RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest13543 (35.175.191.150)
Posts: 0
Read Mode: Topics
Status: Guest
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : RRBBS Bug Reports/Updates : Reading "Featured Post Add ons and Blog" Thread

Username Password


This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #882 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Rob Reed  
Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/15/04, 12:01am
graphic
I have added a "Featured Post" graphic to posts that get greenlighted for the RRBBS homepage.

And, the new blog advert system on the side of blogged messages seems to be working fine, after I just fixed a bug that I discovered with Thomas Canty's latest blog additions (I love the new photographs, by the way).

Any comments and suggestions... please post em up.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #882
Back to Topics


Message #884 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Thomas Canty
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/15/04, 5:48pm
>I have added a "Featured Post" graphic to posts that get
>greenlighted for the RRBBS homepage.

I was gonna suggest that, after I saw the blog ad you added yesterday...


>after I just fixed a bug
>that I discovered with Thomas Canty's latest blog additions

What bug? I didn't see anything strange there.

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ldphotography.net/
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #884
Back to Topics


Message #886 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Rob Reed  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/16/04, 12:56pm
graphic
>What bug? I didn't see anything strange there.

The "blog" advert could only properly be seen by the person owning the blog... instead of seeing "Thomas Canty's Blog" in that box, I saw "Rob Reed's blog" and it was directing to my blog.

Bug has been fixed.

By the way, if you want to name your blog and/or change colors, you can do so by clicking "Blog configuration" from within your edit statistics page.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #886
Back to Topics


Message #890 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Thomas Canty
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/16/04, 6:52pm
>By the way, if you want to name your blog and/or change
>colors, you can do so by clicking "Blog configuration" from
>within your edit statistics page.

Oh, that's working now? I tried that a while ago and got some error. I don't even remember what the error was any more. I'll try it again...

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ldphotography.net/
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #890
Back to Topics


Message #892 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Rob Reed  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/18/04, 12:03pm
graphic
>Oh, that's working now? I tried that a while ago and got some
>error. I don't even remember what the error was any more. I'll
>try it again...

Yup... looks like booga has made some changes of his own... good example (I had to download the Lucida Handwriting font, though). I did find it on the net for free, if anyone is interested (there is also a site that charges something like $25 for it).

boogaman.com

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #892
Back to Topics


Message #894 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Robert Jones  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/18/04, 4:59pm (Last Edited: 7/18/04, 4:59pm)
>
>Yup... looks like booga has made some changes of his own...
>good example (I had to download the Lucida Handwriting font,
>though). I did find it on the net for free, if anyone is
>interested (there is also a site that charges something like
>$25 for it).
>
>boogaman.com

I hope I didn't catch you by surprise with it. One of the strange things about the edit stats/blog configuration page is the lack of drop down boxes. It narrows options to what I know or what I can find and try.

What does the graphic link do? And.....can it be used with my Boogaman logo?

I love the new look though.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #894
Back to Topics


Message #895 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Rob Reed  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/22/04, 6:28pm
graphic
>I hope I didn't catch you by surprise with it. One of the
>strange things about the edit stats/blog configuration page is
>the lack of drop down boxes. It narrows options to what I
>know or what I can find and try.

Eventually, the plan is to have some links to sites that have the color codes (or just have a list available online here). I just haven't gotten to that yet... soon, though.

I want the system to be flexible... even to folks who use the free system... anyone is able to use any possible color code out there (and font type).

>What does the graphic link do? And.....can it be used with my
>Boogaman logo?

The graphics link is just for a background graphic for now... it can be used with the boogaman logo...

>I love the new look though.

Thanks... I like your font usage and colors, as well... is there anything you could recommend that you would want to change?

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #895
Back to Topics


Message #896 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Rob Reed  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/22/04, 6:32pm
graphic
By the way, the blogging functions appear to work... there is a problem with the up and down arrows that only you can see on your blog when you are logged in (so don't use these for now, until I can figure out that bug).

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #896
Back to Topics


Message #897 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Robert Jones  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/24/04, 9:14pm
>By the way, the blogging functions appear to work... there is
>a problem with the up and down arrows that only you can see on
>your blog when you are logged in (so don't use these for now,
>until I can figure out that bug).

10-4

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #897
Back to Topics


Message #898 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Robert Jones  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/24/04, 9:26pm
>
>Thanks... I like your font usage and colors, as well... is
>there anything you could recommend that you would want to
>change?

If you are seeking some suggestions I think perhaps the ability to change font size and perhaps higlight or at least bold or italicize text would be a nice option. Also when someone clicks the "more" box the colors change from the original page.

When I look at my blog page my eye seems to be drawn to the top of the page as if something needs to be bigger or shaped differently or perhaps added. Another possible proposed option would be the ability to line up the wording by line, somewhat like poetry or to give the option of placing a poem there in stanza form.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #898
Back to Topics


Message #899 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Christo Jones
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/24/04, 10:28pm (Last Edited: 7/24/04, 10:30pm)
How 'bout linking rrbbs and http://smileycentral.com/ to add more smiley faces and some creative color to rrbbs?

--------------------------------------------------------
I'd rather have a bad day of fishing than a good day at school.
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #899
Back to Topics


Message #900 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Christo Jones
Rob Reed  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/25/04, 12:48pm
graphic
>How 'bout linking rrbbs and http://smileycentral.com/ to add
>more smiley faces and some creative color to rrbbs?

Unfortuntely, smileycentral wants you to use their PROGRAM and not just their graphics. I would likely get in trouble.

If you are good with computer graphics, go ahead and design some of your own... the graphics that I have stuck up here so far were desgined quickly just to see if I could get them to work.

Some might remember that I tried a George Bush and baby face. The problem with those is that they were too big, so that they separated the text too much...

After I get most of my list of priority projects for this board completed (the blogging functions and voting, in particular), I'll tackle some of the graphics.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #900
Back to Topics


Message #901 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Rob Reed  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/25/04, 12:54pm
graphic
>If you are seeking some suggestions I think perhaps the
>ability to change font size and perhaps higlight or at least
>bold or italicize text would be a nice option. Also when
>someone clicks the "more" box the colors change from the
>original page.

Good suggestions. I will add these abilities.

>When I look at my blog page my eye seems to be drawn to the
>top of the page as if something needs to be bigger or shaped
>differently or perhaps added. Another possible proposed
>option would be the ability to line up the wording by line,
>somewhat like poetry or to give the option of placing a poem
>there in stanza form.

I want to make sure that the FREE version is good enough for a basic blog... enough to entice users to want to upgrade for more flexibility.

I will give you a free upgrade very soon, which will allow you to design the page however you want (I'll help you with this, too... with some of the graphics). Your blog and adoptblog.com get a good deal of traffic, so I definitely want yours to look superior to the basic blog structure.

What do you mean by having the option of placing a poem in stanza form exactly? I've seen your poems on your blog, and they seem to look okay... do you mean to have them centered?

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #901
Back to Topics


Message #902 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Robert Jones  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/25/04, 1:33pm

>
>What do you mean by having the option of placing a poem in
>stanza form exactly? I've seen your poems on your blog, and
>they seem to look okay... do you mean to have them centered?

What I was looking at and may be able to change just by hitting the enter button is the intro line to my blog "A Collection Of My Writings And Ponderings". When I see this on a smaller screen it is three lines, I think, when I see it on a larger screen it is all one line. I will play around with it and see.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #902
Back to Topics


Message #903 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Robert Jones  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/25/04, 1:39pm
Yeah, when I have the screen minimized the intro is, I believe, four lines and the top of the screen is a little bigger. I think the bigger top looks a little better.

The whole blog system is excellent right now though even without any additions. The creative tools are a very nice addition.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #903
Back to Topics


Message #904 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Robert Jones  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
7/31/04, 4:16pm (Last Edited: 7/31/04, 4:16pm)
Is it okay to blog a message now?

Also, have you thought about adding a topics or chapter feature to the blogs so that one could group similar themed blog entries together? At present I think I'm the only one blogging enough that this may matter to.

--------------------------------------------------------
Friends are the best collectibles
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #904
Back to Topics


Message #905 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Robert Jones
Rob Reed  
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
8/5/04, 10:18am
graphic
>Is it okay to blog a message now?

Absolutely. If you encounter any problems, let me know. I have essentially fixed the up and down arrows function that moves blog entries as well. The problem with this right now is that the, when you use an arrow, the blog resets to the first page, which is kind of a pain... I will fix it eventually so that it returns to the page to the place where the blog entry has been moved.

>Also, have you thought about adding a topics or chapter
>feature to the blogs so that one could group similar themed
>blog entries together? At present I think I'm the only one
>blogging enough that this may matter to.

Great idea... not TOO hard to implement, I don't think.

I think this can be best accomplished by allowing the blogger to create their own categories on the blog config page... then, under each blog entry, have an option to categorize the entry, if desired.

Hmmm...

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #905
Back to Topics


Message #906 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
BBlast
Re: Featured Post Add ons and Blog
8/6/04, 6:21am
graphic
>>Also, have you thought about adding a topics or chapter
>>feature to the blogs so that one could group similar themed
>>blog entries together? At present I think I'm the only one
>>blogging enough that this may matter to.
>
>Great idea... not TOO hard to implement, I don't think.

I was just talking yesterday to another VB prgrammer in England, and we were talking about things that "should" be easy...and how, everytime you think that..it usually involves some major work!

One of those "laws" I think......

--------------------------------------------------------
"All human arrogance and ego can be expressed in two words. 'You Should'. "
-

Eat at BBlast's - - Home of the California Brisket Sandwich!

www.signatureclaims.net

--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #906
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter