RRBBS In the ChatRoom: Nobody
User: Guest5075 (54.242.25.198)
Posts: 0
Read Mode: Topics
Status: Guest
  RRBBS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

RRBBS.com Home : RRBBS : RRBBS Bug Reports/Updates : Reading "Graphics and New Blog Structure" Thread

Username Password


This ad only appears to Guests viewing a message thread

Message #930 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
All
Rob Reed  
Graphics and New Blog Structure
10/19/04, 10:38pm
graphic
I probably should have done this before, as it will make it a lot easier to post cool pics on the front page (especially Mr. Canty and Carol's awesome pics that they post up)... when you post a graphic, it is FORCED a 450 pixel width.

This would only POSSIBLY create cosmetic problems if the graphic was less in width... but, for just about all of you who post images on here, this isn't a problem.

Most importantly, I am fiddling with the blog structure to make it look more like the standard ones found at blogspot and typepad.

Ignore the colors, for the most part, when looking at the sample... the colors will be completely configurable, as will be the fonts.

Also, you won't have MY photo on the page, of course.

I'm using Booga's "Boogaman Chronicles" as my guide, and I designed a logo for his blog... check it out at:

http://www.rrbbs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/newuserblogs.pl?32
-0

I like Lonnie's, as well, with his photos reduced in size...

http://www.rrbbs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/newuserblogs.pl?21
-0

Thoughts, suggestions, add-ons?

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #930
Back to Topics


Message #931 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Rob Reed  
Re: Graphics and New Blog Structure
10/19/04, 10:39pm (Last Edited: 10/19/04, 10:40pm)
graphic
FYI: At the very bottom of the page, I intend on having links to go to the next and previous blog pages...

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #931
Back to Topics


Message #932 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Thomas Canty
Re: Graphics and New Blog Structure
10/20/04, 7:47am
>I probably should have done this before, as it will make it a
>lot easier to post cool pics on the front page (especially Mr.
>Canty and Carol's awesome pics that they post up)... when you
>post a graphic, it is FORCED a 450 pixel width.

Does this only affect the image when it's put on the front page, or will it forcefully resize them in messages also? If the latter, I'm sorry, but that will just make me reluctant to ever post a picture here again. 450 pixels just much too small for a picture (in fact, one big gripe I've always had is that the images you post are little more than thumbnails and too damned hard to see any detail).

Keeping my pictures "web safe" is one thing I've always kept in mind when working on them. Before posting somewhere on the web, I always resize them to a minimum of 640 pixels on the longest side, then use JPEG compression to get them to about 100K. That maintains the best image quality while keeping it friendly to dialup users.

Forcing the width to 450 pixels via HTML doesn't save any time in downloading, since the visitor still has to download the full sized image. All it ends up doing is making the picture smaller and degrading quality. Not a good compromise, in my opinion.

>Most importantly, I am fiddling with the blog structure to
>make it look more like the standard ones found at blogspot and
>typepad.

I like the new look. It looks a little fancier. I don't like resizing the pictures there either, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ldphotography.net/
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #932
Back to Topics


Message #933 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
Rob Reed  
Re: Graphics and New Blog Structure
10/20/04, 10:40am
graphic
>Does this only affect the image when it's put on the front
>page, or will it forcefully resize them in messages also? If
>the latter, I'm sorry, but that will just make me reluctant to
>ever post a picture here again. 450 pixels just much too small
>for a picture (in fact, one big gripe I've always had is that
>the images you post are little more than thumbnails and too
>damned hard to see any detail).

Well, then I'll just have to change this... I like your pictures too much.

The problem, as I see it, is that for those with smaller resolution screens, the pictures are just too big. It was never a bandwidth issue for me... just a cosmetic issue. I hate it when the page requires the user to scroll side-to-side in addition to up-and-down.

What I will likely do is allow the user the option to reduce picture size... and reduce on the main, features page, only.

Good compromise?

Thanks for your opinion on this...

>I like the new look. It looks a little fancier. I don't like
>resizing the pictures there either, though.

I'll make that a blog configuration option, as well...

--------------------------------------------------------
"Treat the Earth not as if it was given to you by your parents, but as if it was lent to you by your children." - Kenyan Proverb

"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #933
Back to Topics


Message #934 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Rob Reed
Thomas Canty
Re: Graphics and New Blog Structure
10/20/04, 2:16pm
>Well, then I'll just have to change this... I like your
>pictures too much.

I hope it didn't sound like I was forcing you to change it. I didn't mean to twist your arm...

>The problem, as I see it, is that for those with smaller
>resolution screens, the pictures are just too big.

Are there really enough low-res people left to make it worth worrying about? Lemme check my site's stats...

Ok, the way I see it, the only people who would have a problem viewing a 640xwhatever image on a web site, complete with other text, would be someone whose screen resolution is lower than 800x600. Personally, I don't know anyone running less than 1024x768. Here's the rundown of visitors' screen sizes from my brother's web site stats (he gets more visitors, so I used his):

1. 1024x768 56.2%
2. 800x600 30.9%
3. 1280x1024 9.3%
4. 1600x1200 or greater 1.2%
5. 640x480 1.2%
6. Unknown 1.2%
Total visitors: 33,085

Personally, I'd say the 640x480 crowd ain't worth worrying about. By now they're probably used to web sites looking bad on their screen.

>What I will likely do is allow the user the option to reduce
>picture size... and reduce on the main, features page, only.
>
>Good compromise?

Sounds good. That's definitely better than forcing everyone to go with one or the other.

>I'll make that a blog configuration option, as well...

Great!

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ldphotography.net/
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #934
Back to Topics


Message #935 of 1628  *NEW*
To
From
Subject
Date
Thomas Canty
vicki  
Re: Graphics and New Blog Structure
10/20/04, 6:27pm
graphic
I like the ghosts & goblins!

--------------------------------------------------------
Do or do not. There is no try.
---Yoda
--------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic
Next Topic
Reply to Msg #935
Back to Topics

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter