schilling's comments today. I felt like Schilling gave an honest answer...of the way he (Schilling) felt about Bonds. I tended to agree with John Kruk's comments on the subject that Schilling crossed the line by getting into Bond's personal life. I think Schilling should have kept his comments strictly to baseball when asked.

One thing that infuriates me regarding the Bond's issue was the fact that the race card is being played. The allegation is everyone hates Bond's becuase he is black. I think most people hate Bonds because he can be arrogant, a jerk and people tend to think he cheated to get where he is....under those circumstances how can you not feel for Aaron.

I think that if Arod, Sosa, or Griffey, or McGwuire or Juan Pierre for that matter were on the verge of the record the feelings would be different....with Sosa and McGuire the shadow of steroid use and the allegation of cheating would still be there and perhaps even so with Griffey but less so with Griffey. The biggest difference is that Bonds can be so arrogant and such a jerk sometimes that he is easy to dislike. His race has nothing to do with it.

The bottom line is that Barry's personality makes him dislikable. His ethics have also been brought into question and people perceive him to have taken short cuts to get where he is. Aaron has an aura of honesty about him and his accomplishment. Aarons record has a purity about it. It is seen as an achievement, a culmination of one man's life's work accomplished with talent, hard work, and under extreme animosity and prejudice. It is like Aaron summited Everest and Bonds took an elevator to get there.

Bonds has tremedous talent...and watching him hit homeruns is incredible. It seems to me that it was disclosed by Bonds that he did use steroids unkowingly..... a cream that was applied by his trainer. That coupled with changes in his size and apparent strength makes for very convincing evidence that he did use steroids. The overwhelming consensus of baseball observers seems to be that Bonds is guilty of cheating and that coupled with his attitude and demeanor has tainted his acheivements and tainted the publics perception of the up coming milestone.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #2207
Back to Topics

Message #2208 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Robert Reed  
Re: Thoughts on Bonds, Schilling Etc
5/9/07, 11:04pm
graphic
As always, your comments are well thought out, and as per usual, I find myself agreeing with you.

As you say ,perhaps personal issues should have been NOT SAID.

I must say that "with or without steroids", Bonds would be one of the best players EVER to play the game., however having "succumbed
to "trying to get an unfair edge", his achievements will always be tainted.
He does NOT "measure up" to the greatness Hank Aaron achieved, and Aaron achieved his greatness in an era that was "barely beyond Jim Crow laws", I.E. Apartheid.
Even though I was a "newcomer" to baseball at the time, I remember vividly hearing Aaron hit "the immortal home run, off a pitcher known as "gentleman," Al Dowling, we had parked outside a store, and waited, (Robbie was there too).

Aaron achieved his record in an era which made it "a real uphill battle", and with the epithets "thrown his way" he remained "a very classy guy".

Bonds is a very arrogant fellow , makes no sense to me why.

He should be happy to be making millions playing a game that brings great rewards to all of us who watch, but should be "heaven on earth" to those who pursue "such a boyhood dream", and become millionaires , "to boot".

Reply to Msg #2208
Back to Topics

Message #2212 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Larry Levy  
5/10/07, 8:18am
graphic
Hi, Robert,

Right! Everyone hates Bonds because he's an a$$hole.!

What's yout take on the Schilling/bloody sock thing?

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #2212
Back to Topics

Message #2216 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Larry Levy
Robert Jones  
5/10/07, 1:09pm
>Hi, Robert,
>
>Right! Everyone hates Bonds because he's an a$$hole.!
>
>What's your take on the Schilling/bloody sock thing?

The Schilling sock thingy is nothing. If people want to see blood or if that is a story, they need to come to one of my ballgames. Schilling should have just rubbed a little dirt on it.

Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #2216
Back to Topics

Message #2218 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Larry Levy  
5/10/07, 3:09pm
graphic
>>Hi, Robert,
>>
>>Right! Everyone hates Bonds because he's an a$$hole.!
>>
>>What's your take on the Schilling/bloody sock thing?
>
>The Schilling sock thingy is nothing. If people want to see
>blood or if that is a story, they need to come to one of my
>ballgames. Schilling should have just rubbed a little dirt on
>it.
>
>

No, I meant the Doug Mirabelli story where he said that Schlling's bloody sock in the WS was faked with red paint. He later denied saying that and Schlling has also denied the story.

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #2218
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter