To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
BBM
10/2/07, 12:27am
Congrats to the play off teams. What a hard fought season it has been. I was doing my best to spoil it for someone at the end and couldn't even seem to do that.

I don't know what happened at the end against Dr. Rub with that GRF. I gave up more earned runs and had fewer total bases and still lost.

I really enjoy the comaraderie and in some ways BBM reflects real baseball in that the team with the most hits and fewest ER does not always win.

Next year if you want, everyone can send me $90 each and I'll set a schedule and send you an email every day letting you know if you won or lost. If we do that I predict a strong season for the Stogies.

It might be interesting to do a paid(Statracker) Yahoo League or something....if we are voting I vote to continue BBM but if not I'll go with the consensus. Yahoo would probably be much cheaper anyhow....If we do that, I would insist on head to head matchups.

Again congrats to the playoff teams. If anyone has any extra BBM playoff tickets and/or parking passes they could spare let me know and leave them at virtual will call....if not I might try to get a job as a virtual peanut vendor to get into see the games.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #2333
Back to Topics

Message #2335 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Rob Reed  
Re: BBM
10/2/07, 4:23pm
graphic
It was one of those weird seasons for me... I walked away from the draft thinking I had one of my best drafts ever (Getting Peavy and Santana in the pitcher's draft made me feel like I had the pitching locked up...

Then, I ruined my season by doing that blockbusterly one-sided trade (in hindsight) with the Quakes... I lost Soriano, Duncan (who went gangbusters for the first month I gave him up and then dropped off), Peavy, and Konerko. The Quakes, who were hovering in the lower end of the standings with me, seemed to like that deal.

I vote for yahoo head to head. The BBM formula has now gone downright ridiculous. Bases should never be counted more than runs scored, even if you are in a hitters park. In a hitter's park, the forula sees to treat singles as if they were 2-run homeruns.

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #2335
Back to Topics

Message #2339 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
drrubb
10/2/07, 8:43pm (Last Edited: 10/2/07, 8:45pm)
One thing the BBM needs to do away with is the hitters & pitchers parks. I believe that might make a big difference. Also, I agree & disagree with you Rob, respectfully. I agree that it seemed like the hitting counted way more this season than the pitching did. Maybe that it because half of the league had hitters parks & the other half had neutral parks. Obviously, there were no pitcher's parks. I slightly disagree that pitching should count considerably more. I think hitting & pitching shoud be equally important, or if pitching should be more important, I say by only a very slight margin.

If Team A has 30 total bases, but gives up 7 earned runs & if Team B has 20 total bases, but only gives up 2 earned runs, I would say that Team B should get the win, but I would say it would be just a 1 or 2 run win.

If Team A has 25 total bases & gives up 5 earned runs & team B has 20 total bases, but gives up 4 earned runs, I would probably say that should be a 1 run win by Team A.

If team A has 10 TB's & 1 earned run allowed & team B has 11 bases & 2 earned runs allowed, team A should win. Team B's one more base should not hold more weight than team A's one less earned run allowed.

If both teams have the same total bases & same earned runs allowed, the victory should go to the home team.

They need to do away with that silly game resolution formula & just devise a scoring system based strictly to neutral parks, total bases accumulated, & earned runs allowed.

Reply to Msg #2339
Back to Topics

Message #2340 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Robert Reed  
10/2/07, 8:55pm (Last Edited: 10/2/07, 9:49pm)
graphic
best wishes to all the playoff teams,---, oh, I am one of them too, along with Jason Reed, ,Dr. Rub,(who hates B.b.M., yet always gets in to the playoffs, and the "monkey team" from the beach.
I look forward to playing "the beach monkeys".

There were a number of games whereby I suffered from numbness over the entire body for half a day.

there were games, like "booga" experienced where I scored less runs, gave up "a ton of runs , and won the game, sometimes I scored more, gave up less, was the home team, seeking "neutrality", in a "neutral environment", and lost.
There were games where I had players "kick dirt" in an umpires direction, or "cuss without shame", or "fight in their own dugout", perhaps take pills, or "rub on some funny cream on their extremities", yet I still managed to get to the top four.

My vote is stay with B.B.M., but would defer to the majority if we could keep this group together., according to "the stats" are'nt we the #2 league in the nation?.

As for the season overall I think it "evened out".
Because of B.B.M. friends have been made, I for one have enjoyed the comraderie,Baltimore "naughty nurse " Vickie was "at the top" for a good part of the season, I had hoped she would make the playoffs.

(Incidentally Vickie, I will be in Wash. D.C. for an army reunion, over the years I have had no contact "with former buddies", this year, through the power of the internet, I have heard from "former army Mates", (guys, blokes, fellows, that is).
from 40 years ago
having left 40 years ago this upcoming December.

The reunion coincides with the 25th Anniversary of the "memorial Wall", lots of tears will be shed, and memories re-visited.

My unit will, (including me) be marching in the Parade Nov. 10th,not sure where(Having never been to D.C. where do parades march?, do they march down Pennsylvania Ave. then do "a quick eyes right to the White House?, or is it a "jaunt around the Mall", anyway, Veterans day weekend, if you are around,we could "meet up", bring the "Boys", to include your husband,(I know Baltimore is close by).
"Lunch on me",(disregard what the Lugs did to the "alligators and Nurses", will be there from Nov. 5th to the 12th.

As Robbie said Jason "stole" from him, I was "swept" by jason, (soriano and Peavy and went from 2nd to 4th in the last three games.
However, 4th means I still make the playoffs, and look forward to going to the beach "to beat up on those Monkeys", my starting line up will be quite formidable, Messers Lackey, Oswalt and Hammels., good luck to all.

Reply to Msg #2340
Back to Topics

Message #2341 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
drrubb
10/2/07, 9:04pm
I don't really hate BBM Mr. Reed. I actually like it. I just think they need to do something about that crazy formula. I still want to do BBM next season, but I also think it would be cool to start a head to head Yahoo league(prefer daily), all 10 of us in the BBM league. That way, for those of us who get a bit disgruntled with that silly game resolution formula, we have the Yahoo league to fall back on.

Reply to Msg #2341
Back to Topics

Message #2344 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
drrubb
Robert Reed  
10/2/07, 10:06pm
graphic
>I don't really hate BBM Mr. Reed. I actually like it. I just
>think they need to do something about that crazy formula. I
>still want to do BBM next season, but I also think it would be
>cool to start a head to head Yahoo league(prefer daily), all
>10 of us in the BBM league. That way, for those of us who get
>a bit disgruntled with that silly game resolution formula, we
>have the Yahoo league to fall back on.

Having met you, I know you are not the type of fellow to "hate anything", I agree that sometimes it seems like a crazy formula, but it usually "evens out".
I would like to continue with "B.B.M." but would defer to all others in order to keep the league together.

By the way, your "southern politeness" is much appreciated, however Mr. Reed is too formal, it could be replaced by "your Highness", "Rob the job", or perhaps my favourite "Dad/Granddad Reed".

Reply to Msg #2344
Back to Topics

Message #2346 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Reed
drrubb
10/3/07, 4:38am
Okay your majesty!

Reply to Msg #2346
Back to Topics

Message #2352 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
drrubb
Robert Jones  
10/4/07, 4:57am

LOL, Perhaps Mr. Your Majesty would be a little more respectful.

Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #2352
Back to Topics

Message #2361 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
drrubb
Jeremy Pate
10/10/07, 6:20am (Last Edited: 10/10/07, 6:22am)
OK...so it's been a while since I contributed anything of substance, but there's no time like the present.

Oh Scott, I feel your pain. After suffering through ANOTHER dreadful season, I agree with you about the game resolution formula. I'm a math geek and it makes me scratch my head. I get the formula, but I'm not sure about their reasoning behind the logic used for the resolution. My question is this: Has this formula been used to verify real games that have been played? Or is this an arbitrary equation that hasn't been tested? Does the formula have built-in biases (excluding hitters parks vs. pitchers parks)? I guess if I get bored with watching my fantasy football teams get destroyed this season (it's just that kind of fantasy year for me) I may have to sit down and breakdown the theorms to see for myself.

I'm on the fence about whether to stay with Baseball Manager next year (but I do want to stay active with this league no matter what direction we go in). I've done Yahoo! leagues in the past. The results are a lot more straightforward. I run one fantasy football league which Scott, Robert and Mel (PCB Seamonkeys) are in and they can talk about my skills and even-handedness as a commish (but if someone else would like to run it that's fine with me). I wonder if there's an auction option in Yahoo, because I do like having eight nights of drafting with the salary cap and the accompanying fiscal strategy.

Just my .02.

2008 is going to be great with Pate!

Oh, and Rob, Tim Hudson says "hello".

Reply to Msg #2361
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter