RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest13239 (3.229.122.166)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : Sports and Leisure : Reading "Dodger-Cardinal Handshake Bad?" Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #989 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Rob Reed  
Dodger-Cardinal Handshake Bad?
10/19/04, 12:01am
graphic
MLB Disciplinarian (and, I would argue, second-dumbass-in-command) Bob Watson has this to say about the Dodger-Cardinal handshake that occurred in Dodger Stadium when the Cards whooped the Blue Crew in 4.

"I don't like it. We do it at the Olympic level, but we play 162 games and (players) are not going to shake hands. Go ask Nolan Ryan if he's going to shake their hands after they beat you. We play a different game. They do it in hockey (in the playoffs), but that's a tradition."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/9
945737.htm?1c

Source: Dodger Thoughts

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #989
Back to Topics

Message #990 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Larry Levy  
Re: Dodger-Cardinal Handshake Bad?
10/19/04, 1:38pm
graphic
>MLB Disciplinarian (and, I would argue,
>second-dumbass-in-command) Bob Watson has this to say about
>the Dodger-Cardinal handshake that occurred in Dodger Stadium
>when the Cards whooped the Blue Crew in 4.
>
>"I don't like it. We do it at the Olympic level, but we play
>162 games and (players) are not going to shake hands. Go ask
>Nolan Ryan if he's going to shake their hands after they beat
>you. We play a different game. They do it in hockey (in the
>playoffs), but that's a tradition."
>
>http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/9
>htm?1c
>
>Source: Dodger Thoughts

Watson is an idiot. It was a neat thing to do and I wish there was more of it in baseball.

They also do it in football. Its not a formal thing, but players do schmooze after the game. I suppose he thinks that's wrong too.

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #990
Back to Topics

Message #991 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Robert Jones  
10/19/04, 6:51pm
I was a huge Watson fan when he was a player but I disagree with him. There is a lesson that needs to be portrayed that it is only a game and when the game is over we all need to be able to get along again. We don't need to teach hate. If Watson's message is delivered then do away with warnings and ejections on bean balls or high and tight. Let them play basebrawl and fill the stands with ala WWF night.

Every level I have ever played we have shaken hands after the game. If a team can beat me or my team one on one I can be man enough to shake their hand. There have been some teams and player that I held a grudge against but I could at the very least shake hands even if I might be saying "You know this ain't over?" while I'm doing it.

Why does Bob "The Bull" Watson use Nolan Ryan as an example? Nolan is a symbol of Texas toughness but if he is a man he can shake hands? Why did Bob not use himself as an example? Bob could say what is on his mind. "When I played the game I was not man enough to put the grudge behind me long enough to shake hands with my opponents after a loss because I was a professional."

If he does not want to shake hands after the game then why not before the game? A player like Nolan would have the opportunity to ice his opponent with the look in eyes.

Friends are the best collectibles

Reply to Msg #991
Back to Topics

Message #993 of 2499  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Larry Levy  
10/19/04, 9:41pm (Last Edited: 10/19/04, 9:41pm)
graphic
I bet you guys don't remember that Bob Watson scored the 1 millionth run in MLB back in the late 70's. I remember there was a big contest to guess when it would happen. Watson scored from third on a single, I think.

" I lift up mine eyes to the hills, whence cometh my help.", Psalm 121

Reply to Msg #993
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter