RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest13239 (3.229.122.166)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Sports and Leisure : Reading "Reminiscing and Anticipating. " Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #985 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Robert Jones  
Reminiscing and Anticipating.
10/17/04, 10:53pm (Last Edited: 11/10/04, 6:29pm)
I often hear sports announcer etc. sometime make a comment sneering at "beer league softball". I have played ball all of my life and have been a fan of Major League baseball for an equal amount of time. I love sport.

If you ever want to watch raw intensity and people playing the game because they love the game and not because it provides them an income then take a walk down to a local Saturday softball tournament or watch a serious team in a local league on league night.

Over the years I have had the opportunity to play alongside and against a variety of college players, a few major league prospects, and a few former big league players. I have also taken the field with and against a few former NFL player including one who wore a Superbowl Championship Ring from his days with the Packers. I have also played against construction workers, attorneys, judges, accountants, engineers etc. Many of these people possess incredible latent athletic abilities.

I remember one college player in particular who came out to play for us and he made an observation and a statement, "You guys take this too seriously.

My brother and I were reminiscing about the passage of time and some of the up-and-coming new teams and players and they don't even know who we are anymore. There is no hall of fame or any record books to detail the seasons and time put in. The faces of great teams and great players have faded from our local games. Sitting at the empty park in the bleachers I can remember about old times and great plays and championships won and lost. I can hear the voices of the players echoing in the wind

I have a storage shed filled with old personal trophies and most of the team trophies we would win as a team, if they did not go to a sponsor, we would strip the plackard and replace it with a new one and recycle it to cut expenses as we would award them out again in tournaments we would put on to raise funds for our team. Those I don't have and would not have a place to store them if they had been retained.

Sitting in the parking lot after a game we talk about old games and near brawls. Broken bones and old championships, the infamous fogbowl game, saving Doug the blind ump from a thumping an angry player threatened him with, old rivals and fantastic plays that survive as legend in the whispered conversations of the old guys. We talk of winning a championship one night when we won three games back to back playing with only nine players and having an automatic out in the lineup in the tenth spot.

The old Renegade team was the best for me. It was the best team I have ever been a part of and we could play some ball or play some brawl whatever your game we could cater it. Only the old guys remember us now. The new faces, they try to follow in our footsteps, they don't know it or even who we were/are but they are following them. If there was a hall of fame for local teams we would have spot there. During our time we could bring a game against anyone in three homer and an out ball.

Today Pee Wee is living on Louisianna, Mel has retired from the game, Grant has retired from the game, Stoney and I face off from opposing teams and a few more of us are scattered about. We always talk about those endless seasons and fame and heroism that we acheived together.

I wish that I had some of the athletic ability back that I have lost as I age. Always when I played if I took one off the shins or in the chest or elsewhere, the pain would only fuel my intensity and make me better and meaner. Today, the pain is chronic and perpetual, both achilles tendons and my right knee are causing problems. I fear I have a torn ACL in my knee as I have problems decelerating and cutting left. There is a little pain in it but what concerns me most is that is will not withstand the motions I want to put it through. My linear speed is coming back as I recover from foot injuries but pain is a part of my game still and it appears that it will only become more intense over time. I have always used it, pain, to fuel my intensity and today I am the most intense player you will ever see in any sport.

I expect myself to bat 1.000 and to make every single play that I get the opportunity to make. I always want the ball in my hands. I want the ball hit at me as hard as it can be hit and I want to be the one at bat when the game is on the line. I live for collision or impact and am as hard-nosed a player as you will find at any level of the game. I want to face off against the good teams and the best players as I am equal to anything they can do and I am ready to show it. When the game is on the line I want to be in the center of the action wherever the action is.

There are some weaknesses in my game and in my body but you will not see them revealed on the field as I will extend the limits of my ability and I believe I can do anything.

If you face off against me on the field you are gonna see a big brown haired guy with an extremely dirty #8 uniform and blood stains around the knees and most likely a dirt caked bloody elbow. He will be pounding a fist into his first base mitt with fiery intensity in his eyes. Most places with bare skin will be caked with chalk and dirt. He is going to be vocal, a team leader, letting everyone on the infield know of the game situation and the number of outs and will be willing to compliment anyone on either team for a fine play.

This guy will dive for anything close to him and will be coaching a base if he is not batting when his team is in. You will see him going up the chain link chasing even hoplessly foul balls. He will play with a completely reckless nature and will play hard no matter what the score is.

This guy will have a good nature and a good humor about him in contrast to his intensity and even with his good nature you will know he is all business as a player and will do anything to make a play. I live for Thursday nights!

The ball fields are battle fields and are the stages for battles and warriors to come. They are haunted with the battles of yesterday and are the venue for those battles of this week and next year and decades to come. A perpetual dance and conflict that is never the same but is always the same.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #985
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Robert Jones's Blog

Message #986 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Robert Jones  
Re: Reminiscing and Anticipating.
10/17/04, 11:05pm (Last Edited: 11/10/04, 6:29pm)
When I write I reflect what I am feeling and what is inside me at the time. I guess this post while it may seem to some as bragery or boastfulness it is not meant that way. It is a self portrait expressed in words that define an important part of who I am. Part of my inner character and drive is defined by who I am and what I am and that character is portrayed on the ballfield. It is an absolute intensity combined with a completely reckless refusal to give an inch and a tombstone courage. All of this is internal and is reflected in my sport.

Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #986
Back to Topics

This message has been added to these RRBBS++ Blogs:

Robert Jones's Blog

Message #988 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Dr. Rub
Re: Reminiscing and Anicipating.
10/18/04, 7:17am
I enjoyed reading that post Robert! I have to say that post was one of your finest post atleast in my opinion. You write with enthusiasm & you are very creative & articulate with your posts. I would put that post in your top 2 or 3 of all time, although you have had a lot of good ones. I guess I say I would put that in your top 2 or 3 maybe because it hit me on a personal level.

Although slightly different & a slightly different level & slightly different sport I might add, I felt the same emotion & intensity when I played baseball for 13 seasons. Although it was at the childhood ages & teenage years, the compitition was much the same. I was a heck of a player in my day, making the all star team for the respective leagues I played in several times. It seemed to me that the little league & junior major league compitition was so much more intense & personal back in the days that I played than it is today. Today's little league focuses more on kids having fun & getting to play, & sportsmanship, which is all good. Don't get me wrong! However, it seems to take a little intensity & desire to win out of the game. I've seen little league games these days where some leagues don't even keep score. There is no winner & loser. That's disgraceful! The kids also look like they should be in the first grade! Back when I played, we had some big kids! We had a big black kid who could throw nearly 90 mph from a little league mound.

I remember other dramatic & very personal situations like when our Mid City team, the Florida Title Seminoles had to go play a game in Southport some 18 or 19 years ago. We were going up against a very talented team & their best team. We were our league's best team, but our team was half black & half white. Southport's team was all white as you might imagine back in those days especially. We were not openly welcome there! The game was an all out war. We played 11 innings & our team won 6 to 5 off a black player on our team hitting a game winning home run & pitching the bottom half of the inning & keeping them from scoring preserving the win for us. Needless to say, not a very pleasant sight from the local crowd & parents of the opposing team. There were nearly fights in the stands. We left as quickly as possible after the game.

There were many wars like this in my days of playing, not necessarily along racial lines though. I could go on for hours talking about those battles on the fields but I don't really have time at this point.

Nevertheless, great post Boogaman!

"Losers always whine about giving their best. Winners get to go home & ---- the prom queen." (Sean Connery)

Reply to Msg #988
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter