RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest63835 (54.196.107.247)
Read Mode: Topics
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : RRBBS Bug Reports/Updates : Reading "One thing I don't understand" Thread

Username Password

This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #1597 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob
Thomas Canty
One thing I don't understand
10/20/07, 1:41pm
Yesterday, in one of the big chat threads on POTN, I mentioned the music threads going on here, and posted a link to Robert's post here that started it all.

That's when everyone informed me that clicking the link only told them they would have to log in to see the posts... Some kind of "Due to spam" error...

Ok, I can understand why you would require people to log in to POST a message, but how does requiring membership to read posts here prevent spam? It doesn't, but it did prevent several potential new members from joining. It also prevents search engines from indexing the site, which means RRBBS won't show up in searches, which means there are countless more new members lost.

Weren't you just wondering why there was only a small handful of us using this place? I think I may have discovered the reason...

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ldphotography.net/

Reply to Msg #1597
Back to Topics

Message #1598 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Rob Reed  
Re: One thing I don't understand
10/20/07, 11:14pm
graphic
Hi Lon :

Actually, this is only because I am sure you were referring them to a thread using the READ command... change the referral to the threaded link and it'll work fine.

For non-regulars, I wanted to make full threads available to guests...

If you didn't refer them with a link containing read.pl, then lemme know asap so I can look to find a bug...

"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reply to Msg #1598
Back to Topics

Message #1599 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Thomas Canty
Re: One thing I don't understand
10/21/07, 12:45am
>Actually, this is only because I am sure you were referring
>them to a thread using the READ command... change the
>referral to the threaded link and it'll work fine.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. You're right, I was linking to one specific post, not an entire thread. I'll try giving them a threaded link and see if they have any problems getting to it.

http://www.ldphotography.net/

Reply to Msg #1599
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter