Message #886 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Dr. Rub
BBM
8/17/04, 6:59am (Last Edited: 8/17/04, 8:07am)
Congrats to you on your ass whipping of me! I got ot say that that series took a lot out of me & I'm just starting to wonder when this current season is going to come to an end. It seems like I've been in first place forever by atleast 7 to 11 games for quiet sometime now. I'm only 16-17 since the all star break though! I feel like my team has peaked too early! This is much too much like work & mental stress man. I get this wierd feeling that for as good of a season as I have had thus far overall, I'm somehow going to wind up losing it at the very end. It has been mentally depleting! To be where I'm currently at in the standings, it seems like you have to stay on top of it every single day & I feel like I'm doing all I can. Your team is coming on & your team quiet frankly scares me the most! I can't believe I can't draw any homeruns out of my statbank. I have like a hundred & sixty or seventy of them sitting in there just waiting to be drawn & it has been hard to do it. My philosophy about that though is like owning a gun. It's better to have them & not need them than to need them & not have them.

Win or lose this season, I think I'm going to sit out next season. It has nothing to do with winning or losing or with anybody in the league, or the BBM itself. It has just been too mentally draining. Besides, I hate Coach Kessler! Who the hell is this guy anyway? Constantly trying to stay on top of it to maintain the lead in the standings & the good season I have had atleast to this point has been draining, especially considering how tough this league is & how competitive it is & has been. I have thouroughly enjoyed it, but I need a one year break from it. I guess I'm just a pussy! I have put so much time & effort into this that it has sucked the fire out of me for this upcoming fantasy football season, which is my main fantasy sports love. Nothing against baseball! I love baseball! It is a pretty close second. I need to take a season off & concentrate on some other things & give myself a fantasy sports break after this current fantasy baseball season is over & after this upcoming fantasy football season is over. A good 8 months away from fantasy sports of any kind will do me a lot of good & recharge my battery for it. I literally spend atleast an hour or so a day on most days just looking at fantasy baseball & the BBM. I guess that's my fault for taking it seriously, but it seems like that is what it takes to stay competitive & at or near the top in this tough competitive league. We are still number 1 in BBM Universal leagues in league strength factor.

I hope I don't sound like a whiner or another Ricky Williams. After all, it's usually someone who has had a rough season or two in the BBM that would consider giving it up or just taking a break from it. Since I've been in this league so far, my overall record, not counting the playoffs is 158-118. That's pretty good, but it has been a shit load of work to do that. I commend & respect you guys & everyone in this league who sticks with it year after year, season after season, win or lose. Regardless of how well or bad I'm doing in the BBM, I just can't see myself doing it every year, every season. I can see myself doing it here & there though, because I really enjoy it. I don't think I bleed it like some of you guys though!

On top of all of this, I'm way too superstitous about fantasy sports in general, but especially fantasy baseball! I do some wierd crap man! I believe I have posted something on here before about this. "Superstitions that work 50% of the time!"
I'll do stuff like re arrange the pillows on my couch to form the shape of a "W" for a win. I do stuff like puting my VCR on the channel of the win I'm going after the night before. Example: if I'm going for my 70th win of the season, I'll put that VCR on channel 70 & sleep on it over night. That superstitious tactic has worked most of the season so far, but obviously not the last 3 nights! I do a lot of superstitous things with numbers which is too hard to explain & too detailed to go into. I might try to do that on another post sometime. If I'm on a losing streak, I'll move furniture or shit around in my condo to just try to change the movement of dust or matter to create a positive or changing feeling in hopes it will reverse my bad luck or losing streak. I mean, I'm talking about stupid shit that don't even pertain to baseball in anyway! If I'm going for 5 wins in a row for example, I'll shake my shirt 5 times before I put it on. I do things like how many strokes of deoderent do I stroke under each armpit that goes along with the superstitious number thing or scheme I mentioned earlier. When I'm listening to music in my car to & from work, the number the volume is on in my car on my sterio usually has some wierd quirky thing to do with some number I'm thinking about that pertains to the BBM & my superstitious BBM success or shortcomings.

I can go on & on with a few other things pertaining this subject matter, but I hope all of this just illustrates or kind of explains the point I've been trying to make. I know the Sleestacks will sometimes, if not all the time put his opponents line up for that particular day whether it be fantasy baseball or fantasy football in his refrigerater freezer after he writes it down on a piece of paper. I guess that might signify his opponents team is going to be ice cold that day. I guess you might label our upcoming series as superstition vs. superstition. That is another story though. In conclusion, I have no one to blame but myself. I have a hard time being in something, especially competitive unless I'm 100 percent about it, concerning the effort I put into it. I'm not sure I can do that for another BBM season at this point.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #886
Back to Topics

Message #887 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Dr. Rub
Rob Reed  
Re: BBM
8/17/04, 3:27pm
graphic
>Congrats to you on your ass whipping of me! I got ot say that
>that series took a lot out of me & I'm just starting to wonder
>when this current season is going to come to an end. It seems
>like I've been in first place forever by atleast 7 to 11 games

Thanks for the Congrats... although you shouldn't be so frustrated. Here... I'll make you feel better with this thought. We have -- essentially -- about 6 more weeks of games. You are a week and a day ahead of second place.

The odds that you will win the season are completely with you. I don't think anyone can catch you.

My team has caught fire recently, and it is due -- thankfully -- to my relief corp. As you know, I have lost two of my big players in Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey in the last two weeks.

So, I am due for a slump... I can only hope that I eek into the final 4 this year, so that I can have some fun in the playoffs. It is far from a guarantee...

Truth be told, I don't think ANYBODY has a chance in hell to catch your team.

The break off of baseball is a welcome one for me, too... and -- often times (especially with my other league, where I am Commissioner), I say I won't come back the next season... but when March rolls around, the itch is back.

I would only recommend to you in future years not to take it SOOO seriously. If there was a money prize, I would treat it more like a job... as we only get a pennant in this one (and a pretty flimsy one), it isn't worth all of that pressure.

Now, get your pillows in order, and prepare for the playoffs.

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #887
Back to Topics

Message #890 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Dr. Rub
Re: BBM
8/17/04, 9:17pm (Last Edited: 8/17/04, 9:18pm)
I'm not frustrated by any means really! I could be in last place, well maybe not last, & be enjoying fantasy baseball. The only thing I guess I was trying to say is how tough it is & how much work it seems you have to do to stay on top & on top of things in the BBM. It can take a lot out of you at times. I know it's all fun & games, but like everyone else, I still want to win & that means staying on top of it constantly or even daily & getting a little luck of course.

"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #890
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter